McCain arrives in Baghdad

this is a good metaphor, for they absolute lies and hype about us being greeted as "liberators", and the fairy tales about our beloved and noble occupation in iraq.

Bush and McCain have to show up in iraq completely unannounced and by surprise, and sneak around wearing a flak jackets.

The president of Iran comes over in a fully and publically announced visit, gets the red carpet treatment, and strolls around baghdad in comfort.

what's wrong with that picture.

Even back in Bosnia (pre 9/11) during our more popular "Peace Keeping" mission, VIP visits were often secretive. It is not unique to Iraq. I wouldn't read much into it. I do agree that Iraq is still a very dangerous place.

Whether we should have or not, we did take on the tough task of Nation Building. It isn't easy and progress can be slow. We have made mistakes. But having walked Iraqi streets in downtown Baghdad and elsewhere I hope we stay until the job is done or Iraq asks us to leave.

I truly fear that leaving too early would not only compound our earlier mistakes, but would result in more suffering and bloodshed of Iraqi citizens. Making a mess was easy. How we clean it up is much more complex.

The next President and Congress will make the toughest decisions on Iraq. Our Military Forces will support those decisions. It is what we do.

Even back in Bosnia (pre 9/11) during our more popular "Peace Keeping" mission, VIP visits were often secretive. It is not unique to Iraq. I wouldn't read much into it. I do agree that Iraq is still a very dangerous place.

Whether we should have or not, we did take on the tough task of Nation Building. It isn't easy and progress can be slow. We have made mistakes. But having walked Iraqi streets in downtown Baghdad and elsewhere I hope we stay until the job is done or Iraq asks us to leave.

I truly fear that leaving too early would not only compound our earlier mistakes, but would result in more suffering and bloodshed of Iraqi citizens. Making a mess was easy. How we clean it up is much more complex.

The next President and Congress will make the toughest decisions on Iraq. Our Military Forces will support those decisions. It is what we do.

I know, sir and at times it has to be hell. Think peace! We need to share the responsibilities of policing the world and nation building. The world is a small place now. Information is instantaneous. We are not alone, nor can we go it alone. We need to rebuild our own nation, then we can start helping other countries who ask.

Back