Like I've always said....The US is a fundamentally Conservative Country...

It's a pretty bad article. I mean, to determine whether the country is right or left leaning wouldn't the first thing you would have to determine is where the majority stands on various issues that can be judged on a left-right scale? There is no actual evidence to back up the assertion that the country is "center-right."

It's a pretty bad article. I mean, to determine whether the country is right or left leaning wouldn't the first thing you would have to determine is where the majority stands on various issues that can be judged on a left-right scale? There is no actual evidence to back up the assertion that the country is "center-right."

I think we were 'center left' for what it meant in the 70's, then went 'center/center to center/right' in the 80's and 90's. We are now center/left in the main, being led left, by the Democratic base. I expect backlash in 2-4 years.

It is a great article. I wish more on the minty fresh left would read it and take it to heart. We are consistently told by the left that running from the center does not work, but McGovern and Mondale and Dukakis prove different. You cant win this country fromt he liberal position. Particularly economically. People in this country want to be well off if not down right wealthy. Ask any person making 26k per year if they would turn down a raise that doubled their income, or tripled it, or more. Damn few would say no, no matter how many times you multiplied it. People want to be rich. They want to be able to provide without worry for their family. The left in this country still does not believe that. Regardless of the historical facts at their disposal.

It is a great article. I wish more on the minty fresh left would read it and take it to heart. We are consistently told by the left that running from the center does not work, but McGovern and Mondale and Dukakis prove different. You cant win this country fromt he liberal position. Particularly economically. People in this country want to be well off if not down right wealthy. Ask any person making 26k per year if they would turn down a raise that doubled their income, or tripled it, or more. Damn few would say no, no matter how many times you multiplied it. People want to be rich. They want to be able to provide without worry for their family. The left in this country still does not believe that. Regardless of the historical facts at their disposal.

People want to be rich. They will not be rich. Giving all the wealth in the US to two or three overlords is just going to make everyone else poor.

You make the same mistake as the author, arguing from anecdote rather than evidence.

You make the same mistake as the author, arguing from anecdote rather than evidence.

An observation on an entire century of how government operates is not an anecdote.

It would be one thing to say "Ever notice how Democrats don't get the chance to govern as complete liberals?" but the article also notes the cycle where conservatives rarely get to govern completely by their fundmental principles as well.

People want to be rich. They will not be rich. Giving all the wealth in the US to two or three overlords is just going to make everyone else poor.

Bullshit. I have witnessed with my own eyes plenty of people go from rags to riches on there own brilliance and hardwork.

I intend to eventually be one.

Bullshit. I have witnessed with my own eyes plenty of people go from rags to riches on there own brilliance and hardwork.

I intend to eventually be one.

When you are seventy? Maybe?

Here's a clue. Half of all men think they will eventually be a millionaire. About 1% will get there. It is delusional.

It is not like by ensuring our economy has a stable and healthy base we will be destroying wealth. It is not like by ensuring everyone equal access to healthcare we will be destroying wealth. I oppose wealth redistribution only where it destroys an unreasonable amount of wealth.

Back