Kona Ironman World Championships this Sat.

I completed a long distance duathlon, 10k x 100k x 10k, in under 5 hours about 20 years ago and it wiped me out. I only did one thing harder than that. Doing an Ironman in Kona’s heat, humidity and wind is just mindboggling.

I completed a long distance duathlon, 10k x 100k x 10k, in under 5 hours about 20 years ago and it wiped me out. I only did one thing harder than that. Doing an Ironman in Kona’s heat, humidity and wind is just mindboggling.

I did the Tour of Anchorage cross country ski race last winter. 50 k. I won't do that again.

I did the Tour of Anchorage cross country ski race last winter. 50 k. I won't do that again.
I did a 200 mile bike ride once. Took me 13 hours. Did the first 100 in 5 hours, and then did the last 100 miles into a 25 mph cross wind. Blew up and hit the wall at 150 mile point and had to granny gear it to the finish line. So the second 100 miles took me 8 hours.

The toughest thing I ever did, and the athletic accomplishment I'm proudest of was a two day bike ride of 215 miles with over 25,000 ft of elevation climb and I had the 5th best overall time out of a field of 500+ riders. My training partner had the best over all time. Neither one of us had any idea we'd do that well but I was driven like hell to beat him and he was driven like hell to not let me beat him (he won) but we both drove each other to a whole other level. It took me two weeks to recover from that ride. I remember hitting the wall like about 2 minutes after I crossed the finish line and couldn't get up to walk for over an hour. I was wrapped up in one of those mylar blankets and shivering in a fetal position till I was able to get my blood sugar back up. I thought I was going to die. Felt great till I got off the bike then....boom! Lights out, parties over.

Patrick Lange won it again this yr. breaking his own record from last yr. First to go sub 8 hrs. He didn't even seem all that tired doing his interview minutes later. Second place was under 8:00 also.

Back