Maligning Mexico for the Salmonella Outbreak

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/12/salmonella.tomatoes/index.html#cnnSTCText

My rant on Salmonella:

I was listening to CSPAN this morning and they had an FDA official answering questions. You wouldn't believe how many people were all about blaming Mexico and were so concerned with the fact that they we have to make sure the products from Mexico were safe. One lady even tried to pin the spinach outbreak on Mexico. I just so suprised more callers weren't talking about a comprehensive solution considering food in the US is prone to this as well.

I think I'm more afraid of some of the solutions they came up with for Salmonella than I am the actual disease itself. A few days you're on your A, its out of your system or you cook your vegetables and you're safe, but yesterday I heard another FDA official talk about genetically modified vegetables and more chemicals and more food processing in general. Given the statistics 223 (that haven't even died), I'll take my chances with Salmonella.

One lady even tried to pin the spinach outbreak on Mexico

That spinach sh*t happened in california.

I think the answer is to unleash the power of the free market, and have less food inspectors, and less regulation of food processing and agricultural practices.

I think the answer is to unleash the power of the free market, and have less food inspectors, and less regulation of food processing and agricultural practices.

haha!

They bought up Grover Norquist too and basically said that free market crap is just that: crap when it comes to ensuring the safety of our food supply.

I think many people blame those who are picking the crop for not properly washing. Yes, unrealistic as well. It came from the water they used for the crops. But people are generally dumb.

I think many people blame those who are picking the crop for not properly washing. Yes, unrealistic as well. It came from the water they used for the crops. But people are generally dumb.

I don't know if I'm just being ridiculous, but I just don't think its that pressing. I'd rather them focus on the processed foods and drugs coming out of China.

I don't know if I'm just being ridiculous, but I just don't think its that pressing. I'd rather them focus on the processed foods and drugs coming out of China.
I agree. A bit of diarrhea? I think I'll be okay.

Well, that's reassuring that I'm not being unreasonable with my apathy toward the salmonella scare.

The scary thing is our govt watchdogs still don't seem to have a clue where the problem is coming from.
All human consumables should be back traceable to the source.

The scary thing is our govt watchdogs still don't seem to have a clue where the problem is coming from.
All human consumables should be back traceable to the source.

I agree; that's the real problem, and should be the focus of the agencies involved, to correct this.

Remember how the republicans fought against and killed the requirement for country of origon for food stuffs ?

Remember how the republicans fought against and killed the requirement for country of origon for food stuffs ?

That's back on the table now (oops no pun intended, honest!) and at least in our local supermarkets, origin (country or state) is usually clearly noted. People just weren't buying certain goods without knowing their origin.

That's back on the table now (oops no pun intended, honest!) and at least in our local supermarkets, origin (country or state) is usually clearly noted. People just weren't buying certain goods without knowing their origin.

Yeah but voluntary does not cut is as we have seen.

Back