my crazy idea

tinfoil

Banned
I don't remember how I came up with the idea, but I made a frame for my phone out of wood. It was pure shit. You would have laughed at it if you saw it. I used some rips of hardwood flooring with little thought about what I wanted it to look like. So I made another one with a little better planning. It too was pure shit. Marginally better than the first. Then I made one using better joints and precision planning. It came out sweet. I sanded it really smooth and stained it a really nice stain mix from the project I had just worked on. It was a gray / ebony mixture that made the wood look really old. Then I thought to myself how cool it would look if it was like the wood in a barn with a grayish silvery look. So I made that one and it was fricken cool. Then I wanted one that looked like it was made by hand saws in the old days. I wanted it to look like the beams in a hundred year old structure like a barn or a cabin. I made a few before I finally got the look right though they all looked really awesome anyway.
htconeframe.jpg
Then I decided I wanted to make one that looked like the really old houses and barns in New England where they used nothing but an axe to shape the logs.
htconehandhewnframe.jpg

I am hooked on making these things.

That's really cool. You need to sell them.

I love the hand made juxtaposed with the iphone.

Jarod, I've been thinking about it. There are huge numbers of people who would like them. It's a good retirement business for me. Just need a real workshop. Someday. It's on the list!

I don't remember how I came up with the idea, but I made a frame for my phone out of wood. It was pure shit. You would have laughed at it if you saw it. I used some rips of hardwood flooring with little thought about what I wanted it to look like. So I made another one with a little better planning. It too was pure shit. Marginally better than the first. Then I made one using better joints and precision planning. It came out sweet. I sanded it really smooth and stained it a really nice stain mix from the project I had just worked on. It was a gray / ebony mixture that made the wood look really old. Then I thought to myself how cool it would look if it was like the wood in a barn with a grayish silvery look. So I made that one and it was fricken cool. Then I wanted one that looked like it was made by hand saws in the old days. I wanted it to look like the beams in a hundred year old structure like a barn or a cabin. I made a few before I finally got the look right though they all looked really awesome anyway.
View attachment 3947
Then I decided I wanted to make one that looked like the really old houses and barns in New England where they used nothing but an axe to shape the logs.
View attachment 3948

Very cool. You don't need access to the edges of your phone? Or is that why you used dowels to hold it together?

Very cool. You don't need access to the edges of your phone? Or is that why you used dowels to hold it together?

There are slots for power and for the headphone jack. The buttons are handled by dowels that are tapered to stay in the holes and that you press to activate. It was part of the fun to make them work perfectly on each frame. Three corners have dowels that are tightly fit so they are more difficult to take apart and one corner has a dowel that is a little easier to remove. You can stretch the frame open a little to get the phone in and then pop in the dowel by hand. Getting it out might take a little pressure with a toothpick from the bottom side. Oh yeah, the corners are also joined with dovetail joints. The dowels in the corners are just an extra measure to keep it together. I had my phone fall out of coat while riding the bike today and the frame did its job well.

View attachment 3947
View attachment 3948

Nice job!

View attachment 3947
View attachment 3948

Instructables have some good ideas also.

Here's one:
Smartphone Wood Veneer Case

FM3TRQXI2XTPM81.SMALL.jpg

Those full wood cases are cool, but I wanted the look of beams. My design is totally impractical. It adds about half an inch on both sides of the phone. It's purely for the person who enjoys looking at old fashioned joinery and old dusty beams. I have thought about making one with planks on the back. I need to perfect a way to create the look of old red paint with lichen and paint peeling. That would look cool with the entire back closed off and a tiny little window for the camera.

NEW MISSION!

Those full wood cases are cool, but I wanted the look of beams. My design is totally impractical. It adds about half an inch on both sides of the phone. It's purely for the person who enjoys looking at old fashioned joinery and old dusty beams. I have thought about making one with planks on the back. I need to perfect a way to create the look of old red paint with lichen and paint peeling. That would look cool with the entire back closed off and a tiny little window for the camera.

NEW MISSION!

Great job, they are really cool. I love the distressed look and the peeling paint one sounds awesome.

NEW MISSION!

I'm not really a fan of the more rugged look that you're going for, but, nice work.

That is funny, PMP. Might use that idea for a promo video. LOL

Promotional consideration by the following corporations:

Blowins Corning

Cantmisser Chestinblause

Queerhauyser Finkleshmidt

View attachment 3947
View attachment 3948

way cool dude

make them to sell

NEW MISSION!
I wasn't going to rain on your parade w/respect to practical. The case def looks great. I have my own issues with finding a pocket for my phone when I'm working, etc. So this would be a bit bulky. Of course, I bought what is supposed to be the military issue phone, with tougher screen and dust/water proof design.

If you're trying to create an old paint look, there's a product called 'Crackle' that has been used for a long time on furniture. When the chipping paint look was all the rage (I never understood it), I know finishers who would use this product.

Or, you could try putting a thin coat of polyurethane on the wood before painting, so that the paint won't take properly. You can age it with a wire brush, either when the paint is wet/damp/dry. You will have to experiment.

I made some frames for my TVs using reclaimed wood. Actually, they were stakes (used to prop up young trees) that had outlived their usefulness after 5 years or more. The trees were all over 8 feet tall. I grabbed them all (the weathered stakes) they were so beautifully aged. I hope nobody misses them LOL

tvframes.jpg

Back