McCain believes Iraq war can be won by 2013

uscitizen

Villified User

May 15, 9:18 PM (ET)

By GLEN JOHNSON

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Republican John McCain declared for the first time Thursday he believes the Iraq war can be won by 2013, although he rejected suggestions that his talk of a timetable put him on the same side as Democrats clamoring for full-scale troop withdrawals.

The Republican presidential contender, in a mystical speech that also envisioned Osama bin Laden dead or captured, and Americans with the choice of paying a simple flat tax or following their standard 1040 form, said only a small number of troops would remain in Iraq by the end of a prospective first term because al-Qaida will have been defeated and Iraq's government will be functioning on its own.

"By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom. The Iraq War has been won," McCain told an audience of several hundred here in the capital city of a general election battleground state.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080516/D90ME3G80.html

May 15, 9:18 PM (ET)

By GLEN JOHNSON

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Republican John McCain declared for the first time Thursday he believes the Iraq war can be won by 2013, although he rejected suggestions that his talk of a timetable put him on the same side as Democrats clamoring for full-scale troop withdrawals.

The Republican presidential contender, in a mystical speech that also envisioned Osama bin Laden dead or captured, and Americans with the choice of paying a simple flat tax or following their standard 1040 form, said only a small number of troops would remain in Iraq by the end of a prospective first term because al-Qaida will have been defeated and Iraq's government will be functioning on its own.

"By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom. The Iraq War has been won," McCain told an audience of several hundred here in the capital city of a general election battleground state.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080516/D90ME3G80.html

Actually, he claims to "hope" that the majority of troops can be home by 2013. I don't know that he actually believes it.

I realized last night (probably because I haven't thought much about it before), watching clips of him speak, that this man really has no leadership qualities at all, no abilities that would befit him for the office of the presidency. It appalls me that a major party is even contemplating putting an individual such as this up for the highest office in the land. Never mind that they don't have a hope of winning in any event.

Back