McGrandpa's generational gap

Cypress

I realize Cons get a chuckle, and give each other high fives when John McGrandpa compares Barack Obama to Jimmy Carter. Or to William Jennings Bryan.

Far be it from me to help republicans out of the electoral hole they are digging themselves. But, as a point of courtesy, I must point out that unhip Cons aren't understanding how lame this is; that this just continues to fuel the perception that John McGrandpa is an out of touch, wheel chair-bound decrepit fossil.

No average american voter under the age of 53 can relate to comparisons to Jimmy Carter. The comparison may seem hip and hilarious to partisan Cons. Average americans won't give a crap, and it won't sway one vote away from McGrandpa to Obama. Totally ineffective. (Chronological note - McGrandpa was 84 years old when Carter was elected President. Obama was 15 years old.)

William Jennings Bryan references are even more ridiculous. Do 98% of americans even know who he is? Bryan last ran for president in, what, 1908? i.e., the year John McCain came of voting age. Which, perhaps explains why McFossil seems to think William Jennings Bryan anecdotes are appropriate, effective, and hip.

Cultural advice -- Cons, to make your fossil look a little more "cutting edge", I suggest dropping the cultural references to 50-year old movies as well. It makes your fossil look totally old. McGrandpa released an attack commercial on Obama, which riffs off the James Bond movie "Dr. No"...which was released in theaters the year Obama was born (e.g., the year McCain evidently became eligible to collect social security). While I'm sure there's plenty of James Bond fans out there, I don't think gen X and gen Y are going to catch the cultural reference in a TV commerical that riffs off some movie that was released in 1962.

A final point of courtesy- It also behooves McGrandpa to learn what "the google" is.

Also, Cons - please get your fossil to address technology, the internet, and communications infrastructure as an important issue. Barack Obama's campaign website prominently addresses Technology as an issue, with a comprehensive regarding the internet, communications, and broadband. McGrandpa's website doesn't have a Technology link on their issues page, and although there appears to be some good information on 19th century issues like the gold standard, the internal combustion engine, and the evils of the gay lifestyle.

good luck

Back