John Adams on HBO

I'm no armchair expert on Adams, but I never liked the fact that he was a big believer in the "natural order' of social stratification, a defender of the aristocracy and propertied class, and a proponent for the interests of wealth and privildge. And he was more of a theocrat, than Jefferson and Madison. In short, he was a conservative by the standards of his day, and he, his party, and his philosopy were the fore runners of the republican party.

I was always partial to Jefferson and Madison, to their more populist and democratic heritage, and their fealty to separation of church and state. :)

They have already shown that in the first two episodes. He was reluctant to join the fray at first. He was not a rash man but he did believe in justice and the rule of law being fair to all men. One of the good things about this series is the relationship he had with Abigail who grounded him and was every bit as bright as himself.

I'm no armchair expert on Adams, but I never liked the fact that he was a big believer in the "natural order' of social stratification, a defender of the aristocracy and propertied class, and a proponent for the interests of wealth and privildge. And he was more of a theocrat, than Jefferson and Madison. In short, he was a conservative by the standards of his day, and he, his party, and his philosopy were the fore runners of the republican party.

I was always partial to Jefferson and Madison, to their more populist and democratic heritage, and their fealty to separation of church and state. :)

Actually, Madison and Jefferson opposed big government, while Adams supported it.

It was kind of a big switcheroo.

They have already shown that in the first two episodes. He was reluctant to join the fray at first. He was not a rash man but he did believe in justice and the rule of law being fair to all men. One of the good things about this series is the relationship he had with Abigail who grounded him and was every bit as bright as himself.

To be honest, the nation probably would've been better off if Hamilton and Adams ideas about a more unified federal system had come to fruition in the early republic. Libertarians would object, but the amount of federalism in a system has nothing to do with the amount of liberty it provides, and all I've ever seen from the states is them ignoring the constitution and lynching blacks.

I watched the first and second episode today and its pretty damn good.

hi d

yes. they seem to have gotten the history right but left out the part about adams having to flee to canada among other things, but i suspect that there was insufficient money to cover the subject more throughly

To be honest, the nation probably would've been better off if Hamilton and Adams ideas about a more unified federal system had come to fruition in the early republic. Libertarians would object, but the amount of federalism in a system has nothing to do with the amount of liberty it provides, and all I've ever seen from the states is them ignoring the constitution and lynching blacks.

all of the states?

also, what of the 10th amendment

Actually, Madison and Jefferson opposed big government, while Adams supported it.

It was kind of a big switcheroo.

yah after watching the series last night it sort of spiked my interest in adams.. and i got the idea that Jefferson was more the state rights republican leaning versus adams that wanted the big government.

what i did learn however is the politics.. few key points

Adams was the mastermind.. he pushed to have Washington nominated to be first general. He asked Jefferson to write the Declaration of independence cause he was not as popular from defending the British soldiers from the Boston massacre.

Its also interesting that both Adams and Jefferson died on the same day 50year July 4th anniversary and that adams dieing words were Jefferson lives.

Back