May 4th, 1970 - Kent State

Crashk

Unite or Die
42 yrs ago today the American govt. proved once and for all that they would kill anyone who stood against them. It practically ended all demonstrations against the Vietnam war. But it started a change in the way middle America (Nixon's silent majority) thought about the illegal war and eventually, along with the oil imbargo, was the reason we left Vietnam to the communists . The murderers were never brought to justice.

I remember this day every year and hope that this country has learned not to kill it's own children for greed, power and ideology. I know it's a lot to ask but I do it anyway.

http://www.may4.org/information/kent-state-1970-description-of-events-may-1-through-may-4.html

42 yrs ago today the American govt. proved once and for all that they would kill anyone who stood against them. It practically ended all demonstrations against the Vietnam war. But it started a change in the way middle America (Nixon's silent majority) thought about the illegal war and eventually, along with the oil imbargo, was the reason we left Vietnam to the communists . The murderers were never brought to justice.

I remember this day every year and hope that this country has learned not to kill it's own children for greed, power and ideology. I know it's a lot to ask but I do it anyway.

http://www.may4.org/information/kent-state-1970-description-of-events-may-1-through-may-4.html

Thanks for remembering! Terrible day in our history.

"like when the Romans conquered the villages in the Mediterranean. They'd go into little villages in Turkish towns and they'd find the first five guys they saw and crucify them."

history repeats itself often, yet most people are too apathetic to keep any real change.

Thanks for remembering! Terrible day in our history.

I have a hard time forgetting this sad day, I was face down in the dirt behind a tree with bullets whizzing.

My girlfriend, no we're not married yet, and I support the Occupy Movement when we can and when we go I wear my Kent State shirt just to remind everyone what will happen when the govt. gets out of control. Pretty funny tho, an old geezer like me wearing a Kent State jersey but I believe it's an important reminder.

Last edited:
I have a hard time forgetting this sad day, I was face down in the dirt behind a tree with bullets whizzing.

My girlfriend, no we're not married yet, and we support the Occupy Movement when we can and when we go I wear my Kent State shirt just to remind everyone what will happen when the govt. gets out of control. Pretty funny tho, an old geezer like me wearing a Kent State jersey but I believe it's an important reminder.

Oh, my goodness, I have never spoken to anyone who was there! I remember seeing it on TV and crying. I kept thinking, this can't be my country, this can't happening in the USA!

It must have been worse for you...

I lived in a dorm and was there all weekend. All I really wanted to do was finish my homework then go to the bar and see Joe Walsh play but there was too much going on. Got tear gassed twice in my dorm on sat and sunday and all day monday. Was impossible to work and even sleep at times. Being a gun owner I respected long lines of masked men with rifles and bayonets so I kept my distance and positioned myself to their flank. When they fired I was 50 yds away to their right at the bottom of the hill. As soon as the firing stopped and I saw them retreat behind the hill I ran to the 1st body, the one with the girl in the youtube vid, I was there and gone over the hill before the photo was taken. There was someone there taking his pulse and yelling, so I moved on. I always felt guilty for not helping more but he was dead, looked like a big hole in his throat. The student body assembled on one side of the hill and the Guard on the other side pointing rifles at us, the kid with the flag was at this point. If they hadn't acted quickly and closed the school and talked about a lock down in a few hrs. there would have been more bloodshed, I believe there would have been a lot more than 4 dead.

What better way for the govt. to stop dissension on college campuses than to show that you are not afraid to kill a few just as a warning.

The weirdest thing that happened was the ride home with my mother and a friend of hers. Both folkies from the 50's, anti-war, very much Kennedy liberal democrats. I had no car and she came to get me and 2 friends. The 1st she heard about it on the local news was that students had attacked the Guard and killed one of them, that the students were rioting and destroying the campus, that 'outside communist agitators' were whipping up anti-American violence. I explained that that was all bullshit and tried to explain what my buddies and I had just witnessed. The amazing thing to me was the first impression she got from the tube and radio was so strong it took yrs for her to get it straight. I began to understand the power of propaganda and have tried to see it and study it ever since.

I lived in a dorm and was there all weekend. All I really wanted to do was finish my homework then go to the bar and see Joe Walsh play but there was too much going on. Got tear gassed twice in my dorm on sat and sunday and all day monday. Was impossible to work and even sleep at times. Being a gun owner I respected long lines of masked men with rifles and bayonets so I kept my distance and positioned myself to their flank. When they fired I was 50 yds away to their right at the bottom of the hill. As soon as the firing stopped and I saw them retreat behind the hill I ran to the 1st body, the one with the girl in the youtube vid, I was there and gone over the hill before the photo was taken. There was someone there taking his pulse and yelling, so I moved on. I always felt guilty for not helping more but he was dead, looked like a big hole in his throat. The student body assembled on one side of the hill and the Guard on the other side pointing rifles at us, the kid with the flag was at this point. If they hadn't acted quickly and closed the school and talked about a lock down in a few hrs. there would have been more bloodshed, I believe there would have been a lot more than 4 dead.

What better way for the govt. to stop dissension on college campuses than to show that you are not afraid to kill a few just as a warning.

The weirdest thing that happened was the ride home with my mother and a friend of hers. Both folkies from the 50's, anti-war, very much Kennedy liberal democrats. I had no car and she came to get me and 2 friends. The 1st she heard about it on the local news was that students had attacked the Guard and killed one of them, that the students were rioting and destroying the campus, that 'outside communist agitators' were whipping up anti-American violence. I explained that that was all bullshit and tried to explain what my buddies and I had just witnessed. The amazing thing to me was the first impression she got from the tube and radio was so strong it took yrs for her to get it straight. I began to understand the power of propaganda and have tried to see it and study it ever since.

Amazing, thanks for sharing. Propaganda is powerful!

GO GUARD!!!

Was shooting craps in Laughlin a few yrs ago wearing a Kent Flashes shirt. The stick man said 'I thought they killed all you hippies and communists at Kent'. I looked at the pit boss and said 'out of all the games here I always though you needed brains to run a craps game, obviously I'm wrong' I picked up my chips and left. Same thing here. Ignorance knows no bounds.

Hey waterstain, go fuck yourself.

Was shooting craps in Laughlin a few yrs ago wearing a Kent Flashes shirt. The stick man said 'I thought they killed all you hippies and communists at Kent'. I looked at the pit boss and said 'out of all the games here I always though you needed brains to run a craps game, obviously I'm wrong' I picked up my chips and left. Same thing here. Ignorance knows no bounds.

Hey waterstain, go fuck yourself.

It was 3-D. My wife's sister was at Kent State.

Wow that is a powerful account.

I would have been pissed had I been at Kent, or any such campus that got shut down by rioters. All that tuition flushed down the toilet. Also, it wasn't incidents such as this that killed the student protest movement - it was the ending of the draft.

I would have been pissed had I been at Kent, or any such campus that got shut down by rioters. All that tuition flushed down the toilet. Also, it wasn't incidents such as this that killed the student protest movement - it was the ending of the draft.

Yeah, 'cause you were there and all.

Yeah, man, I was there and got way high and all!!

I just have too much respect for other people's property and access to education to condone bullshit rioting such as that.

I just have too much respect for life to condone murder of people exercising their civil rights is all. The future is truly lost.

My girlfriend, no we're not married yet, and I support the Occupy Movement when we can and when we go I wear my Kent State shirt just to remind everyone what will happen when the govt. gets out of control. Pretty funny tho, an old geezer like me wearing a Kent State jersey but I believe it's an important reminder.

Oh my, how awful. Something this traumatic would be hard to get past, ever.

Back