Impoverished Educational Attitude

Should We Be Concerned About Americans Ghetto Children's Education?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

agstew

Hi I'm Allen Stewart,

I believe there is a growing problem in America. Blacks and Mexicans families need to find a way to keep more children in school in our poor communities.

There is stress in America due to the current economic conditions, but for the children growing up in impoverished America, life goes on as usual. Nothing has changed for the kid in the ghetto. The ghetto child grows up in a household where money is scarce all the time, the ghetto child’s life has been unaffected by the economic changes taking place in America. Households with one working parent, a deficient provision for support with childcare, teens left on his or her own in many homes, and there is no adult for the ghetto child to turn to for help with homework. A child struggling in their classes many times may feel hopeless with nowhere to turn. Yet the stress stricken existence, the hunger filled days of survival, the lonely times with no one to turn to for help, keeps life in its relative normal state for the ghetto child where the lack of money is a daily problem. The financial stress that has the middle class worried over their 401(k)’s, life and medical insurance, emergency funds, checking and saving accounts, has about as much of a chance of influencing the ghetto child culturally as a prostitute walking back and forth on the streets in a ghetto neighborhood has of influencing a child in Beverly Hills.

Drug dealers, drug users, pimps, prostitutes, gang bangers, and alcoholics, results from two conditions of a culturally impoverished educational attitude. Firstly, poverty, one-parent households with one working parent or adult in the home making minimum wage, and secondly nurturing, the lack of a guiding influence from a loving and well intentioned adult during a fundamental time in these peoples’ childhoods.

“Junkies, alcoholics, and mean kids walking along Vermont looking to throw a punch.”
Mike Rose, Lives on the Boundary

Rose had both of his parents at home to guide him, but what about the child that comes home to an empty house, or a house full of little brothers and sisters to care for, and nothing in the house to eat but some crackers and mustard. His or her mother is at work, and there is no one to call. The child tries to study but cannot keep up in school. The ghetto child sees the dealers wearing new cloths, sees that they always have money and never see them in school, and he or she begins to think, maybe there is an easier way . . . than school. With no adult there to guide this child, the mental state of a culturally impoverished educational attitude begins to form.

The majority of children living where the junkies, drug pushers, alcoholics and gangs live, which are the impoverished ghettos of America, are Black and Mexican children. The reason their parents are living there is because on lack of income. Most of these parents have little education, and are only able to get minimum wage jobs, so for those single parents wanting to have a better life without turning to the ways of the streets, they work two jobs leaving the child on their own or under the supervision of an older sibling. The nurturing, which all children need, is not present in the home. The lack of nurturing in the home does not stop the need for nurturing by the child. The fulfillment of the nurturing needed in the ghetto child’s life many times comes through gang involvement or through the drug dealers.

The environment that both of these subcultures thrive in fosters an attitude towards education of being something for punks and nerds. Gangs give the child a support system and feelings that someone has their back. The child believes that the gang will supply his or her needs; the child feels they do not need an education the gang will be there for them. The pushers put money in the child’s hand and make the child feel that he or she does not need an education, after all the parent does not make the money the child is making selling drugs.

Poverty and lack of nurturing, causes a culturally perpetuated, financial ineptitude, which leads to an impoverished educational attitude in ghetto children that continues from generation to generation. The problem with a child with an impoverished educational attitude does not end in the ghetto; moreover, it flows in to all communities in the form of violence, and drugs. An impoverished educational attitude does not mean the child is not getting educated. The ghetto child learns how to sell drugs to the middle class kids, he or she learns how to break in to middle and upper class home’s, and kidnap middle and upper class girls and turn them into prostitutes. The problem of the child with an impoverished educational attitude affects the lives of others living a world away from the gangster life of the ghetto child . . . in their minds.

“Many people think human trafficking only happens in other countries. However, this modern-day form of slavery is increasingly an American problem.”
Mark Martin, CBN News Reporter

The Impoverishment of the ghetto fuels the fire of inspiration for a better life in the ghetto child’s mind. Literal hunger and the lack of nurturing fan the flames of that fire, the ghetto child’s failure in school tosses the final log of hope of finishing school, getting a job, and having a better life into the fire for consumption along with all inspiration of accomplishment through education.

