MLK

cawacko

(I know people on this board were alive during MLK's life so I throw this out to you.)

I just finished reading a new biography on MLK by Jonathan Eig (It includes recently released info from the CIA and federal gov't who were tracking King so the book has an updated take in that regard.) Reading this really takes you back to a different time. Speaking of demographics, America was like 95% white and black during the 50's and 60's and of course heavily segregated in much of the country.

Some of the things that stood out:

- he raised a lot of money from people in the North (usually white liberals) to help fight Jim Crow and legal segregation in the South and received positive press coverage from Northern newspapers who showed the atrocities in the South garnering national support for change

- once he achieved some success in the South (with the passage of the civil rights bills) he turned his attention to the North (starting with Chicago); it was stated that the money from North (largely white liberals) started to dry up as they were good with donating when his actions were directed against the South but not so much in their own areas; this went the same for the Northern newspapers and their support for King

- after achieving a degree of success with the civil rights bills and knocking down Jim Crow, King struggled a bit finding his footing - clearly those bills alone didn't end segregation or the many problems black communities faced, but it was much easier to rally people against something so blatant

- King was one of the earliest opponents of the Vietnam War (at a time when many white and black people supported it); he received a lot of heat for it from both communities and many black people thought he was taking his eye off the civil rights fight by focusing on Vietnam

- I think it was 1966 when he went from being one of the most admired people in the country to not making the top ten; white people thought he was pushing too hard for change and causing problems and many black people started losing faith in him

- he continued to spend more time in the North (and places like Los Angeles) where they didn't have segregation codified into the laws like the South but racism was just as strong and they had de facto segregation

- he had to deal with the movement towards Black Power and those in the black community who where moving away from non violence into more militancy

- the CIA and the federal government obviously bugged/tracked everything he did and tried to use his womanizing against him

Clearly a lot more to the man and his life but for those who lived through this does this all ring a bell? Or do you have a different recollection?

I marched with Dr. King in Boston back in 1965,
but many of my fellow marchers held beliefs quite different from mine on specific issues.

I was merely showing my support for anti-racism in general rather than any specific proposed solutions--like school bussing, for example.

The above recollections match mine pretty well, actually.

(I know people on this board were alive during MLK's life so I throw this out to you.)

I just finished reading a new biography on MLK by Jonathan Eig (It includes recently released info from the CIA and federal gov't who were tracking King so the book has an updated take in that regard.) Reading this really takes you back to a different time. Speaking of demographics, America was like 95% white and black during the 50's and 60's and of course heavily segregated in much of the country.

- he raised a lot of money from people in the North (usually white liberals) to help fight Jim Crow and legal segregation in the South and received positive press coverage from Northern newspapers who showed the atrocities in the South garnering national support for change

- once he achieved some success in the South (with the passage of the civil rights bills) he turned his attention to the North (starting with Chicago); it was stated that the money from North (largely white liberals) started to dry up as they were good with donating when his actions were directed against the South but not so much in their own areas; this went the same for the Northern newspapers and their support for King

- after achieving a degree of success with the civil rights bills and knocking down Jim Crow, King struggled a bit finding his footing - clearly those bills alone didn't end segregation or the many problems black communities faced, but it was much easier to rally people against something so blatant

- King was one of the earliest opponents of the Vietnam War (at a time when many white and black people supported it); he received a lot of heat for it from both communities and many black people thought he was taking his eye off the civil rights fight by focusing on Vietnam

- I think it was 1966 when he went from being one of the most admired people in the country to not making the top ten; white people thought he was pushing too hard for change and causing problems and many black people started losing faith in him

- he continued to spend more time in the North (and places like Los Angeles) where they didn't have segregation codified into the laws like the South but racism was just as strong and they had de facto segregation

- he had to deal with the movement towards Black Power and those in the black community who where moving away from non violence into more militancy

- the CIA and the federal government obviously bugged/tracked everything he did and tried to use his womanizing against him

Clearly a lot more to the man and his life but for those who lived through this does this all ring a bell? Or do you have a different recollection?

Did your book tell you that he plagiarized most of his speeches and cheated on his wife?

He was with a whore in the hotel the day he was shot.

I'm guessing it was a fluff book.

