In defense of partisanship

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Can anyone tell me any reason I shouldn't vote for the party instead of the person?

The Democratic party represents one side of the political spectrum. The Republican party the other. Voting for the Republicans undermines the left in America. It's nonsensical for even a left-winger to vote for a likeable person if he represents a right wing party that will institute a right-wing agenda. The only exception is, maybe, for executive positions, because they are able to exercise much more independence from their party.

But otherwise, it's just silly to vote for the person over the party. And it's even sillier that in America there is a serious strain of thought that there's nothing more hideous a person can do than to vote for a party. In most nations if you told people that you always tried to vote for the person over the party you'd have the entire room laughing at you, because it's such a bizarre way of thinking. What is wrong and stupid is voting for a party that represents issues you disagree with because you like a guys smile.

Can anyone tell me any reason I shouldn't vote for the party instead of the person?

The Democratic party represents one side of the political spectrum. The Republican party the other. Voting for the Republicans undermines the left in America. It's nonsensical for even a left-winger to vote for a likeable person if he represents a right wing party that will institute a right-wing agenda. The only exception is, maybe, for executive positions, because they are able to exercise much more independence from their party.

But otherwise, it's just silly to vote for the person over the party. And it's even sillier that in America there is a serious strain of thought that there's nothing more hideous a person can do than to vote for a party. In most nations if you told people that you always tried to vote for the person over the party you'd have the entire room laughing at you, because it's such a bizarre way of thinking. What is wrong and stupid is voting for a party that represents issues you disagree with because you like a guys smile.

If we had a parlimentary system, what you say above would be less retarded. But unfortunately in this country, the majority are a fat, happy, complacent mongoloids who will vote for someone because he's taller, or if they like how his ass looks in assless chaps.

I don't think having a presidential system makes partisanship any less relevant, except, of course, at the executive level. The house of representatives acts a lot like a parliament that just can't execute it's own will and has to rely on the pres. The senate just acts like a huge legislation blocking machine, so whoever you vote for isn't going to matter there.

It probably makes partisanship more relevant, given the relative permanence of a presidential election vs a prime minister whom can be voted out at practically any time by the legislative branch.

How can I vote for either Party when neither represent my ideology?

Hmmm..... let me look at my list...... hold on......... ah yes, this election I'm voting for the tallest candidate and next election for the fatest. I couldn't remember exactly the order I had them in when I pulled them out of a hat. :cof1:

It probably makes partisanship more relevant, given the relative permanence of a presidential election vs a prime minister whom can be voted out at practically any time by the legislative branch.

Well you know that if you vote for a Democrat or a Republican they are going to vote for their party at least 80% of the time. Even Gene Taylor votes with his party 85% of the time. And the speaker of the house has a massive amount of power. I think elections would probably be improved if we'd get beyond the "vote for the person not the party" mentality.

Well you know that if you vote for a Democrat or a Republican they are going to vote for their party at least 80% of the time. Even Gene Taylor votes with his party 85% of the time. And the speaker of the house has a massive amount of power. I think elections would probably be improved if we'd get beyond the "vote for the person not the party" mentality.

Even using those percentages is problematic. Most of those votes are procedural mechanisms.

There is really no short cut for researching the positions of individual politicians. It matters in America, and it always will until our system is reformed to allow some modicum of party discipline.

I'm not casting judgement on any of this, just analyzing.

Vote for the closest one or vote for a third party. If you are such a wackjob that no party in America is remotely close to your views shoot yourself.

Thank you Einstein! :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I do every election. I vote for the Peace and Justice Party.... in other words, me! I make sure to always carry pens with me when voting. :cool:

Thank you Einstein! :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I do every election. I vote for the Peace and Justice Party.... in other words, me! I make sure to always carry pens with me when voting. :cool:

LOL.

Yeah, you sure are making a difference. A perennial candidate with one vote for every office in every election.

Back