John Edwards -yaaaawwwnnn- Endorses Barack Obama

The Bare Knuckled Pundit

Grand Inquisitor
In a blatantly self-serving jump on the bandwagon, immaculately maned former rival John Edwards endorsed Barack Obama in a surprise appearance in Grand Rapids, Michigan yesterday. Following months of open and behind the scenes lobbying from both the Obama and Clinton camps, the 2004 Democratic vice presidential nominee touted Obama as the new champion of his own crusade to create a unified America as he encouraged party loyalists to unite behind the junior Senator from Illinois.

Opening his remarks prior to his formal endorsement, Edwards engaged in an act of spineless bet-hedging as he effusively praised Obama’s remaining rival, Hillary Clinton. In an effort to salve the slight and avoid the wrath of the Kurgan, Edwards insisted, “We are a stronger party because Hillary Clinton is a Democrat, we are a stronger country because of her years of public service, and we’re going to have a stronger presidential nominee in the fall because of her work.”

On cue, Obama dutifully nodded while waiting to receive the long sought after prize of Edwards’ endorsement.

In the midst of receiving Edwards’ approbation the day after being unmercifully pummeled by Clinton by more that 2-to-1 in West Virginia, the Obama campaign executed a truly master stroke. Stealing Clinton’s thunder, Obama deftly shifted the media’s focus on a dime and regained all-important momentum all in one fell swoop. And this all less than twenty-four hours after the polls had closed in the Mountain State.

Towing the campaign line that the Democrat’s long road to Perdition is nowhere near an end, Clinton campaign Chairman and Master Kool-Aid Mixer Terry McAuliffe responded testily in a written statement, “We respect John Edwards. But as the voters of West Virginia showed last night, this thing is far from over."

One might think after such a seasoned and mature statement that Mr. McAuliffe might be taking his candidate and going home. Much to the Democratic National Committee’s chagrin, that is not the case.

Meanwhile, Clinton campaign staffers have been scouring Ebay for voodoo dolls and locks of the impeccably coifed Edwards’ hair.

Further taking the sting out of Barack’s West Virginia whooping were signs of cracks developing in the levee holding the rising Obama tide at bay. With the announcement today that he had picked up four superdelegates in addition to four of Edwards’ former delegates, as well as receiving the endorsement of the 600,000 member-strong United Steelworkers Union it is clear the Obama campaign has quickly recovered and is back on track.

What is so striking is the agility the campaign displayed in recovering from what in all likelihood would have been a critical, if not mortal wound had it occurred earlier in the primary hunt.

Moreover, one can only imagine where Obama, Clinton and the Democrats would be at this point had Edwards forgone playing coy and made his endorsement soon after bowing out of the race. Having pilloried Hillary in tandem with Barack, there was never any realistic possibility of his endorsing Clinton. To do so would have cost him any semblance of credibility he had left. Had Edwards had some intestinal fortitude and shown the courage of his convictions by endorsing and campaigning for Obama earlier on, the Democrat’s time in political purgatory may well have been long behind them by now.

Kudos on taking a hit for the time, John! Hope you didn’t mess up your hair jumping on the bandwagon as it neared the end of the parade route!

Here is some news for people; John Edwards is said to like Hillary Clinton. Personally like her. On another point, she adopted his health care plan, Obama did not. It's very likely that Edwards wanted to endorse Hillary. He didn't because here is what Democrats care about this year: Winning. Personal feelings must be set aside.

The timing of his endorsement stopped Hillary's W Virginia 'Comeback Gal" narrative right in its tracks. The tone and content of his speech on the other hand, was a warm welcoming hand to her when she drops out and joins them on that stage, and also, a warm welcoming hand to her supporters.

A final note. I am really tired of this attitude that seems to come across. Did you swear fealty to Barack Obama the very second you heard his name? Why not? When did you get on the Obama bandwagon? For every day you waited, you'll be marked down. Were you not on as of three weeks ago? He doesn't need you.

Let me tell you something. He's a politician. He may make a very good President, I certainly hope so. But this is not a religion, it's an election. And he needs every vote. So get off the high horses.

Here is some news for people; John Edwards is said to like Hillary Clinton. Personally like her.

The timing of his endorsement stopped Hillary's W Virginia 'Comeback Gal" narrative right in its tracks.

A final note. I am really tired of this attitude that seems to come across. Did you swear fealty to Barack Obama the very second you heard his name? Why not? When did you get on the Obama bandwagon? For every day you waited, you'll be marked down. Were you not on as of three weeks ago? He doesn't need you.

Let me tell you something. He's a politician. He may make a very good President, I certainly hope so. But this is not a religion, it's an election. And he needs every vote. So get off the high horses.

Darla,

First, regardless of personal feelings and opinions, this is politics. And the Bigs at that. This isn't town council in rural West Virginia; it's the presidency of the United States. While Senator Edwards may be a devout Hillary admirer, he unabashedly attacked her in tag team fashion with Senator Obama while he was in the hunt. As they say, if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.

Second, thank you for agreeing with my analysis on the strategic nature of the endorsement's timing. Clearly the Obama camp is quick on its toes.

