less than a day, already lost my support

From the whitehouse.gov website:

"... Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent." ...

I cannot and will not support these measures, nor will I comply. I will oppose with any means necessary.

"... Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent." ...

I cannot and will not support these measures, nor will I comply. I will oppose with any means necessary.

Yeah - it's really terrible for law enforcement to have another tool to solve gun crimes, & to keep guns out of the hands of kids & criminals.

Way out lefties...

It will make hi-cap magazines worth more. I suggest buying some up now, if the Assault Weapons Ban is refreshed you will make money on those alone, for any gun. I had them for my Glocks because I purchased them as former LE guns during the ban, it was pretty much the only way to get them back then.

None of it seems too restrictive to me. The Assault Ban that expired was solely a cosmetic ban that had little bite. It did make certain things like hi-cap magazines more difficult to acquire, but not impossible.

Honestly it is a wash. Making guns child proof... Well, I understand the wish, but I know kids are smarter than the "proofing"...

But there are others who will see it as very restrictive indeed. But the laws don't make it so your guns you already have will be illegal, so get them while they are hot.

Yeah - it's really terrible for law enforcement to have another tool to solve gun crimes, & to keep guns out of the hands of kids & criminals.

Way out lefties...

Onceler, you have no clue on what that law is then. Law enforcement already has access to trace information for the use in solving crimes. The Tiarht amendment restricts access to trace information for that use only. Claiming that the amendment prevents law enforcement from accessing it is a lie.

There is no 'loophole'. It's a fantasy term used to make the unknowing public think that guns are obtainable at gun shows, from gun dealers, without obtaining a background check. This is totally false.

Like you supported them for on second?

We all know you never supported anything but the failed ideas that got us into this mess.

Onceler, you have no clue on what that law is then. Law enforcement already has access to trace information for the use in solving crimes. The Tiarht amendment restricts access to trace information for that use only. Claiming that the amendment prevents law enforcement from accessing it is a lie.

There is no 'loophole'. It's a fantasy term used to make the unknowing public think that guns are obtainable at gun shows, from gun dealers, without obtaining a background check. This is totally false.
Almost all of it is cosmetic, hence the reality that they just aren't that bad. If that is all he does about guns then he really isn't doing anything at all. Except the Tiahrt Amendment, of course. Only law enforcement needs that kind of access. I can't see his opposition to that Amendment.

Like you supported them for on second?

We all know you never supported anything but the failed ideas that got us into this mess.

suck my ass, oh ignorant one. I never got the chance to support them because they betrayed that oath less than 24 hours in to his presidency.

Almost all of it is cosmetic, hence the reality that they just aren't that bad. If that is all he does about guns then he really isn't doing anything at all. Except the Tiahrt Amendment, of course. Only law enforcement needs that kind of access. I can't see his opposition to that Amendment.
H.R. 1022 that was brought up last year is far worse than the 94 ban.

They oppose the tiarht amendment because it prevents local governments from using that data to run gun dealers and manufacturers out of business by endless lawsuits.

WOW WHAT A SURPRISE THIS WAS TEH UNEXPECTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

The "Gun Show Loophole" is nothing but a media frenzy over the idea that a citizen that legally owns a gun can sell that gun to another person without being a gun dealer.

If I want to sell cars for a living, I am sure there are regulatory and tax issues I have to deal with.

But if I decide to sell my personal car to an individual, I don't have to do all of that.

This is what was happening at gun shows. Collectors, gun owners, and shooters would sell their personal (used) firearms to other individuals. They do not have access to the background checks (and I doubt you want that to be a public access system). They do not have a Federal Firearms Licence. Its just regular folks selling from their personal collection. I sold a Ruger Mini-14 to a guy who lives near me. There is no way I could check his background or criminal record.

Making guns "childproof" is one of those things that sounds good but is not practical. Hold the gun owner responsible for the proper storage of his guns. Most gun owners do this already. But the rare occasions that get publicized make it a popular notion for politicians.

The Assault Rifle ban was a ridiculous piece of legislation the first time. It accomplished nothing. The idea that high capacity magazines are a problem is a joke. I guarantee I am more dangerous with my single action .44 than most people would be with a 9mm and an 18 round magazine. I also guarantee that I could do far more harm with my hunting rifle than the idiot gangbangers do with their hicap "assault rifles", and my hunting rifle is a bolt action that only holds 3 rounds.

Gun laws like these are about sensationalism and emotional responses to tragedies. The guns are not the problem.

True sol if you sell you individual car to another but is you sell 10 cars within 6 months I think you might need to get a dealers liscence and such.

Many/most of those selling at gun shows are dealers.

This is what was happening at gun shows. Collectors, gun owners, and shooters would sell their personal (used) firearms to other individuals. They do not have access to the background checks (and I doubt you want that to be a public access system). They do not have a Federal Firearms Licence. Its just regular folks selling from their personal collection. I sold a Ruger Mini-14 to a guy who lives near me. There is no way I could check his background or criminal record.

Then guns shows should have a group of people qualified to take background checks and approve each purchase. Or something else, if that doesn't work. It's extraordinarily unlikely that it's just that fucking difficult to do a background check at a gunshow. If the organizers have to go through a few hoops and raise rates in order to accommodate it, so be it. Gun shops have to go through the extra costs in order to make sure that felons don't have easy fast access to guns, they still run profitably.

Back