Lawmakers Heavily Invested in Defense

uscitizen

Villified User
Lawmakers Heavily Invested in Defense

Thursday April 3, 3:40 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Members of Congress have as much as $196 million collectively invested in companies doing business with the Defense Department, earning millions since the onset of the Iraq war, according to a new study by a nonpartisan research group.

The review of lawmakers' 2006 financial disclosure statements, by the Washington-based Center for Responsive Politics, suggests that members' holdings could pose a conflict of interest as they decide the fate of Iraq war spending. Several members earning money from these contractors have plum committee or leadership assignments, including Democratic Sen. John Kerry, independent Sen. Joseph Lieberman and House Republican Whip Roy Blunt.

The study found that more Republicans than Democrats hold stock in defense companies, but that the Democrats who are invested had significantly more money at stake. In 2006, for example, Democrats held at least $3.7 million in military-related investments, compared to Republican investments of $577,500.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8vqj6io0&date=20080403

from article

According to the report, presidential hopefuls Barack Obama and John McCain did not report any defense-related holdings on their filings; Hillary Rodham Clinton did note holdings in such companies as Honeywell, Boeing and Raytheon, but sold the stock in May 2007. All three are members of the Senate.

I think how they vote is even more important.

You can never really tell why they vote the way they do but you sure can watch how they vote and then not vote for them in return.

It time to do a massive cut of the military and make these corporations go back to building American instead of sucking it dry.

My theory for now is to vote in new blood that is not ingrained too much in the culture of corruption pervading our govt.
Hope we can ditch mitch in KY this fall.

My theory for now is to vote in new blood that is not ingrained too much in the culture of corruption pervading our govt.
Hope we can ditch mitch in KY this fall.

It takes about two months upon arrival in Washington D.C. to be corrupted. New blood doesn't mean jack.

Last edited:
I think we need to have open season on lobbyists.

just bait a field with congressmen and hide in the edges.

I don't like the sucking dry part. But I'd elect desh on the reduce military and build America. Like me she has a son and my guess is she doesnt want him in an elective war.

Back