Kudos to Obama

Cancel 2016.2

The Almighty
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/02/opposing-view-3.html

:hand:

"In 2007, shortly after I became a candidate for president, I asked the Federal Election Commission to clear any regulatory obstacles to a publicly funded general election in 2008 with real spending limits. The commission did that. But this cannot happen without the agreement of the parties' eventual nominees. As I have said, I will aggressively pursue such an agreement if I am my party's nominee."

It is refreshing is it not. He could easily weasle out of his past statements on the issue... yet, he stands by his word. A very good quality.

I hope McCain follows suit in working towards an agreement on this.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/02/opposing-view-3.html

:hand:

"In 2007, shortly after I became a candidate for president, I asked the Federal Election Commission to clear any regulatory obstacles to a publicly funded general election in 2008 with real spending limits. The commission did that. But this cannot happen without the agreement of the parties' eventual nominees. As I have said, I will aggressively pursue such an agreement if I am my party's nominee."

It is refreshing is it not. He could easily weasle out of his past statements on the issue... yet, he stands by his word. A very good quality.

I hope McCain follows suit in working towards an agreement on this.

Yep. I think his campaign is calling it

"CHANGE"

McCain probably will because he got a bank loan awhile back in which he had to promise to do the public funding as a stipulation to get the loan.

That is why he called on President O to join him a couple of days ago.

McCain called for it a while back. I guess this time we'll have less spending... maybe.

McCain also did some tap-dancing on the public funding issue when he took out his loan, basically agreeing to take public funding if the primary didn't go well but leaving himself an out if it did and he began to raise lots of money.

It looks like Obama doesn't want to get tied into the public spending cap with McCain operating through outside surrogates spending lots of money so he's not limiting this to simply having the two candidates accept public financing. It looks like he's trying to get a broader agreement between the candidates with respect to overall spending and by whom.

McCain probably will because he got a bank loan awhile back in which he had to promise to do the public funding as a stipulation to get the loan.

To clarify that... he promised to seek federal funding IF his campaign faltered to the point he may not be able to repay the loan. But then he started winning. He repaid the loan. He is not obligated to seek federal funding because of the loan.

As you and Damo stated, he did call for it. I just hope he sticks to his guns and works to an agreement with Obama to use federal funds and set the guidelines Obama mentions.

What he said.

McCain also did some tap-dancing on the public funding issue when he took out his loan, basically agreeing to take public funding if the primary didn't go well but leaving himself an out if it did and he began to raise lots of money.

It looks like Obama doesn't want to get tied into the public spending cap with McCain operating through outside surrogates spending lots of money so he's not limiting this to simply having the two candidates accept public financing. It looks like he's trying to get a broader agreement between the candidates with respect to overall spending and by whom.

Tap-dancing? A bit of a distortion. He stated that he would seek it if he needed it to keep his campaign going. He had to do so to get the loan. There was no tap-dancing. It was either agree to use it if it became necessary or no loan.

All this will really do though is funnel most of the cash through 527's that the candidates will say, "I can't control them."

McCain's idiot law just makes the partisan hackery even stronger through 527s.

To clarify that... he promised to seek federal funding IF his campaign faltered to the point he may not be able to repay the loan. But then he started winning. He repaid the loan. He is not obligated to seek federal funding because of the loan.

As you and Damo stated, he did call for it. I just hope he sticks to his guns and works to an agreement with Obama to use federal funds and set the guidelines Obama mentions.
this.

Tap-dancing? A bit of a distortion. He stated that he would seek it if he needed it to keep his campaign going. He had to do so to get the loan. There was no tap-dancing. It was either agree to use it if it became necessary or no loan.

Actually, he already opted into the system for the primary, then with the loan documents he didn't want to be pinned down on that and gave himself an out so I'd say he tap-danced a bit.

I was talking about you. I posted pretty much the same explanation then deleted it when I saw that you had it pretty well covered.

sure.... try to tap dance your way out of your mistake....

:rolleyes:

(Lorax... should you happen to read this, the above is sarcasm)

I was talking about you. I posted pretty much the same explanation then deleted it when I saw that you had it pretty well covered.

SF is our resident boy toy who gets owned in almost every thread. He has to grasp at even the flimsiest of straws to offset the prolific ownage that hounds his @$$ on this board.

Back