Money is bad

Kamala Trump

Verified User
http://www.energybulletin.net/50327

One consequence of this swift and unprecedented surge in complexity was the triumph of money over all other systems of exchange. When the vast majority of workers at every income level labored at tasks so specialized that their efforts only produced value when combined with those of hundreds or thousands of other workers, money provided the only way they could receive a return on their labor. When most of the customers for any given product had money and nothing else to exchange for it, buying products for money became standard. Social networks of exchange – household economies, customary local exchanges, church and fraternal networks– shattered under the strain, and were replaced by purely economic relationships – wage labor, shopping, public assistance – that could be denominated entirely in cash. The last three centuries of social and economic history are largely a chronicle of the results.
If economists took a wider view of the history of their discipline than they generally do, they might have noticed that what most of them consider a fundamental feature of all economies worth studying – the centrality of money – is actually a unique feature of an economic era defined by cheap abundant energy. Since the fossil fuels that made that era possible are being extracted at a pace many times the rate at which new supplies are being discovered, current assumptions about the role of money in society may be in for a series of unexpected revisions.
In an ironic way, this process of revision may be fostered by the antics of the world’s industrial nations as they try to forestall the Great Recession by spending money they don’t have. The economic crisis that gripped the world in 2008 was primarily driven by a drastic mismatch between money and wealth. When the price of a rundown suburban house zoomed from $75,000 to $575,000, for example, the change marked a distortion in the yardstick rather than any actual increase in the wealth being measured. That distortion caused every economic decision based on it – for example, a buyer’s willingness to go over his head into debt to buy the house, or a bank’s willingness to lend money on the basis of imaginary equity – to suffer similar distortions. Now that the yardsticks have snapped back to something like their proper length, the results of the distortion have to be cleared out of the economy if the amount of money in the system is once again to reflect the actual amount of wealth.
Yet this is exactly what governments and businesses are doing their level best to forestall. Governments are scrambling to prop up economic activity at a pace the real wealth of their societies can no longer support; banks and businesses are doing everything in their power to divert attention from the fact that a great many of the financial assets propping up their balance sheets were never worth anything in the first place and now, if possible, are worth even less. Both are doing so by the simple expedient of spending money they don’t have. As government deficits worldwide spin out of control and the total notional value of the world’s derivatives market climbs steadily above one quadrillion dollars, the decoupling of money from wealth is even more extreme than it was at the height of the real estate bubble.
This is another context in which a wider view of history than economists usually allow themselves to take could offer a useful warning. The dominance of money in complex societies has a distinctive trajectory over time, and next week’s post will discuss some of the ways in which that trajectory might unfold in the decades immediately before us.

http://www.energybulletin.net/50327

One consequence of this swift and unprecedented surge in complexity was the triumph of money over all other systems of exchange. When the vast majority of workers at every income level labored at tasks so specialized that their efforts only produced value when combined with those of hundreds or thousands of other workers, money provided the only way they could receive a return on their labor. When most of the customers for any given product had money and nothing else to exchange for it, buying products for money became standard. Social networks of exchange – household economies, customary local exchanges, church and fraternal networks– shattered under the strain, and were replaced by purely economic relationships – wage labor, shopping, public assistance – that could be denominated entirely in cash. The last three centuries of social and economic history are largely a chronicle of the results.
If economists took a wider view of the history of their discipline than they generally do, they might have noticed that what most of them consider a fundamental feature of all economies worth studying – the centrality of money – is actually a unique feature of an economic era defined by cheap abundant energy. Since the fossil fuels that made that era possible are being extracted at a pace many times the rate at which new supplies are being discovered, current assumptions about the role of money in society may be in for a series of unexpected revisions.
In an ironic way, this process of revision may be fostered by the antics of the world’s industrial nations as they try to forestall the Great Recession by spending money they don’t have. The economic crisis that gripped the world in 2008 was primarily driven by a drastic mismatch between money and wealth. When the price of a rundown suburban house zoomed from $75,000 to $575,000, for example, the change marked a distortion in the yardstick rather than any actual increase in the wealth being measured. That distortion caused every economic decision based on it – for example, a buyer’s willingness to go over his head into debt to buy the house, or a bank’s willingness to lend money on the basis of imaginary equity – to suffer similar distortions. Now that the yardsticks have snapped back to something like their proper length, the results of the distortion have to be cleared out of the economy if the amount of money in the system is once again to reflect the actual amount of wealth.
Yet this is exactly what governments and businesses are doing their level best to forestall. Governments are scrambling to prop up economic activity at a pace the real wealth of their societies can no longer support; banks and businesses are doing everything in their power to divert attention from the fact that a great many of the financial assets propping up their balance sheets were never worth anything in the first place and now, if possible, are worth even less. Both are doing so by the simple expedient of spending money they don’t have. As government deficits worldwide spin out of control and the total notional value of the world’s derivatives market climbs steadily above one quadrillion dollars, the decoupling of money from wealth is even more extreme than it was at the height of the real estate bubble.
This is another context in which a wider view of history than economists usually allow themselves to take could offer a useful warning. The dominance of money in complex societies has a distinctive trajectory over time, and next week’s post will discuss some of the ways in which that trajectory might unfold in the decades immediately before us.
Please send all your money to me, I will destroy it for you!

I hear a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but I can't see it, thank the gawds, just out of church and needing to raise hell?
Oh, look her posts show up on my reply, even though I have her on IA, but not even reply to the nasty bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing sound...

You should have won the JPP Most Stupid award toad breath~~~

Well she is the only one here that can reply to a poster she has on ignore AND miraculously have the post show up in her reply as well!

Just goes to show you she's hot shit in a champagne glass here and at aol, she was just cold pee in a Dixie Cup.

BWA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA :lmao:

Well she is the only one here that can reply to a poster she has on ignore AND miraculously have the post show up in her reply as well!

Just goes to show you she's hot shit in a champagne glass here and at aol, she was just cold pee in a Dixie Cup.

BWA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA :lmao:
Ohm again with the envy you two, maybe they will create a new poll and you guys will win, until then, you just have to suffer with my popularity!

Really, you should ask Grind about that, I do have ID on ignore and when you reply to their post in threaded, the post will show up, so she who laughs first turns out to be the idiot, maybe Damo or some one else can explain it to you!

I believe at AOL I had many friends, and they are still my friends here, maybe that is why I won the popularity contest here, because of my AOL friends! Did that ever occur to you Harlequin!?

Don't laugh to hard, because you are the one who opened her mouth too soon!

Ohm again with the envy you two, maybe they will create a new poll and you guys will win, until then, you just have to suffer with my popularity!

Really, you should ask Grind about that, I do have ID on ignore and when you reply to their post in threaded, the post will show up, so she who laughs first turns out to be the idiot, maybe Damo or some one else can explain it to you!

I believe at AOL I had many friends, and they are still my friends here, maybe that is why I won the popularity contest here, because of my AOL friends! Did that ever occur to you Harlequin!?

That would be "too" hard Foggy. Not "to" hard

Foggy. When all is said and done, we only tease you because......

IT WORKS!

I think it's an honor above all honors that you got your award here.

No really... I do....

You GO GIRL!!!! :good4u:

Hey!!!! Maybe you could put it on a resume'????

:lmao:​

Back