Dutch’s Tex-Mex Chili:

Ingredients

• 2 lb ground beef
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped, or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup tomato paste
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained, rinsed or 1 can each black beans and dark kidney beans
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 cups beef broth, usuallly from bullion cubes
  • 1teaspoon kosher (coarse) or sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup shredded Fiesta cheese
  • Chopped jalapeño or Anaheim chilis.
Top with more Fiesta cheese and sour cream.

Dutch’s Tex-Mex Chili:

Ingredients

• 2 lb ground beef
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped, or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup tomato paste
  • 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained, rinsed or 1 can each black beans and dark kidney beans
  • 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 4 cups beef broth, usuallly from bullion cubes
  • 1teaspoon kosher (coarse) or sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup shredded Fiesta cheese
  • Chopped jalapeño or Anaheim chilis.
Top with more Fiesta cheese and sour cream.
One CUP of tomato paste? No other liquids?

Oh, okay, I totally overlooked that. Is it a pretty spicy chili? I love red and black beans, might have to try it!
I like it spicy, so I left options.

FWIW, I consider recipes to be “guidelines” and my chilis rarely ever turn out the same since I like to experiment and often switch out ingredients depending upon what I have on hand. Once even added pineapple chunks. It wasn’t bad, a little sweeter than I’m used too, but good.

FWIW, I consider recipes to be “guidelines” and my chilis rarely ever turn out the same since I like to experiment and often switch out ingredients depending upon what I have on hand. Once even added pineapple chunks. It wasn’t bad, a little sweeter than I’m used too, but good.
That's what makes cooking so much fun -- using the recipe as a guideline and playing with your food! We're going to try your chili this week; I put poblanos on my grocery list. We only have few chili days left till summer.

When you go spicy a good additive is cinnamon. I also like using smoked salts in my chili.

That's what makes cooking so much fun -- using the recipe as a guideline and playing with your food! We're going to try your chili this week; I put poblanos on my grocery list. We only have few chili days left till summer.
I love poblanos. Usually cooked like stuffed bell peppers with spicy hamburger, sweet onions and fiesta cheese than baked for an hour.

Oh, okay, I totally overlooked that. Is it a pretty spicy chili? I love red and black beans, might have to try it!
No, that would not be spicy chili... Even if he tries to say it is... LOL I add habaneros and roast some tomatillos... You need to put the whole pepper in as well, do NOT seed the peppers... chop them and put them in, seeds and all. Roast them until the skin cracks and chop them up... Mmmmm....

I’ll try that. My wife loves cinnamon. I try to tone down the spice for her then add it to my bowl.
That's a Cincinnati thing... I don't think it adds enough to it and too much can ruin it. Beer, red or brown beer none of that pilsner stuff... add beer.

That's a Cincinnati thing... I don't think it adds enough to it and too much can ruin it. Beer, red or brown beer none of that pilsner stuff... add beer.
The cinnamon? Agreed on a thicker beer but usually I use Lone Star since that’s what I’m drinking. :clink:

Yeah, the cinnamon.
Isn’t that also where beans and cheese came from?

Real Texas chili is just jerked meat and dried red peppers since that’s what traveled best in saddle bags. “Modern” Texans use higher quality meats, spices and chili. I confess to making my Tex-Mex with beans, cheese, onions and hamburger but sometimes I use stew meat or sliced up chuck or other cheap steaks, especially if I cook it a InstaPot with dried beans and spices. Let that go for 90 minutes than add the onions, stewed tomatoes and anything else I feel like tossing in there. Sometimes it does come out more like a thick beef stew than chili, but I like it . :)

If you don't like using the cinnamon you can just add a touch of anything with an earthy flavor. Just a little bit helps tone the acidity down. Choices vary from cocoa powder to porcini mushroom powder.

Back