Michigan GOP staying away from Trump

floridafan

Verified User
When Donald Trump makes a campaign stop in Michigan on Sunday he is not expected to be surrounded by Republican lawmakers from the state who are keeping their distance from the twice-indicted former president.

According to the Detroit News, the former president is making a major campaign stop where he will speak at the Oakland County Republican Party's Lincoln Day Dinner and the report states that there is a definite lack of enthusiasm for the Republican frontrunner for the 2024 presidential nomination.

The report notes, "Only a handful of the 72 Republicans who serve in the Michigan Legislature had publicly endorsed Trump's bid for another term as president by Thursday, a trend that highlights concerns among some GOP leaders in a state that once helped propel him to the White House."

Case in point is Rep. Ken Borton (R-Mich) who explained, "It's a hot-button issue in my district. I supported Trump the first time around. But I am going to stay out of it. Whoever the Republican candidate is who comes out of it, I'll be there for them 100%.

Rep. John Roth (R-Mich) is backing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and bluntly stated Trump's obsession with his 2020 re-election loss is a contributing factor.

“(If) we keep talking about 2020, we lose,” Roth explained. “It’s that simple. We have to go forward and look at the future.”

Rocky Raczkowski, a former state lawmaker, who chaired the Oakland County Republican Party during the 2020 and 2022 elections, explained that Trump has too much baggage to be effective as the 2024 presidential candidate.

"You would be a one-term president with a lot of arrows pointed your way," Raczkowski admitted. "And those arrows hurt our down-ballot candidates, and we need those down-ballot candidates to win races.”

He will only be a one term president which is why his VP pick will be so important

Yeah...sure. He will serve the term...and like the loyal, constitutional soul he is, will simply walk away...handing over the reins of government peacefully to whomever the electorate chooses to replace him.

What a sad end for the GOP...a once proud, contributing political party. Now...the morons of the MAGA movement have taken control...and they want the helm of the ship of state.

200w.gif

Back