Life without parole

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Out of all the developed nations in the world, there are only about 4 who use the LWOP sentence. The Netherlands has imposed it about 30 times since 1950, the UK has about 30 people in prison with no life tariff set, and a handful of Australian states have adopted the sentence. We are, of course, the only nation in the world that imposes it on minors.

Now, regarding New Jerseys decision to abolish the death penalty, they replaced it with mandatory life without parole. Now, it is really a curious sort of mercy that liberals are imposing here, replacing a death sentence that requires much deliberation to impose, with a death sentence than is mandatory...

Strangely enough we (in Australia) use it for paedophile offenders but not murderers. Or maybe it's not so strange. We can't "cure" paedophiles yet so when we convict them for sexual offences against children we bang them up for an indefinite period. But with murderers they get a non-parole period and then they can ask for parole.

I know that's not your point though, just something that strikes me as a bit odd sometimes. You're arguing that it's inhuman to lock someone up in prison until they die I think. If I remember rightly John Stuart Mill made the same argument in the British Parliament. But prisons in England were fairly shitty places in Mill's time. But then prisons aren't very nice places. I hated having to visit them, couldn't wait to get out.

But execution isn't reversable, life imprisonment is. Although monetary compensation for unlawful imprisonment is a piss poor way of giving someone back the stolen years of their life.

Back