“It is an unfortunate fact of our psychic lives that the images that surround us as we grow up-no matter how we may scorn them later-give shape to our deepest needs and longings”

It is the parents in the impoverished Black and Mexican communities, which collapse to the effects of economic changes taking place in America, and must find new ways to support their families by reposition themselves in their jobs, or by repositioning the little money they have. The ghetto child feels the effect of economic change, less food in the home or no parent in the home when needed, creating an opportunity for the struggling ghetto child to develop reasons to look to the subculture in their communities rather than school.

“In 2010, 5.1% of white students dropped out of high school compared to 8% of Black students, 15.1% of Hispanic students, 4.2% of Asian American students and 12.4% of American Indian/Alaska native students.”
Carla Amurao, Fact Sheet: Is the Dropout Problem Real?

Hi I'm Allen Stewart,

I believe there is a growing problem in America. Blacks and Mexicans families need to find a way to keep more children in school in our poor communities.

There is stress in America due to the current economic conditions, but for the children growing up in impoverished America, life goes on as usual. Nothing has changed for the kid in the ghetto. The ghetto child grows up in a household where money is scarce all the time, the ghetto child’s life has been unaffected by the economic changes taking place in America. Households with one working parent, a deficient provision for support with childcare, teens left on his or her own in many homes, and there is no adult for the ghetto child to turn to for help with homework. A child struggling in their classes many times may feel hopeless with nowhere to turn. Yet the stress stricken existence, the hunger filled days of survival, the lonely times with no one to turn to for help, keeps life in its relative normal state for the ghetto child where the lack of money is a daily problem. The financial stress that has the middle class worried over their 401(k)’s, life and medical insurance, emergency funds, checking and saving accounts, has about as much of a chance of influencing the ghetto child culturally as a prostitute walking back and forth on the streets in a ghetto neighborhood has of influencing a child in Beverly Hills.

Drug dealers, drug users, pimps, prostitutes, gang bangers, and alcoholics, results from two conditions of a culturally impoverished educational attitude. Firstly, poverty, one-parent households with one working parent or adult in the home making minimum wage, and secondly nurturing, the lack of a guiding influence from a loving and well intentioned adult during a fundamental time in these peoples’ childhoods.

“Junkies, alcoholics, and mean kids walking along Vermont looking to throw a punch.”

Rose had both of his parents at home to guide him, but what about the child that comes home to an empty house, or a house full of little brothers and sisters to care for, and nothing in the house to eat but some crackers and mustard. His or her mother is at work, and there is no one to call. The child tries to study but cannot keep up in school. The ghetto child sees the dealers wearing new cloths, sees that they always have money and never see them in school, and he or she begins to think, maybe there is an easier way . . . than school. With no adult there to guide this child, the mental state of a culturally impoverished educational attitude begins to form.

The majority of children living where the junkies, drug pushers, alcoholics and gangs live, which are the impoverished ghettos of America, are Black and Mexican children. The reason their parents are living there is because on lack of income. Most of these parents have little education, and are only able to get minimum wage jobs, so for those single parents wanting to have a better life without turning to the ways of the streets, they work two jobs leaving the child on their own or under the supervision of an older sibling. The nurturing, which all children need, is not present in the home. The lack of nurturing in the home does not stop the need for nurturing by the child. The fulfillment of the nurturing needed in the ghetto child’s life many times comes through gang involvement or through the drug dealers.

The environment that both of these subcultures thrive in fosters an attitude towards education of being something for punks and nerds. Gangs give the child a support system and feelings that someone has their back. The child believes that the gang will supply his or her needs; the child feels they do not need an education the gang will be there for them. The pushers put money in the child’s hand and make the child feel that he or she does not need an education, after all the parent does not make the money the child is making selling drugs.

Poverty and lack of nurturing, causes a culturally perpetuated, financial ineptitude, which leads to an impoverished educational attitude in ghetto children that continues from generation to generation. The problem with a child with an impoverished educational attitude does not end in the ghetto; moreover, it flows in to all communities in the form of violence, and drugs. An impoverished educational attitude does not mean the child is not getting educated. The ghetto child learns how to sell drugs to the middle class kids, he or she learns how to break in to middle and upper class home’s, and kidnap middle and upper class girls and turn them into prostitutes. The problem of the child with an impoverished educational attitude affects the lives of others living a world away from the gangster life of the ghetto child . . . in their minds.

