Iran, Venezuela, and Cuba become hot issues .. finally

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Can't wait for the debates between Obama and McCain on foreign policy, particularly on Iran, Venezuela, and Cuba .. all failed policies from presidents on both sides of the aisle.

We could finally see some semblance of intelligence coming to our foreign policy which does not require foreign governments to kiss our ass before we speak to them.

Can't wait for the debates between Obama and McCain on foreign policy, particularly on Iran, Venezuela, and Cuba .. all failed policies from presidents on both sides of the aisle.

We could finally see some semblance of intelligence coming to our foreign policy which does not require foreign governments to kiss our ass before we speak to them.

You know, honestly I'd be surprised if our great media pundits like Tim Russert and Tweety ask anything substantive about Latin America.

American presidential debates appear to revolve around superfluous sh*t like how you would feel about the death penalty if your wife were murdered, or how many sighs a Democratic candidate can make.

It's be a great topic though. Far more worthy than Reverend Wright, Farakhan, or William Ayers. Latin America appears to be going through a paradigm shift. Away from the largely failed Milton Freidman-esque, and WTO whacky theories of unfettered privatization and wholesale sell offs of a nation's resources and infrastructure; wrapped up and presented as sweet heart deals for some german, spanish, or american multinational.

I don't think americans at large have the foggiest idea of our history in latin america, and how that has contributed (in part) to decades of resource exploitation by multinationals, and their body guards and enforcers: US Military might and intervention. Even though I have traveled in S. America, I have only a dim understanding of the depth and scope of the way people feel about the US. They are complex feelings. And hard to understand, not having walked in their shoes, in their history. A palpable mix of sadness, bitterness, melancholy, and also sometimes an admiration towards the american culture and people (if not the government)

But, it would be some great debate questions to have. This country is far too provincial, and I really wish we'd explore these questions. Iraq war supporters certainly could have used some history lessons in 2003.

Last edited:
You know, honestly I'd be surprised if our great media pundits like Tim Russert and Tweety ask anything substantive about Latin America.

American presidential debates appear to revolve around superfluous sh*t like how you would feel about the death penalty if your wife were murdered, or how many sighs a Democratic candidate can make.

It's be a great topic though. Far more worthy than Reverend Wright, Farakhan, or William Ayers. Latin America appears to be going through a paradigm shift. Away from the largely failed Milton Freidman-esque, and WTO whacky theories of unfettered privatization and wholesale sell offs of a nation's resources and infrastructure; wrapped up and presented as sweet heart deals for some german, spanish, or american multinational.

I don't think americans at large have the foggiest idea of our history in latin america, and how that has contributed (in part) to decades of resource exploitation by multinationals, and their body guards and enforcers: US Military might and intervention. Even though I have traveled in S. America, I have only a dim understanding of the depth and scope of the way people feel about the US. They are complex feelings. And hard to understand, not having walked in their shoes, in their history. A palpable mix of sadness, bitterness, melancholy, and also sometimes an admiration towards the american culture and people (if not the government)

But, it would be some great debate questions to have. This country is far too provincial, and I really wish we'd explore these questions. Iraq war supporters certainly could have used some history lessons in 2003.

Excellent thoughts.

The democrats would be wise to push back hard on this. The Bush Administration and McCain represent all that is failed about our foreign policy.

However, do not expect any real history lessons about what we have done, through the CIA and our own terrorists, over many years to Latin America, Cuba, Venezuela, or another part of the world. Don't expect a smidgen of truth about our overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iran, the terrorists we've trained on our own soil and unleashed on Latin America like a plague, our attempts to murder Castro, our connections to Noreiga and how we locked him up to prevent him from talking about it, or why we lynched Saddam without charging him with his worst crimes so US complicity in those crimes is not revealed.

Don't expect any of that because democrats have been as complicit in these crimes as republicans.

Americans can't handle truth.

We are an invented people.

Excellent thoughts.

The democrats would be wise to push back hard on this. The Bush Administration and McCain represent all that is failed about our foreign policy.

However, do not expect any real history lessons about what we have done, through the CIA and our own terrorists, over many years to Latin America, Cuba, Venezuela, or another part of the world. Don't expect a smidgen of truth about our overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iran, the terrorists we've trained on our own soil and unleashed on Latin America like a plague, our attempts to murder Castro, our connections to Noreiga and how we locked him up to prevent him from talking about it, or why we lynched Saddam without charging him with his worst crimes so US complicity in those crimes is not revealed.

Don't expect any of that because democrats have been as complicit in these crimes as republicans.

Americans can't handle truth.

We are an invented people.

Oh, no doubt that administrations of all stripes have blood on their hands. With the possible exception of Jimmy Carter, most american presidents have treated Latin America as our own personal fiefdom. I don't ever expect an adult conversation, let alone an accurate accounting of history or a debate about our proper role with respect to latin american sovereignty in a presidential debate.

Obama will be expected to strike at least a nominally belligerent pose towards Hugo Chavez, or the Ecuadorean or Bolivian presidents - lest he risk being called unamerican, weak, or worse.

It really boils down to money. Resource exploitation is the name of the game, and we're going to see some fireworks if Bolivia or Ecuador kick out the multinational conglomerates that hold sway over their natural resources.

Back