McCain's Phil Gramm problem just keeps growing

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
There is a ticking time bomb in the John McCain campaign and the sooner that Barack Obama can turn his full attention to exploiting it the bigger and consequential the explosion should be for this phony maverick.

The presumptive Republican nominee supposedly swore off lobbyists after the Keating Five scandal nearly destroyed his political career, but they continue to have him by the short and curlies.

Phil Gramm, who is co-chair of McCain’s campaign, is not just another lobbyist. He is the man most responsible for the repeal of Depression-era banking regulations that have led directly and inextricably to much of today’s economic turmoil, and parlayed that classic example of legislative legerdemain into a lucrative lobbying career for the very people who scratched the smug Texan’s back — as well as McCain’s — on Capitol Hill.

Gramm was the biggest of the big guns behind the 1999 repeal of the banking regulations — the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act — which was officially called The Financial Services Modernization Act. (Don’t you just love the name!)
Passage of the law was greased with an astonishing $300 million in lobbying money, and it encountered little opposition other than from those old-fashioned banks that actually insure your deposits, while receiving the enthusiastic blessing of the Bill and Hillary Clinton co-presidency. And you had better believe that the so hands-on First Lady was all for it.

One of many consequences of the repeal was that a year later the Swiss bank UBS gobbled up brokerage house Paine Weber. A year after that, Gramm settled in as a vice chairman of UBS’s new investment banking arm and has since energetically lobbied Congress, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department on banking and mortgage issues.

In 2002, as the full extent of the Enron scandal was emerging, The New York Times called Gramm “a demon for deregulation” as one of the chief engineers of the stealthy approval of a bill that exempted energy commodity trading from government regulation and public disclosure.

Meanwhile, Gramm’s wife Wendy was paid over $1 million in salary, stock options, dividends and other goodies from 1993 to 2001 as an Enron board member, but of course was deaf, dumb and blind to the energy company’s rampant cooking its books with the acquiescence of the late unlamented Arthur Andersen accounting company.

--- more at link

http://themoderatevoice.com/politics/bill-clinton/18787/phil-gramm-mccains-terrorist-in-pinstripes/

As if that isn't bad enough, now it's been discovered that Gramm had connections to banks funding terrorists and blocked legislation that demanded full investigations of those banks, before and after 9/11.

The Financial Services Modernization Act. (Don’t you just love the name!)
//

anytime a bill has a good sounding name, bend over it is coming.

***KGB Alert****

There is a ticking time bomb in the John McCain campaign and the sooner that Barack Obama can turn his full attention to exploiting it the bigger and consequential the explosion should be for this phony maverick.

The presumptive Republican nominee supposedly swore off lobbyists after the Keating Five scandal nearly destroyed his political career, but they continue to have him by the short and curlies.

Phil Gramm, who is co-chair of McCain’s campaign, is not just another lobbyist. He is the man most responsible for the repeal of Depression-era banking regulations that have led directly and inextricably to much of today’s economic turmoil, and parlayed that classic example of legislative legerdemain into a lucrative lobbying career for the very people who scratched the smug Texan’s back — as well as McCain’s — on Capitol Hill.

Gramm was the biggest of the big guns behind the 1999 repeal of the banking regulations — the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act — which was officially called The Financial Services Modernization Act. (Don’t you just love the name!)
Passage of the law was greased with an astonishing $300 million in lobbying money, and it encountered little opposition other than from those old-fashioned banks that actually insure your deposits, while receiving the enthusiastic blessing of the Bill and Hillary Clinton co-presidency. And you had better believe that the so hands-on First Lady was all for it.

One of many consequences of the repeal was that a year later the Swiss bank UBS gobbled up brokerage house Paine Weber. A year after that, Gramm settled in as a vice chairman of UBS’s new investment banking arm and has since energetically lobbied Congress, the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department on banking and mortgage issues.

In 2002, as the full extent of the Enron scandal was emerging, The New York Times called Gramm “a demon for deregulation” as one of the chief engineers of the stealthy approval of a bill that exempted energy commodity trading from government regulation and public disclosure.

Meanwhile, Gramm’s wife Wendy was paid over $1 million in salary, stock options, dividends and other goodies from 1993 to 2001 as an Enron board member, but of course was deaf, dumb and blind to the energy company’s rampant cooking its books with the acquiescence of the late unlamented Arthur Andersen accounting company.

--- more at link

http://themoderatevoice.com/politics/bill-clinton/18787/phil-gramm-mccains-terrorist-in-pinstripes/

As if that isn't bad enough, now it's been discovered that Gramm had connections to banks funding terrorists and blocked legislation that demanded full investigations of those banks, before and after 9/11.

The mis-information mistro is at it again!:rolleyes:

LMAO, he was also the co-sponsor of Gramm-Rudman, a bill which requires the federal budget to be balanced. Not to mention, Gramm was the one-time Republican front-runner for the party nomination and convention keynote speaker. From a political policy standpoint, he is about as much like Ronald Reagan as anyone currently in the Republican party. I guess he does scare the shit outta you guys.

LOL...........

LMAO, he was also the co-sponsor of Gramm-Rudman, a bill which requires the federal budget to be balanced. Not to mention, Gramm was the one-time Republican front-runner for the party nomination and convention keynote speaker. From a political policy standpoint, he is about as much like Ronald Reagan as anyone currently in the Republican party. I guess he does scare the shit outta you guys.

