NFL teams would be wise to steer clear of 'Johnny Football'

christiefan915

Catalyst
I don't watch college football but recognize this guy's name and know some of JPP's sports fans have talked about him. The article was in the paper the other day.

Will Johnny Manziel be the next Russell Wilson or the next Tim Tebow?

Isn’t that the $50 million question as the NFL off season heats up this weekend at the league’s scouting combine in Indianapolis?

Let me offer a quick answer: Tebow.

I look at Manziel and see another overpublicized bust.

Manziel already is Tebow’s equal in one sense. I’m completely and totally sick of him. Sick of his many immaturity issues, which appear to be following him to the NFL from Texas A&M. Sick of his endless self-promotion. Sick of him trying to talk his way into being the No. 1 overall pick by the Houston Texans in the May 8 draft. It’s to the point I’d almost rather watch 24 hours non-stop of Tebow in Super Bowl commercials. I said almost.

It’s one of life’s great mysteries how Tebow became such a popular public figure. He will be remembered as one of the all-time worst first-round picks. He did nothing in his pro career. Well, almost nothing. There was that surreal January 2012 day in Denver when he dismantled the Steelers. There still is no logical explanation. But this is about the brazen Manziel.

“I want them to say absolutely, without a doubt, with 100 percent certainty, that I’m who they want,” Manziel said of the Texans. “I want everybody from the janitor at Reliant Stadium to the front office executive assistant all the way up to [owner] Bob McNair to say, ‘This kid is 100 percent, can’t miss’ .”

In an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Manziel went on to threaten the Texans if they let him slide to the Jacksonville Jaguars with the No. 3 pick. “It would be the worst decision they ever made. I’d be in the same division playing against them twice a year. Sorry, but you just turned that chip on my shoulder from a Frito into a Dorito.” Whatever the heck that means.

Manziel even talked of going to the Cleveland Browns at No. 4, saying, if picked by that miserable franchise, “I’m going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland. I don’t care if they’ve had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I’m going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl.”

(Continued)

I think Johnny will fall somewhere in the middle. Interestingly, Wilson and Tebow are both classy guys, so that's another comparison Manziel doesn't correlate to. Manziel's passing game is well ahead of Tebow, and that will keep him employed in the NFL. I will say that he's too risky to be a first overall pick, and Houston should grab Bridgewater.

Manziel could obviously be a bust but I don't really see him a Tebow on the field. Tebow was an amazing college QB but it was quite clear his skills weren't necessarily that of a NFL QB. I don't really see people saying Manziel doesn't have the talent. Yes he gets a lot of hype and yes he has a big ego (the latter can be a good and bad thing) but he has the ability to be really good.

Manziel could obviously be a bust but I don't really see him a Tebow on the field. Tebow was an amazing college QB but it was quite clear his skills weren't necessarily that of a NFL QB. I don't really see people saying Manziel doesn't have the talent. Yes he gets a lot of hype and yes he has a big ego (the latter can be a good and bad thing) but he has the ability to be really good.

He sounds just like Tebow...

5' 11" / 207 pounds is WAAAAY too small to be a good QB these days.

And they said that Tebow was too small at 6' 3" & 230lbs

He sounds just like Tebow...

5' 11" / 207 pounds is WAAAAY too small to be a good QB these days.

And they said that Tebow was too small at 6' 3" & 230lbs

The knock on Tebow was he couldn't throw, which he really couldn't.

Size is an issue for Manziel but Brees and Russell Wilson have shown that QB's 6' and under can excel in the league.

First rounders are cheap now with the rookie salary cap.
He's going first to texans
Teams need mobile qb's ala kaap, Wilson

The knock on Tebow was he couldn't throw, which he really couldn't.

Size is an issue for Manziel but Brees and Russell Wilson have shown that QB's 6' and under can excel in the league.

He wasn't given the opportunity to learn and grow.

His 1st year stats with the Broncos were better than Elway's.

"career highlights at Florida include winning the Heisman Trophy in 2007, leading the team to a BCS championship in 2008, and a 13–1 2009 season. The Gators coaches selected him as a team captain in 2008 and 2009, and he is the only three-time recipient of the Gators' most valuable player award, having been chosen by his teammates in 2007, 2008 and 2009"

Those don't sound like the stats of a guy having trouble and struggling to throw the ball.

He wasn't given the opportunity to learn and grow.

His 1st year stats with the Broncos were better than Elway's.

"career highlights at Florida include winning the Heisman Trophy in 2007, leading the team to a BCS championship in 2008, and a 13–1 2009 season. The Gators coaches selected him as a team captain in 2008 and 2009, and he is the only three-time recipient of the Gators' most valuable player award, having been chosen by his teammates in 2007, 2008 and 2009"

Those don't sound like the stats of a guy having trouble and struggling to throw the ball.

I'm well aware of his exploits at Florida but as we have seen many times over college exploits don't necessarily translate into success in the NFL. I don't really care about Tebow one way or the other but look at the need for QB's and no team wants to work with him/give him a shot?

I would like to see them draft Clowney and have O'Brien work at developing Case Keenum.

Talk about another over rated bust waiting to happen. Clowney is all about himself and the money. That is it. His pathetic work ethic won't cut it in the NFL. Unless he substantially changes that... he is a bust.

That said... 'Johnny football' would be the biggest mistake since Ryan Leaf.

He has a decent arm, but his scrambling ability is not that of Wilson or Tebow. He is not fast enough to do the same at the NFL level. Wilson has all the tools. Tebow was a great runner, horrid passer. Manziel is a good passer, but will likely be ineffective in running at the NFL level.

The Broncos had a terrific O Line in 2011 which empowered Tebow to work his magic. If Manziel can get similar protection he could do well on the ground. I'm impressed that Ryan Tannehill is still alive in Miami after the abuse he took last year with the collapse of the O Line. Wilson also proved his metal after having the next worst-rated protection.

He has a decent arm, but his scrambling ability is not that of Wilson or Tebow. He is not fast enough to do the same at the NFL level. Wilson has all the tools. Tebow was a great runner, horrid passer. Manziel is a good passer, but will likely be ineffective in running at the NFL level.
like andrew luck ? Hes doing ok. 2nd best outta tbat 4 guy class. Yeah im a seahawk fan so you can guess who i like best.

like andrew luck ? Hes doing ok. 2nd best outta tbat 4 guy class. Yeah im a seahawk fan so you can guess who i like best.

Andrew Luck is far superior to Manziel. His football IQ is higher, better decision making, better arm, better size... Manziel is nowhere close.

Everyone knew that Luck was the best QB in the draft, and will likely go on to become a Rodgers/Brady/Manning type. The same can rarely be said of any other prospect, regardless of how strong their college game was.

Back