Letter to the Children of Gaza | The Chris Hedges Report

Scott

Verified User
The article with the same name as this thread was published today on Chris Hedges' substack site. I read this one from start to finish, found it to be very moving. Hopefully others here will read it and be moved by it as well. Maybe even generate a constructive conversation on the current genocide in Gaza. Quoting the introduction and the conclusion of the article. I don't agree with the end remark- Put simply, I don't think it's Gaza's reporters who have failed these children. As Chris mentions, 39 of them have been killed since this new wave of bombings began. It's the power brokers who have failed them, the Israeli government and those who support them such as the American government and all those who supported Israel's decision for this genocide. With that said, to the article...

Dear child. It is past midnight. I am flying at hundreds of miles an hour in the darkness, thousands of feet over the Atlantic Ocean. I am traveling to Egypt. I will go to the border of Gaza at Rafah. I go because of you.

You have never been in a plane. You have never left Gaza. You know only the densely packed streets and alleys. The concrete hovels. You know only the security barriers and fences patrolled by soldiers that surround Gaza. Planes, for you, are terrifying. Fighter jets. Attack helicopters. Drones. They circle above you. They drop missiles and bombs. Deafening explosions. The ground shakes. Buildings fall. The dead. The screams. The muffled calls for help from beneath the rubble. It does not stop. Night and day. Trapped under the piles of smashed concrete. Your playmates. Your schoolmates. Your neighbors. Gone in seconds. You see the chalky faces and limp bodies when they are dug out. I am a reporter. It is my job to see this. You are a child. You should never see this.

[snip]

I hope one day we will meet. You will be an adult. I will be an old man, although to you I am already very old. In my dream for you I will find you free and safe and happy. No one will be trying to kill you. You will fly in airplanes filled with people, not bombs. You will not be trapped in a concentration camp. You will see the world. You will grow up and have children. You will become old. You will remember this suffering, but you will know it means you must help others who suffer. This is my hope. My prayer.

We have failed you. This is the awful guilt we carry. We tried. But we did not try hard enough. We will go to Rafah. Many of us. Reporters. We will stand outside the border with Gaza in protest. We will write and film. This is what we do. It is not much. But it is something. We will tell your story again.

Maybe it will be enough to earn the right to ask for your forgiveness.

Full article:
Letter to the Children of Gaza | The Chris Hedges Report

Back