“Many people think human trafficking only happens in other countries. However, this modern-day form of slavery is increasingly an American problem.”
Mark Martin, CBN News Reporter

The Impoverishment of the ghetto fuels the fire of inspiration for a better life in the ghetto child’s mind. Literal hunger and the lack of nurturing fan the flames of that fire, the ghetto child’s failure in school tosses the final log of hope of finishing school, getting a job, and having a better life into the fire for consumption along with all inspiration of accomplishment through education.

“It is an unfortunate fact of our psychic lives that the images that surround us as we grow up-no matter how we may scorn them later-give shape to our deepest needs and longings”

It is the parents in the impoverished Black and Mexican communities, which collapse to the effects of economic changes taking place in America, and must find new ways to support their families by reposition themselves in their jobs, or by repositioning the little money they have. The ghetto child feels the effect of economic change, less food in the home or no parent in the home when needed, creating an opportunity for the struggling ghetto child to develop reasons to look to the subculture in their communities rather than school.

“In 2010, 5.1% of white students dropped out of high school compared to 8% of Black students, 15.1% of Hispanic students, 4.2% of Asian American students and 12.4% of American Indian/Alaska native students.”
Carla Amurao, Fact Sheet: Is the Dropout Problem Real?

And what political office are you running for Allen Stewart?

Agstew, I agree that we should be very concerned that poor children aren't getting the education they're entitled to. How do you suggest we fix this problem?

Im as concerned as the parent(s)of them. For the ones who do care and are looking for options stop slamming the door on solutions to satisfy teacher unions. For the rest, lets find motivation to get them to actually be parent(s).

Im as concerned as the parent(s)of them. For the ones who do care and are looking for options stop slamming the door on solutions to satisfy teacher unions. For the rest, lets find motivation to get them to actually be parent(s).

What doors are being slammed and how does that satisfy teacher's unions?

Blaming this on teacher unions is lazy thinking. You think there were no bad schools and bad teachers before unions? Do you think teachers in ghettos aren't unionized? I think teachers get a bum rap for doing a very difficult job.

What doors are being slammed and how does that satisfy teacher's unions?
all of them, charter schools and vouchers for starters. But I suspect you already knew that. So nice of DC to kill their very successful programs because of the union label.

Blaming this on teacher unions is lazy thinking. You think there were no bad schools and bad teachers before unions? Do you think teachers in ghettos aren't unionized? I think teachers get a bum rap for doing a very difficult job.
You have fallen for a lazy retort. Of course there have always been bad teachers and there always will be. By bad schols I gather you mean bad admjnistration as opposed to a larger percentage of bad teachers. But youmiss the point here. Unions are myoptic about their solution... it may only be MORE teachers getting MORE money. Even after a paring down of teachers from BOs endless recession there are more teachers than there were 20 30 years ago. And mo money has produced NOTHING. The ONLY solution (and the president himself has acknowledged this) is parenting. BO did acknowledge this but refuses to make policy dir3cted that way favoring the bought and paid for same old same old teachers union mantra. Let me ask you, do you think that there are no bad teachers or administrators in those suberban schools that are so successful ? Well around where I live there certainly ARE but it makes no difference because its not allowed to. You know what they say about doing the same thing overand over expecting a different outcome right ? Dontcha think its time to go outside the box ?

Fixing the problem is not easy if possible at all

Agstew, I agree that we should be very concerned that poor children aren't getting the education they're entitled to. How do you suggest we fix this problem?

The main fix to this problem starts with increasing income in the impoverished communities. Education of the parents to improve their chance of getting higher paying jobs. Increasing income opens doors to opportunities, parents may be able to stay home and not need a second job, parents can use the money to find help for a struggling child. However this is only a way to slow down the development of new dropouts, moreover, we need to clean up the the problems (gangs, drug pushers, and trafficking), which are offering the dropouts income opportunities. How we do that I have no idea.

I believe there are many parents that wish they had the money to be a better parent. What I mean is, so they could be with their child more, but they are working two jobs just to make it from month-to-month.

