Legal Personal Question about gold digger and my grandfather

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
My grandmother died years ago at age 68 from cancer. Since that my grandfather has never been same. Moved to Florida and has been thru a few woman. Last year he was diagnosed with cancer. He started dating some woman that lived a couple houses down from him this past March. Since with her hes purchased a new sports car, moved in with her, and allowed her son to move into his house. He is now terminal with only a couple months left to live. I was growing increasingly suspicious of this womans motives after I met her a few weeks ago and informed my Mother she should visit him un announced and make sure the will is in order. Turns out this woman got wind they were going down and convinced my grandfather to marry her and take my mother and aunt off the will.

In short this woman who has only known my grandfather for less then a year now stands to inherit his house, his new car, his bank accounts, and then get widows benefits for military health care social security and more. Furthermore she is essential threatening to hold his ashes if they try to fight for anything. He belongs buried with my grandmother whom he was married to for 50years.

Its worth noting that hes recovering from a major surgery when she married him and is on major does of oxy cotin.

What is a family to do? This woman is one step ahead of every move.

My grandmother died years ago at age 68 from cancer. Since that my grandfather has never been same. Moved to Florida and has been thru a few woman. Last year he was diagnosed with cancer. He started dating some woman that lived a couple houses down from him this past March. Since with her hes purchased a new sports car, moved in with her, and allowed her son to move into his house. He is now terminal with only a couple months left to live. I was growing increasingly suspicious of this womans motives after I met her a few weeks ago and informed my Mother she should visit him un announced and make sure the will is in order. Turns out this woman got wind they were going down and convinced my grandfather to marry her and take my mother and aunt off the will.

In short this woman who has only known my grandfather for less then a year now stands to inherit his house, his new car, his bank accounts, and then get widows benefits for military health care social security and more. Furthermore she is essential threatening to hold his ashes if they try to fight for anything. He belongs buried with my grandmother whom he was married to for 50years.

Its worth noting that hes recovering from a major surgery when she married him and is on major does of oxy cotin.

What is a family to do? This woman is one step ahead of every move.

Wow, that sucks. Time to make Soc. earn his lawyer stripes. If the law doesn't work, accidents can happen. I am guessing there is an age discrepancy between your grandfather and the woman in question?

I would GUESS that you could

1) question his state of mind when married

2) question the 'witnesses' to the marriage.

3) Talk to his doctor about the effects the medication might have had on his judgement/coherence.

I am sure you have thought of those already, but just trying to initiate a brainstorming session...

Hard to say what you can do. Unless you can show he was not of sound mind when he married her, and it will be tough to get him tested for that much less have it proven.

Has he shown signs of diminished capacity? (besides his relationship with the woman)

As long as he's not married, have him declared mentally imcompetent by means of his terminal illlness. Force him back in to your home and have the courts declare you as the executor of his estate.

Kick the gold digging bitch out of the house, take the car, have the son arrested for anything.

there were witnesses she wheeled him down to the city clerks to sign.

I was thinking of hiring a PI to do a major background check on her. My thinking is if we find something on her we can convince him to annul it.

Im very sad for my mother and aunt right now. He is clearly not in his right mind doing this sort of thing. Hes depressed, on drugs, and being manipulated.

This woman and her son stand to take everything that should be my mother and aunts in less then 1 year.

there were witnesses she wheeled him down to the city clerks to sign.

I was thinking of hiring a PI to do a major background check on her. My thinking is if we find something on her we can convince him to annul it.

Im very sad for my mother and aunt right now. He is clearly not in his right mind doing this sort of thing. Hes depressed, on drugs, and being manipulated.

This woman and her son stand to take everything that should be my mother and aunts in less then 1 year.

Good idea to have him move home, if you can convence him.

He wont move home and we cant even get him alone. She refuses to let anyone from our family with him without her in the room.

He wont move home and we cant even get him alone. She refuses to let anyone from our family with him without her in the room.

This is difficult, because you also have his feelings to consider at the end of his life. You possably could file a petition for guardianship, have it heard by a judge, have yourself or another family member appointed guardian, then pack him up and move him home. But that might just destroy what he has left. Its a hard call.

This is difficult, because you also have his feelings to consider at the end of his life. You possably could file a petition for guardianship, have it heard by a judge, have yourself or another family member appointed guardian, then pack him up and move him home. But that might just destroy what he has left. Its a hard call.

I don't think my parents or my aunt will fight for it and ruin the last amount of time with him. Frankly I dont even think they care about the money. What they do care about (what i care about) is the fact that this woman and her son dont deserve it. Sure maybe a small amount but not 100% in less then 1 year.

I don't think my parents or my aunt will fight for it and ruin the last amount of time with him. Frankly I dont even think they care about the money. What they do care about (what i care about) is the fact that this woman and her son dont deserve it. Sure maybe a small amount but not 100% in less then 1 year.

I agree. Offer her some money to go away quietly.

I think in that case Chap, I would hire the PI. Dig up everything you can on her.

Thats what I want to do. I noticed a few diamonds on her fingers when i met with her. Alarm flags went up immediately for me. She says only been married once in her life. We shall see.

Dont worry Chappy you making millions!

CK

So how does one avoid this in the future. What should my parents do ahead of time to make sure that when they are old and crazy they dont let some other family steel all there money that they worked there entire life for to pass on to there children?

Thats what I want to do. I noticed a few diamonds on her fingers when i met with her. Alarm flags went up immediately for me. She says only been married once in her life. We shall see.

If it comes back that you have nothing on her that you can use, try and talk to her about the sentimental things and his remains.

Maybe she will go along with that. If they are already married, unless you can prove him incompitent, there may not be much you can do. (except for the "accidents happen" idea)

Sign over durable power of attorney to someone they trust now. Thats what my father did when he got re-married. He sent me a copy of his will and had his attorney draw up a durable power of attorney to me as well as a living will appointing me as his health care serigate. (All at the insistance of his new wife.) When my father later died of cancer there were no questions.

This could all be overturned, but it at least starts things out on the right track.

If it comes back that you have nothing on her that you can use, try and talk to her about the sentimental things and his remains.

Maybe she will go along with that. If they are already married, unless you can prove him incompitent, there may not be much you can do. (except for the "accidents happen" idea)

Really once he is gone, your bargining chip would be that you would force her to spend more than the estate is worth in legal fees.

So how does one avoid this in the future. What should my parents do ahead of time to make sure that when they are old and crazy they dont let some other family steel all there money that they worked there entire life for to pass on to there children?

you set up an irrevocable family trust.

Back