Interestihng case in Wyoming

evince

Truthmatters
http://disinter.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/wyoming-sheriffs-put-feds-in-their-place/

The court decision was the result of a suit against both the BATF and the IRS by Mattis and other members of the Wyoming Sheriff’s Association. The suit in the Wyoming federal court district sought restoration of the protections enshrined in the United States Constitution and the Wyoming Constitution.

Guess what? The District Court ruled in favor of the sheriffs. In fact, they stated, Wyoming is a sovereign state and the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers exceeding that of any other state or federal official.” Go back and re-read this quote.

The court confirms and asserts that “the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official.” And you thought the 10th Amendment was dead and buried — not in Wyoming, not yet.

Bighorn County Sheriff Dave Mattis comments:

“If a sheriff doesn’t want the Feds in his county he has the constitutional right and power to keep them out, or ask them to leave, or retain them in custody.”

“I am reacting in response to the actions of federal employees who have attempted to deprive citizens of my county of their privacy, their liberty, and their property without regard to constitutional safeguards. I hope that more sheriffs all across America will join us in protecting their citizens from the illegal activities of the IRS, EPA, BATF, FBI, or any other federal agency that is operating outside the confines of constitutional law. Employees of the IRS and the EPA are no longer welcome in Bighorn County unless they intend to operate in conformance to constitutional law.”

yeah , very interesting. Smells like Judicial activism to me.

Wyoming is a bit north of the Mason Dixon line too.....

http://disinter.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/wyoming-sheriffs-put-feds-in-their-place/

The court decision was the result of a suit against both the BATF and the IRS by Mattis and other members of the Wyoming Sheriff’s Association. The suit in the Wyoming federal court district sought restoration of the protections enshrined in the United States Constitution and the Wyoming Constitution.

Guess what? The District Court ruled in favor of the sheriffs. In fact, they stated, Wyoming is a sovereign state and the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers exceeding that of any other state or federal official.” Go back and re-read this quote.

The court confirms and asserts that “the duly elected sheriff of a county is the highest law enforcement official within a county and has law enforcement powers EXCEEDING that of any other state OR federal official.” And you thought the 10th Amendment was dead and buried — not in Wyoming, not yet.

“If a sheriff doesn’t want the Feds in his county he has the constitutional right and power to keep them out, or ask them to leave, or retain them in custody.”

“I am reacting in response to the actions of federal employees who have attempted to deprive citizens of my county of their privacy, their liberty, and their property without regard to constitutional safeguards. I hope that more sheriffs all across America will join us in protecting their citizens from the illegal activities of the IRS, EPA, BATF, FBI, or any other federal agency that is operating outside the confines of constitutional law. Employees of the IRS and the EPA are no longer welcome in Bighorn County unless they intend to operate in conformance to constitutional law.”

Thanks Desh.... that was indeed a very interesting article.

It will be interesting to see where the decision goes from here.

very interesting. As the article mentioned.... odd that I haven't seen this on the MSM. We get every barbie doll that is kidnapped non-stop twenty four seven.... but a case like this.... nada....

Wish they were a little more clear on what the issues in the case were. My Lexis Nexis account does not include Wyoming so the search would be costly. I will see what I can dredge up

This from http://www.yauponcreek.org/Wyoming.html

The Wyoming sheriffs are demanding access to all BATF files to verify that the agency is not violating provisions of Wyoming law that prohibit the registration of firearms or the keeping of a registry of firearm owners. The sheriffs are also demanding that federal agencies immediately cease the seizure of private property and the impoundment of private bank accounts without regard to due process in state courts.

This from http://www.yauponcreek.org/Wyoming.html

The Wyoming sheriffs are demanding access to all BATF files to verify that the agency is not violating provisions of Wyoming law that prohibit the registration of firearms or the keeping of a registry of firearm owners. The sheriffs are also demanding that federal agencies immediately cease the seizure of private property and the impoundment of private bank accounts without regard to due process in state courts.

lol... hope you didn't look too long for that.... as it was all in Desh's original article.

Friggin lawyers always trying to extend those billable hours with "research" that has already been done....

;)

having read a little more on the posts, it looks like wyoming (with the help of federal courts) is trying to limit the police power of the feds.....like they were given any to begin with.

The article is more than a year old. If this case was going to be appealed to either a Circuit Court or to the Supreme Court, wouldn't there be some record of that by now? How/where to find it?

hi d

well, it will be interesting how the supremes rule on this

maybe the 10th amendment is not dead but just required exercise

i wonder if the fda will be included in this

the supremes have already ruled that the income tax is constitutional

interesting post

LMAO..............

This will not hold up in scotus...trust me I have worked both local,county and federal as a law enforcement officer...Federal 'Peace Officers' as defined in all 50 states have jurisdiction in all matters in 'all states'...The law of the land states...local is overridden by county,county is overridden by state...and state is overridden by federal...thats the way it is...like it or not!
As a matter of fact not to long ago in Nevada a local sheriff tried to override federal jurisdiction over BLM...he was found to have no jurisdiction over federal laws! albeit the land in question was in his county of jurisdiction...end of story ladies and gentlemen!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back