In the Wake of October 7: Reflections on the American Jewish Community

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
“Everything has changed since October 7” no longer merely represents a slogan. American Jews are experiencing a fundamental repositioning of not only how they see themselves but also how others perceive them.

While this conflict is being waged on the ground in Gaza, it is having a profound and fundamental impact on Jews in the United States. No doubt, the impact of this crisis on Jewish Americans has changed over the months since the 7th of October, creating various ripple effects on this community. A fundamental recalibration of the American Jewish experience is underway.

While American Jews were already concerned about the rise of antisemitism on the political right, as reflected by the 2017 gathering in Charlottesville on August 27, 2017, we are confronting anti-Zionist assaults on Israel and antisemitic attacks on Jewish individuals and institutions driven from the progressive left.

Suddenly, without allies, Jews in this country have been taken aback by the silence of support for us or Israel, in some cases by longstanding friends, and in certain settings, the outright hatred that these former allies are projecting on Israel, Zionism, and American Jewry.

“Everything has changed since October 7” no longer merely represents a slogan. American Jews are experiencing a fundamental repositioning of not only how they see themselves but also how others perceive them.

While this conflict is being waged on the ground in Gaza, it is having a profound and fundamental impact on Jews in the United States. No doubt, the impact of this crisis on Jewish Americans has changed over the months since the 7th of October, creating various ripple effects on this community. A fundamental recalibration of the American Jewish experience is underway.

While American Jews were already concerned about the rise of antisemitism on the political right, as reflected by the 2017 gathering in Charlottesville on August 27, 2017, we are confronting anti-Zionist assaults on Israel and antisemitic attacks on Jewish individuals and institutions driven from the progressive left.

Suddenly, without allies, Jews in this country have been taken aback by the silence of support for us or Israel, in some cases by longstanding friends, and in certain settings, the outright hatred that these former allies are projecting on Israel, Zionism, and American Jewry.

This whole situation (Israel and Palestine) is such a mess at all levels and no one on either side who is in power seems to be without culpability. I think the reason the Left is starting to sound more antisemitic is due to "topic creep". I want to believe it started off as the Left's critique of the GOVERNMENT of Israel over-responding to a weaker opponent and NOT this bizarre mixture of nascent antisemitism mixed with some loony pro-Hamas position. I still think the majority of people on the Left are in the rational center. Critiquing the Israeli GOVERNMENT (not Jews qua Jews) and standing in support of innocent Gazans. It seems that it is the more unhinged extreme fringes who shout the LOUDEST that are getting all the press.

In reality Oct 7 represented a small group of violent monsters who hide behind innocent civilians and poke a bear. The bear, on the other hand, responded without control and hurt a lot of innocent people in their righteous anger.

I feel for Israel and I feel for the Gazans (the majority of whom are not Hamas).

Israel has every right to defend itself. But often the more powerful combatant can "pull their punches" especially if innocent people are being used as shields. And I think that's what the "centrists" are more interested in seeing happen.

Realpolitick also figures in here. Hamas has effectively embedded itself within the innocent bystanders in order to ensure that Israel kills innocent people in their efforts to ferret out the malevolent ones. There's no easy way to do that as far as I can tell.

At some point everyone in the Israel-Palestine will have to WANT peace themselves. This eternal game of back and forth hatred is exhausting and very easy to fall prey to. And the extended game where the rest of the world suddenly has to "pick a side" is frustrating as hell.

At some point the people of the region will have to WANT to stop the hate. Until that time it doesn't matter which country supports Israel or which country recognizes Palestine.

Hamas started this rodeo!
Right wingers always return to their antisemitic roots!

This far left Dago isn't giving you any shit, Guno.
I stand faithfully with my Hebe brothers and sisters.

Happy Belated Birthday, by the way.
I guess that you're an antique as well.
Fun, isn't it?

Hamas started this rodeo!
Right wingers always return to their antisemitic roots!
Agreed and I cannot fault Israel for finishing it.
Agreed too, but in the meantime the focus should be upon defending both Israel and Ukraine then worry about the MAGAts later.

I am on Team Israel.

Back