Of course he scares the caca out of them...Like Ronnie said...'There you go again' and 'Tear down that wall Mr.Gorbachav!' :cof1:

--- more at link

Wow. I remember this guy from the 92 R convention, the first time I ever saw him. And I never forgot him. Unbelievable how dirty these people are.

Wow. I remember this guy from the 92 R convention, the first time I ever saw him. And I never forgot him. Unbelievable how dirty these people are.

McCain knows how explosive this is going to be, but he can't get rid of Gramm. They've been in bed together a long time.

I remember Gramm pretty well; he was a total goofball, but full of himself. I think Dixie's right - he was a frontrunner for Pres for about a month or so, there. They sure know how to pick 'em.

I'm starting to really look forward to this campaign. That didn't take long...

I remember Gramm pretty well; he was a total goofball, but full of himself. I think Dixie's right - he was a frontrunner for Pres for about a month or so, there. They sure know how to pick 'em.

I'm starting to really look forward to this campaign. That didn't take long...

I remember him because, first of all that was a very ugly convention. That's when I saw what Republicans were and it's when I first became politically aware. And he was just so irritating because he kept saying "is this the change we woooonnnnt" in some sort of skin-crawling drawl. I just wanted to hit him. I know I seem very violent, but it's just fantasies...mostly.

You think the American people are OK with McCain, who admittedly has limited knowledge of the economy, outsourcing his economic policy to a lobbyist for an investment bank firm at the heart of the subprime mortgage scandal and that has advised it's foreign officers not to go to the United States for fear of prosecution

Frightening stuff. Really.

Banking on Secrecy

-- excerpt

"Just days prior to Summers' announcement that he was cracking down on the OECD's tax havens, Dennis Nixon, chairman of the International Bank of Commerce in Laredo, gave $20,000 to the Republican National Committee. Already a Bush Pioneer, who had raised at least $100,000 for the primaries, Nixon gave the R.N.C. another $100,000 as the post-election contest for Florida ballots began. Summers' bill passed the House Banking Committee 31 to 1 in July 2000, but it got no further. Republican Senator Phil Gramm of Texas, chairman of the Senate Banking Committee, refused to let it come up for a vote in his committee. In August, Stanford Financial gave $40,000 to the Republican Senate campaign committee. Gramm lost his post this summer, when the Democrats retook the Senate."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,179467-2,00.html

No LANDSLIDE?

no this is just funny, seriously Phil Gram, evil? lol.

Not evil. He just has the best interest of his lobbyist clients at heart, not the best interests of the American people. Maybe you think that is just fine and dandy, but putting him in a position of control over the economic policy of a president that doesn't know squat about the economy is a dangerous game indeed.

I just thought I would update this thread. Keep in mind that Gramm was a lobbyist for UBS and is still Vice Chairman of UBS:

One afternoon in April, six dozen wealthy Americans were entertained at a luncheon party in Midtown Manhattan, along with a special guest from Paris: Henri Loyrette, the director of the Louvre.

The host of the exclusive gathering was the Swiss bank UBS, whose elite private bankers built a lucrative business in recent years by discreetly tending the fortunes of American millionaires and billionaires. As the wine flowed and Mr. Loyrette spoke of the glories of France, UBS bankers courted their affluent guests.

But now, as the federal authorities intensify an investigation into offshore bank accounts, the secrets of this rarefied world are being dragged into the open — and UBS’s privileged clients are running scared.

Under pressure from the authorities, UBS is considering whether to divulge the names of up to 20,000 of its well-heeled American clients, according to people close to the inquiry, a step that would have once been unthinkable to Swiss bankers, whose traditions of secrecy date to the Middle Ages.

Federal investigators believe some of the clients may have used offshore accounts at UBS to hide as much as $20 billion in assets from the Internal Revenue Service. Doing so may have enabled these people to dodge at least $300 million in federal taxes on income from those assets, according to a government official connected with the investigation.

One prominent UBS client, a wealthy property developer in California named Igor Olenicoff, has already pleaded guilty to filing a false 2002 tax return. But as the investigation tears holes in the veil of secrecy surrounding tax havens like Switzerland and Liechtenstein, other names are surfacing, according to the authorities.

New revelations are likely to come Monday, when a former UBS banker is expected to testify in a court in Florida about how he helped Mr. Olenicoff and other clients evade taxes. The former banker, Bradley Birkenfeld, is set to plead guilty to helping Mr. Olenicoff conceal $200 million.

“He’s going to sing like a parakeet,” one of Mr. Birkenfeld’s former clients said.

UBS said that it was cooperating with investigators and that it was against its policy to help Americans evade taxes. Officials at the bank declined to comment for this article.

I'm sure the regular folks are going to be pleased as punch that McCain's economic advisor is Vice Chair of a bank that assists uberwealthy folks avoid paying taxes in violation of US law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/b...ess&adxnnlx=1212775465-bq0JEJ0qeMklk1t7rPzqvw

***KGB*** alert...!

I just thought I would update this thread. Keep in mind that Gramm was a lobbyist for UBS and is still Vice Chairman of UBS:

I'm sure the regular folks are going to be pleased as punch that McCain's economic advisor is Vice Chair of a bank that assists uberwealthy folks avoid paying taxes in violation of US law.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/b...ess&adxnnlx=1212775465-bq0JEJ0qeMklk1t7rPzqvw

Just more mis-information from the way far left!

Back