Last Years Headline

nji098

O.K., so Obama specifically bypasses Congress to reward Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Execs for their poor performance. How might last years Headline look ?

"Bush Rewards Failure"

"Dumbell Prez throws Good Money after Bad"

Now......not even mentioning the Dems untiring efforts to protect F.M. 2 from Bush Administration/Republican Congressional efforts to increase oversight and regulation (the biggest story NOT told in last years campaign coverage), let's pretend this happened one year ago. Think the W. Post would go out of their way to obscure the facts by using this vague terminology for the headline : "U.S. promises unlimited financial assistance to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac", especially when the story lede begins with this ?

"The Bush [Obama] administration pledged Thursday to provide unlimited financial assistance to mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, an eleventh-hour move that allows the government to exceed the current $400 billion cap on emergency aid without seeking permission from a bailout-weary Congress. "

"But even as the administration was making this open-ended financial commitment, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac disclosed that they had received approval from their federal regulator to pay $42 million in Wall Street-style compensation packages to 12 top executives for 2009. "

Again, imagine this Front Page Headline during the Bush administration (my emphasis) :

U.S. promises unlimited financial assistance to Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac

Such journalistic anonymity...

Sorry, here :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/24/AR2009122401588.html?hpid=topnews

the truth of hypocrisy aside, the unavoidable truth is that the US has no choice except to give unlimited financial backing to both......they are merely conduits for the promises of the US to back up mortgages that have been approved....unless we go bankrupt we WILL continue to give them limitless funds....a friend of mine who is a realtor specializing in representing foreclosed properties told me last week there is an inventory of around 1.6 million foreclosed homes waiting to hit the market in January.

Last edited:
"Too big to fail" has got to start to mean "too big to exist" or we're just setting ourselves up for another of these huge "stimulus" packages.

the truth of hypocrisy aside, the unavoidable truth is that the US has no choice except to give unlimited financial backing to both......they are merely conduits for the promises of the US to back up mortgages that have been approved....unless we go bankrupt we WILL continue to give them limitless funds....a friend of mine who is a realtor specializing in representing foreclosed properties told me last week there is an inventory of around 1.6 million foreclosed homes waiting to hit the market in January.

Maybe, but the point was the Posts new-found coyness in naming names regarding awarding bonuses to poorly performing Execs, particularly after their indignation over similar examples from the recent past. I have no doubt their headline would have read "Bush Promises Unlimited..." if this had happened last year.

Sorry if you find such fancy linguistic footwork so "boring"...

Back