Louisiana Enacts Law Non-Corn Biofuel Industry

Topspin

Verified User
Louisiana Enacts Law to Create Non-Corn Biofuel Industry; Pilot Programs for Mid-Range Ethanol Blends and Hydrous Ethanol
24 June 2008
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal signed into law the Advanced Biofuel Industry Development Initiative (HB 1270), an act intended to support the development of a statewide advanced biofuel industry.

Louisiana is now the first state to enact alternative transportation fuel legislation that includes a variable blending pump pilot program with mid-range blends (blends of E10, E20, E30 and E85) and a pilot program for the use of hydrous ethanol.

Supported feedstock in the program is to be other than corn, derived from Louisiana-harvested crops, and be capable of an annual yield of at least 600 gallons per acre. The biofuel crop must:

Require no more than one-half of the water required by corn;

Be tolerant to high temperature and waterlogging;

Be resistant to drought and saline-alkaline soils;

Be capable of being grown in marginal soils, ranging from heavy clay to light sand;

Require no more than one-third of the nitrogen required to grow corn, thereby reducing the risk of contamination of the waters of the state; and

Require no more than one-half of the energy necessary to convert corn into ethanol.

The law supports a decentralized network of small advanced biofuel manufacturing facilities of between 5-15 million gallons per year.

In a trial program that runs until 1 January 2012, variable blending pumps, directly installed and operated at local gas stations by a qualified small advanced biofuel manufacturing facility, will offer the consumer a less expensive substitute for unleaded gasoline in the form of E10, E20, E30 and E85 blends of conventional fuel-grade anhydrous ethanol.

The state is also testing the use of hydrous ethanol blends of E10, E20, E30 and E85 in motor vehicles specifically selected for test purposes until 1 January 2012. During this period the Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry Division of Weights & Measures will monitor the performance of the motor vehicles. The hydrous blends will be tested for blend optimization with respect to fuel consumption and engine emissions.

Preliminary tests conducted in Europe have proven that the use of hydrous ethanol, which eliminates the need for the hydrous-to-anhydrous dehydration processing step, results in an energy savings of between ten percent and forty-five percent during processing, a four percent product volume increase, higher mileage per gallon, a cleaner engine interior, and a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.

The Advanced Biofuel Industry Development Initiative was drafted by Renergie, Inc. and was co-authored by 27 members of the Legislature. Renergie was formed in March 2006 to develop, construct, own and operate a network of ten ethanol plants in the parishes of the State of Louisiana which were devastated by hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Each ethanol plant will have a production capacity of five million gallons per year (5 MGY) of fuel-grade ethanol. Renergie’s field-to-pump strategy is to produce non-corn ethanol locally and directly market non-corn ethanol locally.

In February, Renergie was one of 8 recipients, selected from 139 grant applicants, to share $12.5 million from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s Renewable Energy Technologies Grants Program. (Earlier post.) Renergie received $1,500,483 (partial funding) in grant money to design and build Florida’s first ethanol plant capable of producing fuel-grade ethanol solely from sweet sorghum juice.

hey damo I made the post showing La leading the way in economical ethonal.
Suprised supercoldcaller didn't chime in.

hey damo I made the post showing La leading the way in economical ethonal.
Suprised supercoldcaller didn't chime in.

Sorry Toppy, you are hardly leading the way.... CSU has been working on a great biofuel alternative for a few years now. They are ready to begin installation and theirs not only meets your states requirements, but beats them. Far more efficient than the stalks etc...

Forward this to your state reps....

http://www.solixbiofuels.com/

Not sure if any water sources down there have algae problems... but if so, this adds yet another benefit.

Check it out.

"Algae production does not compete with agriculture. Algae production facilities are closed and do not require soil for growth, use 99% less water than conventional agriculture, and can be located on non-agricultural land far from water. Since the whole organism converts sunlight into oil, algae can produce more oil in an area the size of a two-car garage than an entire football field of soybeans."

No nitrogen. No soil needed. Can essentially be located anywhere.

"Algae’s single-celled structure is extremely efficient in use of light and absorption of nutrients. So much so, that algae’s growth and productivity is 30 to 100 times higher than crops like soybeans."

More efficient than crops (which yes, I know is not the focus of this thread, but good food for thought.... pardon the pun)

"Algae thrive on a high concentration of carbon dioxide. And nitrogen dioxide (NO2), a pollutant of power plants, is a nutrient for the algae. Algae production facilities can thus be fed exhaust gases from fossil fuel power plants, and even breweries, to significantly increase productivity and clean up the air."

AND it can clean pollutants out of the air.

*note... they put "even breweries" in that statement because New Belgium brewery is going to have a small scale version of this system to do just that.

Nice a little science project for the local junior college.
La is building plants buddy

Dipshit.... CSU has had their test plant up and running for a couple of years. Solix is putting up a small scale plant at New Belgium and they are also raising capital to build full scale plants elsewhere.

It is also far superior to using stalk at every level. It is more efficient, uses NO nitrogen, uses 99% less water, does not need to use crop land, can reduce emissions from coal plants etc... and provides a food source for livestock.

While this was indeed a research project as they developed the system, there is a reason they spun it into a corporation moron. It is ready to go.... NOW.

you colorodo tools go ahead with your school test, hope you get a good grade.
We're doing commercial plants.

you colorodo tools go ahead with your school test, hope you get a good grade.
We're doing commercial plants.

My god you are an idiot. What part of the fact that they are ramping up production do you not comprehend toppy? Are you just embarrassed again? I understand it must suck for you getting schooled time and time again by people on this board. Just because you lack the education to comprehend anything that a part of your daily brainwashing doesn't mean other technology is imaginary.

I also could have sworn you are the very one that said cellulosic production wasn't anywhere close to happening.... yet here you are NOW harping how it is about to happen in your state. Yet one more example of how much you should stress to your school that they should return your money that you gave them for your MBA guru master status. Because you are far too ignorant to have actually benefitted from their program.

supertool ramping up production in a science project school plant is a long way from a commercial enterprise. Maybe you miss that in your busy cold calling days. your fucking pissant education pails my fried so don't bother.

supertool ramping up production in a science project school plant is a long way from a commercial enterprise. Maybe you miss that in your busy cold calling days. your fucking pissant education pails my fried so don't bother.

Again, you are a fucking moron as proven by your complete inability to read and comprehend.

You continue to attempt to demean their work because it once again goes against your preconceived "ideas" (and I use that term very loosely). Solix is a CORPORATION you moron. They are at the SAME EXACT STAGE in terms of development as your states attempts at biodiesel.... THEY ARE LOOKING TO BUILD PLANTS. THEY ARE READY TO BUILD PLANTS.

Tell me toppy.... how is that ANY different than your state? Are your state's plants up and running right now? No. They are not. They are simply planning to build them.

AS I stated, not too long ago you were telling the board what morons we were for suggesting the use of cellulosic ethanol production because 'no one was doing it and EVERYONE was using corn' and then going off on your usual moronic "you ged blah blah blah" crap. NOW you are trying to demean yet another source of biodiesel because it isn't what your state is doing.

After years of your stupidity, there can be no other conclusion but to say that you either do not really have an MBA education (or even a fifth grade education) OR your teachers and professors just let you pass so they would no longer have to deal with such a moron.

LOFL dude I'm yanking your chain. I thought you'd be happy to see Louisiana doing a good effort at non corn ethonal.
I have no clue of the volumes coming from the Colorodo plant but am happy they are doing that work and I trust everything you said there is true.

Back