Jews shaken by the attacks must remember that oppression and hate have never ended

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
Two weeks after the Hamas attack in Israel, the shattered sense of safety felt by Jews around the world hasn’t gone away.

It’s the same ever-present insecurity felt by many people of color in the United States — including Jews of color.

“I always feel like there’s a bright pink fluorescent target on my back. I’m Black. I’m a woman. I’m Jewish,” said Debrosha McCants, a mother of grown children in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

The difference, she says, between Jews of color and Jews who appear white — or who have embraced whiteness — is that people of color can’t hide from racism.

“I often talk to white-passing Jews who say, ‘I don’t wear a kippah, I don’t want people to know I’m Jewish,’” McCants said. “Because I’ve been Black my whole life, I don’t have the privilege to hide who I am.

https://forward.com/opinion/566251/jews-of-color-israel-gaza-war/

And even as "white" Jews were admitted to the club, antisemitism didn’t go away. In recent years, it’s even increased.

And yet every day you come to this site and support the party of anti-Semitism. Shit you even vote the anti-Semites into office.

It's an interesting dynamic that Jews are considered by some to be oppressors and colonializers while also being oppressed.

I spent time two weekends ago with one of my best buddies who happens to be a LatinX Jew. When they reference P.O.C. and the idea of embracing whiteness I think of my friend. He's well educated and is proud of his Chilian heritage but other than that kind of blends in like everyone else.

Back