You have fallen for a lazy retort. Of course there have always been bad teachers and there always will be. By bad schols I gather you mean bad admjnistration as opposed to a larger percentage of bad teachers. But youmiss the point here. Unions are myoptic about their solution... it may only be MORE teachers getting MORE money. Even after a paring down of teachers from BOs endless recession there are more teachers than there were 20 30 years ago. And mo money has produced NOTHING. The ONLY solution (and the president himself has acknowledged this) is parenting. BO did acknowledge this but refuses to make policy directed that way favoring the bought and paid for same old same old teachers union mantra. Let me ask you, do you think that there are no bad teachers or administrators in those suberban schools that are so successful ? Well around where I live there certainly ARE but it makes no difference because its not allowed to. You know what they say about doing the same thing overand over expecting a different outcome right ? Dontcha think its time to go outside the box ?

The box I'm in doesn't look like this:

unionsunionsunions
unionsunionsunions
obamaobamaobama
obamaobamaobama

My experience has been that conservatives want the federal govt. out of education to the point of eliminating the Dept. of Education, yet you seem to want the opposite, more federal control. My position is the same as agstew's in post #9, that there are numerous issues that contribute to education problems in ghettos and unions are just one factor.

all of them, charter schools and vouchers for starters. But I suspect you already knew that. So nice of DC to kill their very successful programs because of the union label.

I don;t thnk you've any idea what you're talking about. "All of them"? Charter schools and vouchers? The American Federation of Teachers is for charther schools, so your union label thing is all wet.

What are you trying to say about this?

You have fallen for a lazy retort. Of course there have always been bad teachers and there always will be. By bad schols I gather you mean bad admjnistration as opposed to a larger percentage of bad teachers. But youmiss the point here. Unions are myoptic about their solution... it may only be MORE teachers getting MORE money. Even after a paring down of teachers from BOs endless recession there are more teachers than there were 20 30 years ago. And mo money has produced NOTHING. The ONLY solution (and the president himself has acknowledged this) is parenting. BO did acknowledge this but refuses to make policy dir3cted that way favoring the bought and paid for same old same old teachers union mantra. Let me ask you, do you think that there are no bad teachers or administrators in those suberban schools that are so successful ? Well around where I live there certainly ARE but it makes no difference because its not allowed to. You know what they say about doing the same thing overand over expecting a different outcome right ? Dontcha think its time to go outside the box ?

Hmmm; first, there are many mor kids than there were twenty or thirty years ago, ergo more teachers are needed. Teacher's unions certainly are not myopic when it comes to solutions either. The problem is the don't set policy or requirememts. On bad parenting, you are absolutely right. That is the number one problem in public education today. Teachers however are not allowed to touch bad kids or tell them that they have the heads up thier asses they way teachers can in private schools. Public school parents have little darlings that do no wrong and it is up to the teacher to see that the kid does his or her homework, that way home life is more peaceful.

As for bad teachers, they are fired regulalry as they do not have tenure: the turnover rate can be very high in some districts, so your unions protect bad teachers fallacy won't wash. My study on charter schools BTW has revealed that they have a very high turnover rate which is not good for kids as each teacher has their own style: education must be consistent.

As for money, in my view every American school district should be equally funded and equipped. That's the start of proritizing our educational system. Teachers should have commitees that have an equal hand in policy and curriculum as well as parent teacher commitees to answer the bad parenting better communication themes: what a teacher gives out as an assignment and what a kid tells his parents the assignemtn is are very often two completely different things. The teachers unions are not in business for money, they are in business because teaching is their skill and they know it best: like Teamsters and Machinists etc. When the ones who kow the work and perform it everyday of their lives are cut out of the process the system or industry suffers for it.

Take education for instance.

The main fix to this problem starts with increasing income in the impoverished communities. Education of the parents to improve their chance of getting higher paying jobs. Increasing income opens doors to opportunities, parents may be able to stay home and not need a second job, parents can use the money to find help for a struggling child. However this is only a way to slow down the development of new dropouts, moreover, we need to clean up the the problems (gangs, drug pushers, and trafficking), which are offering the dropouts income opportunities. How we do that I have no idea.
Want to kill organized crime ? Give the drugs away free. Take away the money and they cant survive. Then there is the added benefit of removing a career option that has decimated the minority communities. Then education becomes an easier sell which leads to all the rest you seek. Forget the symptoms and cure the disease.

Celtic, unions who fight for fair wages are not the problem. I suggest you talk to some teachers. It is teaching to the test that is the problem. Teachers are starting to fight back against this system that dumbs down our kids, but because of the propaganda pointed at teachers to villainize them, Washington isn't listening.

There are many reasons Washington isn't listening, but mostly because they want public education to fail.

Back