Is gravity force or acceleration?

AProudLefty

Black Kitty Ain't Happy
Newtonian mechanics treats gravity as a force because it accelerates objects towards a center of mass. In general relativity, Einstein’s equivalence principle states that gravity is indistinguishable from acceleration. This helped in establishing the notion that gravity is merely the curving of spacetime

https://www.quora.com/Is-gravity-force-or-acceleration

That is why gravitational force can not be reconciled with the other three fundamental forces. It is not a real force. It's just an acceleration that is affected by some space-time curvature and those other forces.

Tensors are the winners.

IuVejVS.jpg

1a70837fe6cb363a0349ab79c15d427b.gif

Newtonian mechanics treats gravity as a force because it accelerates objects towards a center of mass. In general relativity, Einstein’s equivalence principle states that gravity is indistinguishable from acceleration. This helped in establishing the notion that gravity is merely the curving of spacetime

https://www.quora.com/Is-gravity-force-or-acceleration

That is why gravitational force can not be reconciled with the other three fundamental forces. It is not a real force. It's just an acceleration that is affected by some space-time curvature and those other forces.

Curvature of spacetime is the relativistic interpretation

What I wonder is that if gravitons are real, if they represent a force mediator of gravity, in the way that photons mediate the electromagnetic force, and bosons mediate the strong and weak nuclear forces.

Moral of the story: if quantum gravity is verified, does it represent a field mediated by force-carrying particles in the way that we know the other three forces are? Then gravity would not simply be a geometry of spacetime, but a force unified with the other forces?

What I wonder is that if gravitons are real, if they represent a force mediator of gravity, in the way that photons mediate the electromagnetic force, and bosons mediate the strong and weak nuclear forces.

Moral of the story: if quantum gravity is verified, does it represent a field mediated by force-carrying particles in the way that we know the other three forces are? Then gravity would not simply be a geometry of spacetime, but a force unified with the other forces?

The elevator thought experiment is what destroys the gravity as being a real force. The three fundamental forces have been proven to exist.

Is it falling or being pulled

I’m limited in these disciplines

But they are fascinating

Exactly. Falling or being pulled. It demonstrates that gravity is not a real force.

That is why Einstein thought of the elevator as an example to prove his point. Gravity can never ever be reconciled with the other forces unless they accept it.

The elevator thought experiment is what destroys the gravity as being a real force. The three fundamental forces have been proven to exist.

That is what I am trying to understand about the hypothesis of quantum gravity.

If gravity is just a geometry of spacetime, why would it need a force mediator (gravitons), like the other three forces have?

That is what I am trying to understand about the hypothesis of quantum gravity.

If gravity is just a geometry of spacetime, why would it need a force mediator (gravitons), like the other three forces have?

Well in my opinion gravity doesn't exist as a real force as Einstein has demonstrated.

Ask Sheldon for more details.

r1DpJV8.gif

Just in my untrained Brain in this area I can’t grok it not as a force

It the vacuum of space

Why would it be falling towards something

There just seems it has to be a force

It the vacuum of space

Part of it is space-time continuum.

Watch the videos I posed.

Yeah I trust Einstein

I think he understood these things better than I

But it’s hard to understand how that works

Einstein understood that gravity isn't a real force.

If he was wrong then that's something else.

4 forces can be unified.

Hey that did help

Thanks

It the vacuum of space

The simplest way for me to think about it is that space is not flat. We have to train our minds to think beyond the flat, chalkboard Euclidean geometry we learned in high school.

Space is curved in the presence of massive objects, like planets and stars. Smaller objects will not move in straight lines in the vicinity of massive objects. In the absence of an inertial force, smaller objects will tend accelate along curved lines in space, converging on the center of gravity of the massive object.

Back