Murtha: "If I'm corrupt, it's just because…."

meme

there you have it.
-------------------------------------------

@ 3:04 pm by Eric Zimmermann
In a stunning interview today in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette,http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09088/959114-455.stm Rep. John Murtha (D-PA) inadvertently stumbled over the central ethical quandary surrounding earmark legislation:

"If I'm corrupt, it's because I take care of my district," Mr. Murtha said. "My job as a member of Congress is to make sure that we take care of what we see is necessary. Not the bureaucrats who are unelected over there in whatever White House, whether it's Republican or Democrat. Those bureaucrats would like to control everything. Every president would like to have all the power and not have Congress change anything. But we're closest to the people." [emphasis added]

Murtha has come under fire for his connections to the PMA Group, a DC lobbying firm which helps secure earmarks for its clients. The head of PMA is Paul Magliochetti, a former Murtha aide. The New York Times reported this morning that the firm will close it's doors next week.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/03/30/murtha-if-im-corrupt-its-just-because/

LOL.

Great way to start a sentence. Man it is probably a really good thing for Democrats that Murtha got defeated in his bid to be Majority Leader in '06.

Murtha has chronic foot in mouth disease, so I won't bend over backwards defending him, but he's essentially correct that he's elected to represent his consituents...

Murtha has chronic foot in mouth disease, so I won't bend over backwards defending him, but he's essentially correct that he's elected to represent his consituents...

Could you imagine this man as Majority Leader? I can't imagine he would last a week under that scrutiny before he said something so stupid and so public that the party would have to disown him.

after the numerous gaffes that came out of murthas mouth prior to the election didn't piss off his constituents enough to get him ousted, this isn't going to change much and it certainly doesn't say much about that particular district in PA.

after the numerous gaffes that came out of murthas mouth prior to the election didn't piss off his constituents enough to get him ousted, this isn't going to change much and it certainly doesn't say much about that particular district in PA.

In reality though if your Congressperson said he would do whatever it takes to bring money home to your district how many people (in that district) would really be angry? Obviously I would assume some but I don't know about a massive uproar. Politicians have been bragging forever about the pork they bring home and we obviously don't see high turnovers in Congress so it seems to work.

In reality though if your Congressperson said he would do whatever it takes to bring money home to your district how many people (in that district) would really be angry? Obviously I would assume some but I don't know about a massive uproar. Politicians have been bragging forever about the pork they bring home and we obviously don't see high turnovers in Congress so it seems to work.

yeah, more and more, as long as the money keeps coming in, people will elect him, but I was referring to his racist comments pre-election.

Back