New Alaska Oil Leases Being Offered

uscitizen

Villified User
Published on Thursday, August 17, 2006 by the Associated Press
New Alaska Oil Leases Being Offered
by H. Josef Hebert

The Interior Department is set to open a vast area of environmentally sensitive wetlands in Alaska to new oil drilling, even as opponents point to corroding pipelines to the east at Prudhoe Bay as a reason to keep the area off-limits.

The tens of thousands of acres in and around Lake Teshekpuk on Alaska's North Slope are part of the oil-rich Barrow Arch that also includes the Prudhoe Bay fields that have kept oil flowing for decades.

The lease sale, opposed by environmentalists and some members of Congress, comes as federal regulators and a House committee investigate inspection and maintenance programs of BP-Alaska where widespread pipeline corrosion forced the partial shutdown of Prudhoe Bay oil production Aug. 6.

BP-Alaska is a subsidiary of London-based BP PLC.

Government geologists believe at least 2 billion barrels of oil and huge amounts of natural gas lie beneath the coastal lagoons, river deltas and sedge grass meadows — an area also where caribou give birth to their calves and thousands of geese migrate each summer to molt.

Within days, the Interior Department will open tracts in the lake area for leasing, with the winning bids to be announced in late September.

The lake and its surrounding wetlands are within the federal National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPRA), a vast area of 22 million acres set aside in 1923 by the federal government for its oil and gas resources.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0817-07.htm

forgive me about being ignorant.. but how does drilling cause environmental problems. I always here it does but im trying to envision.

Lots of salt and such are flushed out of the ground during the drilling process for one thing.

But you missed the point of all this, do a search on alaska oil leases. ANWR is not the only game in town, just a republican strawman.

The fluids from such drilling are easily contained.

And when the ANWR was created in 1960, a small section was set aside to be used for oil exploration. When the 1.5 million acres were added in the 80s, the section was again reserved for oil exploration.

The current technologies make the drilling in ANWR safer than ever. Especially if they stick to the plan to only cross the tundra when its frozen. This would bring the impact to an absolute minimum.

Ok so why have oil companies been sitting on drilling leases for 30 years ?
THAT is my POINT!

And all the while whining ANWR ?

I don't know where it is that these leases have them drilling. There are a number of reasons, from EPA restrictions to local transport restrictions that could effect the viability of drilling there.

The point is I don't know.

I am just addressing the question of ANWR.

Back