John McCain's Strongest Ally: 15%

CanadianKid

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0408/9761.html

A measure of racism: 15 percent?
By ROGER SIMON * 4/21/08 7:25 PM EST Text Size:

An AP-Yahoo poll conducted April 2-14 found that “about 8 percent of whites would be uncomfortable voting for a black for president.”

I was talking the other day to a prominent Republican who asked me what I thought John McCain’s strongest issues would be in the general election.

Lower taxes and the argument he will be better able to protect America from its enemies, I said.

Republicans have a pretty good track record with those two.

The Republican shook his head. “You’re missing the most important one,” he said. “Race. McCain runs against Barack Obama and the race vote is worth maybe 15 percent to McCain.”

The man I was talking to is not a racist; he was just stating what he believes to be a fact: There is a percentage of the American electorate who will simply not vote for a black person no matter what his qualities or qualifications.

How big is that percentage? An AP-Yahoo poll conducted April 2-14 found that “about 8 percent of whites would be uncomfortable voting for a black for president.”

I don’t know if 8 percent sounds high or low to you, but I was amazed that 8 percent of respondents were willing to admit this to a pollster. And I figure that the true figure is much higher.

The same poll, by the way, found that 15 percent of voters think Obama is a Muslim. He is, in fact, a Christian. But thinking a person is a Muslim probably does not encourage you to vote for him in America today.

And consider this little nugget from Monday’s Washington Post, in a story by Kevin Merida and Jose Antonio Vargas datelined Scranton, Pa.:

“Barack Obama’s campaign opened a downtown office here on March 15, just in time for the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade. It was not a glorious day for Team Obama. Some of the green signs the campaign had trucked in by the thousands were burned during the parade, and campaign volunteers — white volunteers — were greeted with racial slurs.”

Signs burned? Racial slurs shouted out loud? In this day and age? Maybe that 15 percent estimate is low.

I am not suggesting for a second that McCain would exploit race in a campaign against Obama. He would not. But the real question is whether the racial issue has to be “exploited” at all. It is pretty powerful just sitting there on its own.

Ronald Reagan began his presidential campaign in 1980 by giving a speech at a county fair in Philadelphia, Miss., where three civil rights workers — James Chaney, Michael Schwerner and Andrew Goodman — had been murdered in 1964.

Reagan made no mention of the murders or civil rights in that speech but did say, “I believe in states’ rights.” “States’ rights” was common code in those days for letting states discriminate against black people.

few months ago, David Brooks, a conservative columnist for The New York Times, defended Reagan, claiming it is a “distortion” to say Reagan opened his campaign “with an appeal to racism.”

But Brooks also wrote: “Reagan could have done something wonderful if he’d mentioned civil rights at the fair. He didn’t. And it’s obviously true that race played a role in the GOP’s ascent.”

In 2005, then-Republican Party chairman Ken Mehlman gave a speech to a National Association for the Advancement of Colored People convention in Milwaukee denouncing the use of race as a wedge issue.
“Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization,” Mehlman said. “I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong.”

On Monday, McCain went to Selma, Ala., where on March 7, 1965, more than 500 civil rights marchers were beaten and clubbed by state troopers at the Edmund Pettus Bridge as the rest of America watched on television.

“They watched and were ashamed of their country,” McCain said. “And they knew that the people who had tried to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge weren’t a mob; they weren’t a threat; they weren’t revolutionaries. They were people who believed in America — in the promise of America. And they believed in a better America. They were patriots — the best kind of patriots.”

The Associated Press noted that McCain drew a crowd Monday of about 100 people that “was mostly white, although, as the campaign noted, Selma’s population is 70 percent black.”

“I am aware the African-American vote has been very small in favor of the Republican Party; I am aware of the challenges, and I am aware of the fact that there will be many people who will not vote for me,” McCain said. “But I’m going to be the president of all the people.”

Which was an intriguing point: Sure, there are voters who will not vote for Obama under any circumstances, but McCain was saying there are also voters who will not vote for him under any circumstances.

But which group, if either one, will hold the balance of power in November?

horseshit, with a black man running the number of blacks unwilling to vote for McCain will be in 90% plus of 12% of the population. Do the math, rednecks lose.

horseshit, with a black man running the number of blacks unwilling to vote for McCain will be in 90% plus of 12% of the population. Do the math, rednecks lose.

Topspin LOL wrong assumption buddy...Let me explain it in simpler language for you...

Doesnt really matter if 90% of blacks wont vote for McCain...as we have seen in the last 2 elections...only 10% of blacks voted for Bush...So McCain aint losing any black voters....net sum = 0

If on the other hand we have 15% of white voters who make up 70% of the electorate say they wont vote for a black man.... Sure maybe 2/3 wouldnt vote for a Dem in any possibility but that would mean at least 5% would be willing to vote for a D that wasnt a minority...Just so you know there are racist Democrat voters too....

net sum = +5 McCain

Therefore whichever way you look at it, McCain has a big advantage...

intelligence of Topspin = 0.002

CK

This is why I say your breath smells like similac.

There are way more dems than repubs, your 2/3 is more like 1/3 and a lot of the repubs are fed up with the morons they've had

This is why I say your breath smells like similac.

There are way more dems than repubs, your 2/3 is more like 1/3 and a lot of the repubs are fed up with the morons they've had

Actually from 2004 there seems to be more Republicans than Democrats... about 2 million more....

Doesnt matter if its 1/3 or 2/3 Topspin whichever way...There are Democratic racist voters who would not vote for Barack Obama simply because he is black...

This group of people could be anywhere between 0-15% of voters...which in a 50/50 divided country is a significant advantage for McCain...

So your remarks are invalid like usual, mr. mail-in MBA...

CK

I have always said in a McCain obama race Rsacism will be a situation of not knowing how many jokers will be in the deck. But they will be there. Rascism will be a much bigger factor in some states than others. I Expect McSame to carry KY in an Obama/McSame ticket. due to rascism.
I just hope we ditch Mitch this fall.

CANANIAN DORK, get your head out your video game playing ass.
Since 2004 there has been a massive move from republican to democrat. Do you live on a commune farm without cable.
Have you missed the areana's filled with whites chearing Obama all over the country.

I have always said in a McCain obama race Rsacism will be a situation of not knowing how many jokers will be in the deck. But they will be there. Rascism will be a much bigger factor in some states than others. I Expect McSame to carry KY in an Obama/McSame ticket. due to rascism.
I just hope we ditch Mitch this fall.

I expect him to carry KY but not based solely on racism. Having my in-laws in KY I have gotten to know folks there quite a bit. I expect McCain to carry KY for the same reason I expect him to carry OK......issues that most folks think are important. Many in KY won't vote for Obama for the same reasons they wouldn't vote for Kerry or Gore.

Having said that I do not for one minute think that racism won't play a factor in some voters. I just don't think it will be that many....you know, enough to swing a whole state.

I don't know about that. In rural KY it is bad. all the talk of not wanting a ni#$$@ in the whitehouse. And this is among Dems or in this case dims.

I have heard similar talk in small circles here. But it is small (minded) circles, not throngs of people. It would be something if we could actually see what people think when they vote.

All politics in the south comes from race...

The politics of 1870-1960 existed soley as a reaction to the Republicans freeing of the slaves, and the politics of 1960-now are a reaction to the Democrats giving blacks civil rights. The south doesn't exist as individuals, it's a hive mind, and they don't think independently. That's why the south has always really controlled America.

Back