I was about 6 feet from him when he was walking into Cobo Hall to give the ' I Have a Dream Speech". I really did not know much about who he was, but he was getting lots of deference from the people around him. I did not have respect for religion back then either. He gave a talk to the masses earlier. I do not care for that religious cadence. I attended many demonstrations and marches for black rights.
Tinker judges people harshly. Women throw themselves at people with money, power, or a following. Lots of them make the catch. But it does not change the message or the power of their ideas.

but many of my fellow marchers held beliefs quite different from mine on specific issues.

I was merely showing my support for anti-racism in general rather than any specific proposed solutions--like school bussing, for example.

The other fascinating part of the book was the politics and specifically his relationship with Johnson. They worked closely together on the passage of the Civil Rights bills but once King started speaking out against Vietnam their relationship became strained and they did not talk. In fact Johnson seemed to turn against King and almost enjoyed to updates from Hoover about his philandering.

Regarding your personal experience marching, do you recall if the march was directed at the South and the work King was doing there? Or was it more directed locally and what was happening in Boston?

Did your book tell you that he plagiarized most of his speeches and cheated on his wife?

He was with a whore in the hotel the day he was shot.

I'm guessing it was a fluff book.

From the OP:

the CIA and the federal government obviously bugged/tracked everything he did and tried to use his womanizing against him

And yes, it referenced his plagiarizing

Do you have experience with MLK in terms of hearing him speak in person or him coming to your town/city?

From the OP:

the CIA and the federal government obviously bugged/tracked everything he did and tried to use his womanizing against him

And yes, it referenced his plagiarizing

Do you have experience with MLK in terms of hearing him speak in person or him coming to your town/city?

Unfortunately no, he died before I was born.

I was about 6 feet from him when he was walking into Cobo Hall to give the ' I Have a Dream Speech". I really did not know much about who he was, but he was getting lots of deference from the people around him. I did not have respect for religion back then either. He gave a talk to the masses earlier. I do not care for that religious cadence. I attended many demonstrations and marches for black rights.
Tinker judges people harshly. Women throw themselves at people with money, power, or a following. Lots of them make the catch. But it does not change the message or the power of their ideas.

The speech at Cobo Hall was referenced in the book. Did you see Malcolm X speak?

As did I in 66' and 67'
April 15, 1967, demonstrations
On April 15, 1967, the Spring Mobilization's massive march against the Vietnam War from Central Park to the United Nations attracted hundreds of thousands of people, including Martin Luther King Jr., Harry Belafonte, James Bevel, and Dr. Benjamin Spock, who marched and spoke at the event.

In 2013 I was arrested during the new poor peoples march with Dr Barber in NC as a thousand of us were during that summer for peaceful civil disobedience.

Dr King was also a fighter/ leader in the labor movement and antiwar moment , things that aren't taught in schools

When there is massive unemployment in the black community, it is called a social problem. But when there is massive unemployment in the white community, it is called a Depression.

We look around every day and we see thousands and millions of people making inadequate wages. Not only do they work in our hospitals, they work in our hotels, they work in our laundries, they work in domestic service, they find themselves underemployed. You see, no labor is really menial unless you're not getting adequate wages. People are always talking about menial labor. But if you're getting a good (wage) as I know that through some unions they've brought it up...that isn't menial labor. What makes it menial is the income, the wages.

Local 1199 Salute to Freedom, March 1968

Easy to reflect back on a person’s biography and highlight shortcomings or criticism, some accurate, others exaggerated. MLK focused on the Northern States, that is where the money was to fund his campaigns, and if you need a measurement of his influence just look at the reaction to his death

Easy to reflect back on a person’s biography and highlight shortcomings or criticism, some accurate, others exaggerated. MLK focused on the Northern States, that is where the money was to fund his campaigns, and if you need a measurement of his influence just look at the reaction to his death

I'm not following, is something I listed inaccurate or wrongly portrayed? I finished the book last night so all this is fresh in the head.

The speech at Cobo Hall was referenced in the book. Did you see Malcolm X speak?
I don't remember if I saw him in person. I was impressed with Stokley Carmichael .though. Did the book mention Breakthrough? they were nasty ass pre Trumpys full of hate and bigotry. After the demonstrations, I walked some older people and women back to their cars to protect them.

I don't remember if I saw him in person. I was impressed with Stokley Carmichael .though. Did the book mention Breakthrough? they were nasty ass pre Trumpys full of hate and bigotry. After the demonstrations, I walked some older people and women back to their cars to protect them.

They spoke about Stokley Carmichael. He was more militant, was about Black Power and separatism and the ways that conflicted with Dr. King's vision of an integrated society.

They did not mention Breakthrough.

Back