Finally, sorry, but I haven't drank the Obama Kool-Aid. Were he passing out Guinness or Jagermeister, you could count me in. That, however, does not mean he would receive my vote.

I am not on the bandwagon or taking any oaths, either. I am but a humble commentator and analyst. My goal is to inform, challenge, provoke, illuminate and enlighten my readers; nothing more, nothing less. Since I'm 6'5", though, I do understand why you might mistake me for being on a high horse. Common mistake and no biggie.

Thanks again for the input! Ideas and arguments, like raw elements are strengthened under fire and pressure.

Welcome aboard ol' bareknuckled one.

Irrespective of Edwards' late arrival at the party, it was a welcome addition, and I'm salivating over the prospect that he could become Attorney General.

The battle within the Democratic Party is between the progressive wing of the party and the DLC. That is the choice Edwards had to make, and like a politician, he weighed his choices carefully.

Rolling him out after WV was genius and a thing of beauty .. AND it turned out to be more effective than had he endorsed Obama earlier, such as before the NC primary which Obama was going to win anyway.

It was a good chess move. It was just a simple honest ,fair and well though Chess move.

Nothing wrong with playing the cards as best you are dealt without cheating.

I have to admit I was a little taken aback on the leavee referance "Further taking the sting out of Barack’s West Virginia whooping were signs of cracks developing in the levee holding the rising Obama tide at bay" It is heavy handed and conjures up pictures of black people in desperate states. Obamas following is not just black people. I am a white middle aged woman who has been for Obama since I realized that Edwards was out. I actually though about not supporting Edwards because he was the White Male candidate. It was a flash of a thought that lasted a fraction of a second but it was enough for me to tell myself how obsurd a thought that was and it solidified my support for Edwards. It was his ideas that I loved and the fact of his ancestry should not even be considered. I was against Hillary from the begining because I felt she took too much lobby money and owed too many favors. I would NEVER vote for a woman just because she was a woman.

I just wonder why you chose that analogy?

I have to admit I was a little taken aback on the leavee referance "Further taking the sting out of Barack’s West Virginia whooping were signs of cracks developing in the levee holding the rising Obama tide at bay" It is heavy handed and conjures up pictures of black people in desperate states.

Personally, I don't feel the analogy is heavy handed in the least. Nor are there any subliminal or underlying racial undertones.

The analogy comes from one of my favorite Led Zepplin tunes, "The Levee". The chorus is. "If it keeps on rainin', the levee's goin' to break." I think it's apt in this situation, in that if it keeps on raining delegates for Obama, the levee holding him back will break and he will flood the Democratic Party, politically speaking, of course.

Hope that clears up any misconceptions and sets your mind at ease.

Ciao for Now!

I get you.

I guess Im still a little raw from the Katrina disastor and how our country turned a blind eye to the suffering of so many.

I love the Zep too.

It was a good chess move. It was just a simple honest ,fair and well though Chess move.

Nothing wrong with playing the cards as best you are dealt without cheating.

I have to admit I was a little taken aback on the leavee referance "Further taking the sting out of Barack’s West Virginia whooping were signs of cracks developing in the levee holding the rising Obama tide at bay" It is heavy handed and conjures up pictures of black people in desperate states. Obamas following is not just black people. I am a white middle aged woman who has been for Obama since I realized that Edwards was out. I actually though about not supporting Edwards because he was the White Male candidate. It was a flash of a thought that lasted a fraction of a second but it was enough for me to tell myself how obsurd a thought that was and it solidified my support for Edwards. It was his ideas that I loved and the fact of his ancestry should not even be considered. I was against Hillary from the begining because I felt she took too much lobby money and owed too many favors. I would NEVER vote for a woman just because she was a woman.

He might even have done it in time to secure the VP position on the Obama ticket. Face it, Obama is going to need a White Guy on the ticket and anyone will suffice. And he has great hair too, another positive selling point.

WOW...................!

Darla,

First, regardless of personal feelings and opinions, this is politics. And the Bigs at that. This isn't town council in rural West Virginia; it's the presidency of the United States. While Senator Edwards may be a devout Hillary admirer, he unabashedly attacked her in tag team fashion with Senator Obama while he was in the hunt. As they say, if you want a friend in Washington, get a dog.

Second, thank you for agreeing with my analysis on the strategic nature of the endorsement's timing. Clearly the Obama camp is quick on its toes.

Finally, sorry, but I haven't drank the Obama Kool-Aid. Were he passing out Guinness or Jagermeister, you could count me in. That, however, does not mean he would receive my vote.

I am not on the bandwagon or taking any oaths, either. I am but a humble commentator and analyst. My goal is to inform, challenge, provoke, illuminate and enlighten my readers; nothing more, nothing less. Since I'm 6'5", though, I do understand why you might mistake me for being on a high horse. Common mistake and no biggie.

Thanks again for the input! Ideas and arguments, like raw elements are strengthened under fire and pressure.

6'5" 300lbs of dynomite with a 2" fuse...impressive(or not).......desh and darla will be knocking your socks off in no time...:cof1:

Back