Is our politics racist?

tsuke

I was having a discussion earlier with someone and we were talking about trumps vp. A lot of people have said rubio. As you can see rubio lost his home state and the only real strength he has is he is a check mark on the hispanic box. He has very few other real accomplishments. Basically someone being hispanic is the only qualification he has. Before you say its only a republican thing I could have said the same about obama before (i stress before) he became president.

Does the color of the candidates skin play too much of a role in the nomination process?

I was having a discussion earlier with someone and we were talking about trumps vp. A lot of people have said rubio. As you can see rubio lost his home state and the only real strength he has is he is a check mark on the hispanic box. He has very few other real accomplishments. Basically someone being hispanic is the only qualification he has. Before you say its only a republican thing I could have said the same about obama before (i stress before) he became president.

Does the color of the candidates skin play too much of a role in the nomination process?

I don't think that color makes a huge difference when its all over with but I think that everybody likes the idea of having someone like them being the president or vice president. I'm sure hispanics would love to see another hispanic in the white house whether as president or vice president. Most white people can relate more to a white candidate same as a black person or an asian person. I think gender probably matters more to a guy than it does a girl though since all this country has had have been men as presidents and so I think it's harder for a guy to picture a woman president than the other way around but I think that goes back to whats comfortable for people and so in my opinion a white man is more comfortable with a white male president just like a hispanic woman would be more comfortable with a hispanic woman or man in the white house. So to answer your question I don't think skin color matters as much in the nomination process as long as their ideas for the country are relatable and make you feel comfortable.

Your thread title reminded me of the bushism "Rarely is the question asked... is our children learning?" :D

It distracted me from giving a serious answer but I'll try again later.

we are a nation of emotional 'thinkers'...Political Correctness substitutes for critical thought..

It's all bogus - little green men ( or women) from Mars are fine if they can govern effectively.

I don't think that color makes a huge difference when its all over with but I think that everybody likes the idea of having someone like them being the president or vice president. I'm sure hispanics would love to see another hispanic in the white house whether as president or vice president. Most white people can relate more to a white candidate same as a black person or an asian person. I think gender probably matters more to a guy than it does a girl though since all this country has had have been men as presidents and so I think it's harder for a guy to picture a woman president than the other way around but I think that goes back to whats comfortable for people and so in my opinion a white man is more comfortable with a white male president just like a hispanic woman would be more comfortable with a hispanic woman or man in the white house. So to answer your question I don't think skin color matters as much in the nomination process as long as their ideas for the country are relatable and make you feel comfortable.

You don't think it matters, but you composed the paragraph above?

You think "Hispanics" can't be white?

Is Canadian immigrant Rafael Cruz's skin the same color as Trump's, Norah Beth?

CNN thinks Hispanics can be white. They did with George Zimmerman.

Is our politics racist?

I think it is very difficult for Americans to realise just how deeply an obsession with 'race' (itself an entirely senseless term) is part of their normal way of interpreting experience. It is a result of slavery, to preserve which required hugely greater brainwashing that mere imperialism. For most of us, the insane hatred so many American right-wingers display for your current President is racism of Nazi proportions. It is not the fault of anyone now living, but to pretend it does not exist is silly.

Very little actually. The American people, by a large majority, are fair and egalitarian. If a person has the qualifications and can communicate their vision of governance and what direction they would lead it then I think the American people will give that person a fair hearing despite race, gender, ethnicity or religious affiliation. Is there a vocal minority that are overtly racist? Sure...but by and large the majority of American people are fair minded. By the time a person has risen through the nomination process I think it's fair to assert that their qualifications have been validated by both the nomination process and the American people.

Does that mean race is not a significant issue in our nation? No, of course it doesn't. Most good people have prejudices and they do enter into their thinking but by and large we are a fair people.

Is our politics racist?

I think it is very difficult for Americans to realise just how deeply an obsession with 'race' (itself an entirely senseless term) is part of their normal way of interpreting experience. It is a result of slavery, to preserve which required hugely greater brainwashing that mere imperialism. For most of us, the insane hatred so many American right-wingers display for your current President is racism of Nazi proportions. It is not the fault of anyone now living, but to pretend it does not exist is silly.
True but in reality they are a very vocal but small minority. Probably not even 10% of the electorate. Nor is the American "right wing" in anyway unique to just America. Just because those who scream the loudest are the ones often heard does not mean that they are representative in the larger sense and in a nation as decentralized as ours and as large as ours the competition in the market place for ideas is extremely fierce which often seems to give fringe beliefs a percieved significance and impact they do not in reality have.

Hispanics can look white yes but when I said white above I was talking about non-hispanic caucasians

True but in reality they are a very vocal but small minority. Probably not even 10% of the electorate. Nor is the American "right wing" in anyway unique to just America. Just because those who scream the loudest are the ones often heard does not mean that they are representative in the larger sense and in a nation as decentralized as ours and as large as ours the competition in the market place for ideas is extremely fierce which often seems to give fringe beliefs a percieved significance and impact they do not in reality have.

I think that since the Nazis bit the dust. almost all racism in Europe is a hang-over of imperialism - it is people from the colonies coming in who are hated, but it wears off, and West Indians here, for instance, are quite popular, and others imitate their speech-forms and so on. Intermarriage sees it off soon enough. It is only lately, with Muslims coming in in significant numbers, that people frustration and spite have found an equivalent of the Jews in the thirties. I don't think it goes very deep, however, at least in this country, though where Nazism was popular it has rather more appeal. The question is - as with Irish Roman Catholics in the Nineteenth Century - how difficult it is to intermarry and interbreed, so it tends, here, to be a religious rather than a 'racial' question.

Back