Magic: "The Gathering"

Cypress

JD Vance is a bad nerd
The GOP vice presidential nominee says he’s ditched “Magic: The Gathering.” But it’s not liking the card game or “The Lord of the Rings” that makes him weird.

Since former President Donald Trump tapped him to be his running mate, Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, has become the poster child for the Democrats’ new favorite word — “weird” — as his stiff demeanor and atrocious policy beliefs have been placed center stage. It’s in this harsh spotlight another of Vance’s traits has come to the forefront: He’s a big ol’ nerd. There have been pieces written about his devotion to the classic fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings” and the way it’s shaped his worldview. More recently, he and his wife, Usha Vance, gave interviews talking about his time playing “Magic: The Gathering,” a card game that draws heavily on fantasy tropes.

I want to underscore that these two descriptors — “weird” and “nerd” — are not synonymous. As a card-carrying nerd myself, I would have to say that Vance’s love of stereotypically geeky interests has nothing to do with his creepy tendencies. If anything, he has shown himself to be the worst kind of nerd, one who reinforces the toxic masculinity that was at one point inseparable from overarching geekdom. It is to Vance’s discredit that he will likely be unable to see how deeply his rejection of all things “woke” isolates him from a community that has come to embrace the “good weird” that doesn’t fit into his homogenized vision of America.

continued

GUyrNkfXEAAaKLd

JD Vance is a bad nerd
The GOP vice presidential nominee says he’s ditched “Magic: The Gathering.” But it’s not liking the card game or “The Lord of the Rings” that makes him weird.

Since former President Donald Trump tapped him to be his running mate, Sen. JD Vance, R-Ohio, has become the poster child for the Democrats’ new favorite word — “weird” — as his stiff demeanor and atrocious policy beliefs have been placed center stage. It’s in this harsh spotlight another of Vance’s traits has come to the forefront: He’s a big ol’ nerd. There have been pieces written about his devotion to the classic fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings” and the way it’s shaped his worldview. More recently, he and his wife, Usha Vance, gave interviews talking about his time playing “Magic: The Gathering,” a card game that draws heavily on fantasy tropes.

I want to underscore that these two descriptors — “weird” and “nerd” — are not synonymous. As a card-carrying nerd myself, I would have to say that Vance’s love of stereotypically geeky interests has nothing to do with his creepy tendencies. If anything, he has shown himself to be the worst kind of nerd, one who reinforces the toxic masculinity that was at one point inseparable from overarching geekdom. It is to Vance’s discredit that he will likely be unable to see how deeply his rejection of all things “woke” isolates him from a community that has come to embrace the “good weird” that doesn’t fit into his homogenized vision of America.

continued

GUyrNkfXEAAaKLd
He's just another whiny incel.

Hell if he leaned into the fact that he plays magic I'd like him more. I played early in high school. I'd walk to the card/comic shop down the street from my house on Sundays and get in some games. That lasted until one day I kind of looked around the room and said to myself "I think I'd rather have sex at some point".

So I quit it for 10+ years, until a girlfriend at the time who was still into Pokemon wanted to learn how to play. So we made a late night trip to Walmart, picked up a couple starter decks and had a blast. Been playing off and on again ever since. Women actually enjoy the REAL nerd shit now, as long as you don't actively work to exclude them.

Take a look at pathetic right wing grifter wannabe The Quartering aka Jeremy Hambly. This fatso chud used to be an MtG YouTuber until he harassed women for wanting to be in the same space, including getting his incel fans to harass a cosplayer. He got banned by Wizards of the Coast (magic and D&D parent company) from ever coming to an official event again, and then began his hilariously bad attempt at being a conservative online personality.

Last edited:
Hell if he leaned into the fact that he plays magic I'd like him more. I played early in high school. I'd walk to the card/comic shop down the street from my house on Sundays and get in some games. That lasted until one day I kind of looked around the room and said to myself "I think I'd rather have sex at some point".

So I quit it for 10+ years, until a girlfriend at the time who was still into Pokemon wanted to learn how to play. So we made a late night trip to Walmart, picked up a couple starter decks and had a blast. Been playing off and on again ever since. Women actually enjoy the REAL nerd shit now, as long as you don't actively work to exclude them.

Take a look at pathetic right wing grifter wannabe The Quartering aka Jeremy Hambly. This fatso chud used to be an MtG YouTuber until he harassed women for wanting to be in the same space, including getting his incel fans to harass a cosplayer. He got banned by Wizards of the Coast (magic and D&D parent company) from ever coming to an official event again, and then began his hilariously bad attempt at being a conservative online personality.
As the article says, there is a difference between a nerd and a weirdo

Back