Manhatten just had its second deadly crane accident in 2 months

evince

Truthmatters
It the same crap of lack of oversight and not policing an industry.

Tax cuts can kill people folks.

Listen little boy its the truth.

I have just been listening to the news hearing people who live in the area tell the news that they had been complaining about how the god damned thing looked. Joe doaks could look at it and see something was wrong. No one ever returned their calls.

When you cut taxes you take money out of the system to pay for inspectors. This is what little boys like you who can see no big picture ever because they are just to damn young to understand how interconected life is. Some your age have creative enough minds to connect all the dots. Maybe someday you will figure it out.

I got the same reaction from people when the bridge collapsed last year. It turned out it did have to do with funding and taxes.

Desh - as an FYI - NYC is having an unprecedented bull real estate building market. Their are more cranes then i have ever scene in my life down there over the past year.

Their is no recession in Manhattan, only opportunity.

But this could be why your seeing more accidents.

Its not just New York.

There have been a plethora of crane accident all over the nation.

Its been like the last two years I have been hearing about more than I remember in my entire life. Someone somewhere is deregulating this field and I think I remember OSHA fighting this.

http://www.craneaccidents.com/stats.htm

hmmm this site seems to think even OSHA is dragging its feet.

Last edited:
The issue is not so much inspectors as it is the light slap that fines from OSHA make up.

Currently the top fine for a single issue is $70,000. Unless a criminal conviction is obtained, companies have often decided that its cheaper to risk paying the fine. Add in the huge bonuses often available for bringing in a project on time, and you have a recipe for disastor.

If there is a complaint to OSHA and its life threatening, there will be an inspector on site within 24 hours. The problem is that workers are no more interested in job safety than many companies are. I fight that mindset on a daily basis.

Crane work has a huge number of regulations. But most of them involve training and rigging that are not commonly visible to casual inspection. So they can get away with a lot.

OSHA has pushed its focus towards trenching & excavation, and made that a top priority. Consequently, although it seems the other areas have suffered, there has been a marked drop in both fatalities overall and in excavation work. Excavations are some of the most deadly work zones. Other areas have more accidents, but none have the fatality rate that excavations do.

Also, there are more OSHA inspectors now than there ever have been. Tax cuts or not, there have been additional inspectors added most years. But its still up to the companies to make sure they have a safe work site.

The best thing that could be done would be to make a multi-tiered fine system. Huge companies should be fined on a much larger scale, to make it punishment. But small companies should not be put out of business for recordkeeping errors.

Its not just the number of inspectors its the number of inspectors in relation to the amount of job sites.

You should like you are in the industry, is that true?

Desh - as an FYI - NYC is having an unprecedented bull real estate building market. Their are more cranes then i have ever scene in my life down there over the past year.

Their is no recession in Manhattan, only opportunity.

But this could be why your seeing more accidents.

There will soon be more my friend. We are tearing down an old office building on church street and putting up a hotel/condo building in its place. I'm helping with the underwriting. I'm going to put less money in the hard costs to make sure we get old and crappy cranes.

I am the safety director for a utility construction company. We build fiber optic & cable systems for the telecomm industry.

The number of inspectors will never be high enough for constructions sites to actually expect to see an inspector. When you factor in the number of industrial plants, construction sites, and manufacturing facilities there are in the USA, to have an inspector spend one day at each location would require an astronomical number of inspectors. And only one day out of 365 doesn't cover much.

I really wish the Democrats would run "Tax cuts kill" as their slogan this year.

See how that works out for them.

Back