National Right to Work Act Petition

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
Whereas: Federal law permits Big Labor to confiscate $8 billion from American workers’ paychecks every year just to get or keep a job;

Whereas: This forced unionism breeds violent strikes and a hate-the-boss mentality which drive good jobs overseas, jack up prices and risk re-igniting inflation:

Whereas: Union bosses use this forced-dues fortune to corrupt our political system with over a billion dollars every election cycle;

Whereas: Union-puppet politicians routinely vote for higher taxes, bailouts, job-killing bureaucracy and even more porkbarrel spending keeping our nation locked in recession;

Therefore: I urge you in the strongest possible terms to strike a blow for freedom and American prosperity by co-sponsoring and casting your every vote in favor the National Right to Work Act.
http://righttoworkcommittee.org/rprtwa_petition.aspx?pid=th3r

Considering the low percentages of unionization, it's pretty fraudulent to assert that jobs go overseas due to "unions". its actually the relatively cheaper labor costs due to political oppression that drives them overseas.

your pet globalization stupidity is the real driver of outsourcing. STop being a liar.

Why do you hate freedom? :confused:

With a bit of change in the way they are run, Unions could benefit from allowing people to simply opt-out. Had that been an option here I wouldn't have voted in their election at all, the tie wouldn't have happened, they'd be able to join a union and I'd be able to go about my life without it.

Unions aren't "evil", and people who want to join one should be allowed to, those of us who want no part of them should also be allowed to go without being forced to associate rather than have an option for it.

As it stands now, if they did unionize here I'd be forced to give them money regardless of using the option to resign from the union.

People like freedom. Why don't you want them to have it?

Freedom to work for less, or the freedom to have someone show up at your door to inform your family you won't be coming home?

The average worker in a right to work state makes about $5,333 a year less than workers in other states ($35,500 compared with $30,167).[1] Weekly wages are $72 greater in free-bargaining states than in right to work states ($621 versus $549).[2] Working families in states without right to work laws have higher wages and benefit from healthier tax bases that improve their quality of life.

Federal law already protects workers who don’t want to join a union to get or keep their jobs. Supporters claim right to work laws protect employees from being forced to join unions. Don’t be fooled—federal law already does this, as well as protecting nonmembers from paying for union activities that violate their religious or political beliefs. This individual freedom argument is a sham.

Right to work endangers safety and health standards that protect workers on the job by weakening unions that help to ensure worker safety by fighting for tougher safety rules. According to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is 51 percent higher in states with right to work, where unions can’t speak up on behalf of workers.[3]

Freedom to work for less, or the freedom to have someone show up at your door to inform your family you won't be coming home?

The average worker in a right to work state makes about $5,333 a year less than workers in other states ($35,500 compared with $30,167).[1] Weekly wages are $72 greater in free-bargaining states than in right to work states ($621 versus $549).[2] Working families in states without right to work laws have higher wages and benefit from healthier tax bases that improve their quality of life.

Federal law already protects workers who don’t want to join a union to get or keep their jobs. Supporters claim right to work laws protect employees from being forced to join unions. Don’t be fooled—federal law already does this, as well as protecting nonmembers from paying for union activities that violate their religious or political beliefs. This individual freedom argument is a sham.

Right to work endangers safety and health standards that protect workers on the job by weakening unions that help to ensure worker safety by fighting for tougher safety rules. According to the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics, the rate of workplace deaths is 51 percent higher in states with right to work, where unions can’t speak up on behalf of workers.[3]

Those numbers are meaningless unless you provide COLA as well.

The OSHA standards apply across the board to all safety issues and requirements in the workplace. The main functions of unions is facilitating complaints filed to OSHA. But that is simply something that is too easy to do in the first place.

If there are safety violations in a workplace, calling OSHA is much faster and more effective than organizing a union.

I would be interested to see a link to a study showing workplace deaths being 51% higher in the same line of work, in Right To Work states.

I found an interesting bit of info on an AFL-CIO site, which is either the source of your post or is quoting the same source.

Discussing Right To Work states, the article states: "Workers in those states who are injured on the job also lose out on workers’ compensation.".

That is an outright lie. Membership in a union has absolutely nothing to do with workers' compensation.

If I were in the group suffering the high unemployment I'd want a union even more than I currently wish for. However, unemployment hasn't dipped below 5% for college educated. The mind is a terrible thing to waist, some of these GED's just have terrible minds.

This political battle is about public employee unions, not private unions, so the union here wants to negotiate worker pay against a government entity. I thought liberals loved government? Isn't government supposed to be this wonderful benefactor for workers?

If I were in the group suffering the high unemployment I'd want a union even more than I currently wish for. However, unemployment hasn't dipped below 5% for college educated. The mind is a terrible thing to waist, some of these GED's just have terrible minds.

What an arrogant and condescending statement...I could understand if you were some wet behind the ears kid...you really are an asshole.

What an arrogant and condescending statement...I could understand if you were some wet behind the ears kid...you really are an asshole.

I'm a preceptive asshole apparently. You spouted off a bunch of libtard economics. I said you prob didn't have a business education, which you don't. A lot of high school grads are pissy right now just like you ya loser.

The OSHA standards apply across the board to all safety issues and requirements in the workplace. The main functions of unions is facilitating complaints filed to OSHA. But that is simply something that is too easy to do in the first place.

If there are safety violations in a workplace, calling OSHA is much faster and more effective than organizing a union.

I would be interested to see a link to a study showing workplace deaths being 51% higher in the same line of work, in Right To Work states.

It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.
Albert Camus

Tell that to these people...oh you can't...they're dead.

West Virginia Coal Mine Explosion: 25 Dead After Massey Blast

Massey Energy Mine Cited for 1,300+ Safety Violations in Years Leading up to Deadly Explosion

Four people remain missing in a West Virginia coal mine two days after a huge explosion killed at least twenty-five miners in the worst mining disaster in the United States in more than a quarter-century. According to federal records, MSHA cited the Upper Big Branch mine for more than 1,300 safety violations from 2005 through Monday. Fifty citations came in the last month alone. We speak with Chuck Nelson, an underground coal miner for thirty years.

Question: Chuck Nelson, this is a non-union mine. What does that mean?

CHUCK NELSON: Well, it means that, you know, the worker, when he was told to do something, that you cannot file a grievance. You had to more or less do what you say—what they tell you to do, or else they’ll tell you, “Well, we have a man to replace you for the next day. You can just go home. You don’t need this job anymore.”

Whereas at a union mine, you have a union representation. You have a union fire boss. At a non-union mine, the fire boss is regulated by the company person, a salary person. So, you know, being from a union mine and having a union fire boss to go in and inspect the mines, he had a lot more—a lot more care about his job, because it’s his co-workers, it’s his brothers that he’s working with, side by side. And working in the mines, you become a family. I mean, these are really close-tied individuals. And, you know, it was—the difference between working at a union mine and a non-union mine is just like day and night.

More

I'm a preceptive asshole apparently. You spouted off a bunch of libtard economics. I said you prob didn't have a business education, which you don't. A lot of high school grads are pissy right now just like you ya loser.

You may be the least impressive person on this board when it comes to economics. You sure don't sound like someone who cares about anyone but yourself, or ever raised a family. Being able to play the stock market doesn't make you an expert on a country's economy. An economy is more than numbers...it's how the policies impact people's lives.

Back