Libertarians.... A Politics fully funded

CanadianKid

The New York Times runs a very good review of The Wrecking Crew by Thomas Frank, a book which "tells the story of free-market ideologues who came to Washington to start a revolution and built a lucrative lobbying empire instead."

However, what struck me was an excerpt in which Frank explains why there are so many libertarian think tanks in a country with so few actual libertarians: "The reason that we have so many well-funded libertarian think tanks in America these days is not because libertarianism suddenly acquired an enormous grass-roots following, but because it appeals to those who are able to fund ideas... Libertarianism is a politics born to be subsidized."

Couldnt have said it better myself...

Libertarianism is a nice theory for schoolboy emo geeks we have on here....And we have quite a lot, I'm talking about our Drama Queen Trio of Watermark, Epicurus, and DigitalDave...

CK

Actually, the Libertarian Party is the most successful third party in half a century.

There are more Libertarians elected to public office than all the other third parties combined.

Actually, the Libertarian Party is the most successful third party in half a century.

There are more Libertarians elected to public office than all the other third parties combined.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of those officials were elected in non-partisan races.

I don't think many people like the Libertarians when they realize that they're dealing with a Libertarian. "Most successful third party in half a century" isn't much of an honor, BTW. The Green party and the Reform party have all had better presidential showings but they fell apart once their main personalities left.

The problem with most third parties is that no one of any substance ever wants to join one. There's just not much reason to, unlike in other countries, where party discipline is tight. Even the Progressive party, which had a lot of talent go over to it, only managed to gain a single fucking senate seat in its first election. And that guy ran under the Republican label.

Back