Niall Ferguson

• Thread starter Thread starter Cancel5
  • Start date Start date
I think its going to bankrupt us either way, because the new plan certainly will, and we obviously cannot continue on the way that we currently are...

I recently saw this gentlemen on Real Time and found what he had to say very disturbing.

If we don't fix health care in the US then it is going to bankrupt US.

I plan on reading his book.

In the meantime, enjoy or not...

http://www.niallferguson.com/site/FERG/Templates/General2.aspx?pageid=5

http://www.hbo.com/billmaher/episode/2009_07_31_ep162.html

I'm reading one of his books right now... The Ascent of Money: The Financial History of the World its pretty good

I'm reading one of his books right now... The Ascent of Money: The Financial History of the World its pretty good

Thanks, that means something coming from you, you are a natural skeptic! :p

yeah, that's the new fear mongering scream of the progressives..

Things Called facts, I know they are foreign to you. It is not being scared, it is being informed and proactive! Get it progressive, not stagnate.

I think its going to bankrupt us either way, because the new plan certainly will, and we obviously cannot continue on the way that we currently are...

Get out of Iraq, and Afghanistan, if we can afford to be there, we can afford health care for 45 million people!

We now spend 1 out of ever 5 doollars on health care.
Within 10-15 years max we will be spending 3 out of every 5 dollars on health care.

Health care costs have been rising for several years. Expenditures in the United States on health care surpassed $2.2 trillion in 2007, more than three times the $714 billion spent in 1990, and over eight times the $253 billion spent in 1980. Stemming this growth has become a major policy priority, as the government, employers, and consumers increasingly struggle to keep up with health care costs. [1]

In 2007, U.S. health care spending was about $7,421 per resident and accounted for 16.2% of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP); this is among the highest of all industrialized countries. Total health care expenditures grew at an annual rate of 6.1 percent in 2007, a slower rate than recent years, yet still outpacing inflation and the growth in national income. Absent reform, there is general agreement that health costs are likely to continue to rise in the foreseeable future. Many analysts have cited controlling health care costs as a key tenet for broader economic stability and growth, and President Obama has made cost control a focus of health reform efforts under way.

Although Americans benefit from many of the investments in health care, the recent rapid cost growth, coupled with an overall economic slowdown and rising federal deficit, is placing great strains on the systems used to finance health care, including private employer-sponsored health insurance coverage and public insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. Since 1999, employer-sponsored health coverage premiums have increased by 119 percent, placing increasing cost burdens on employers and workers. [2] With workers’ wages growing at a much slower pace than health care costs, many face difficulty in affording out-of-pocket spending.

Government programs, such as Medicare and Medicaid, account for a significant share of health care spending. Public health expenditures made up about 46% of the health care dollar in 2007, with the remainder split between private and out-of-pocket spending (42% and 12%, respectively). Medicare spending has grown at a slightly lower rate, on average, than private health insurance spending, at about 9.0 vs. 10.1% annually respectively between 1970 and 2003. [3] Medicaid expenditures, similarly, have grown at slower rate than private spending, though the current economic recession is likely to increase the number of enrollees in Medicaid and therefore increase Medicaid spending.

http://www.kaiseredu.org/topics_im.asp?imID=1&parentID=61&id=358

Simply not true though. The costs aren't even remotely comparable.

$160 billion annually until? That number is above the defense budget since the inception, after this year it will be included, but that will leave a DoD budget in the $3/4 trillion range, and who knows about the cost of Afghanistan in the future? When will healthcare for all come before nation building as in every other 'civilized' country?

Last edited:
Simply not true though. The costs aren't even remotely comparable.

Did Mill have any idea of the meaningless wars of choice that this country would be fighting? I woould think he had no thought of nation-building wars being acts of patriotic pride, probably quite the opposite.

Health care costs have been rising for several years. Expenditures in the United States on health care surpassed $2.2 trillion in 2007, more than three times the $714 billion spent in 1990, and over eight times the $253 billion spent in 1980. Stemming this growth has become a major policy priority, as the government, employers, and consumers increasingly struggle to keep up with health care costs. [1]

In 2007, U.S. health care spending was about $7,421 per resident and accounted for 16.2% of the nation’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP); this is among the highest of all industrialized countries. Total health care expenditures grew at an annual rate of 6.1 percent in 2007, a slower rate than recent years, yet still outpacing inflation and the growth in national income. Absent reform, there is general agreement that health costs are likely to continue to rise in the foreseeable future. Many analysts have cited controlling health care costs as a key tenet for broader economic stability and growth, and President Obama has made cost control a focus of health reform efforts under way.

Although Americans benefit from many of the investments in health care, the recent rapid cost growth, coupled with an overall economic slowdown and rising federal deficit, is placing great strains on the systems used to finance health care, including private employer-sponsored health insurance coverage and public insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. Since 1999, employer-sponsored health coverage premiums have increased by 119 percent, placing increasing cost burdens on employers and workers. [2] With workers’ wages growing at a much slower pace than health care costs, many face difficulty in affording out-of-pocket spending.

Government programs, such as Medicare and Medicaid, account for a significant share of health care spending. Public health expenditures made up about 46% of the health care dollar in 2007, with the remainder split between private and out-of-pocket spending (42% and 12%, respectively). Medicare spending has grown at a slightly lower rate, on average, than private health insurance spending, at about 9.0 vs. 10.1% annually respectively between 1970 and 2003. [3] Medicaid expenditures, similarly, have grown at slower rate than private spending, though the current economic recession is likely to increase the number of enrollees in Medicaid and therefore increase Medicaid spending.

http://www.kaiseredu.org/topics_im.asp?imID=1&parentID=61&id=358

Watch them bash Kaiser.

Did Mill have any idea of the meaningless wars of choice that this country would be fighting? I woould think he had no thought of nation-building wars being acts of patriotic pride, probably quite the opposite.

Oh I certainly agree I think he would be very opposed, like myself, to Iraq. I think he might be more receptive toward our efforts in Afghanistan, although they too should have ideally been phased out by now.

Froggie I'll pull some numbers to show you about healthcare costs vs. the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq tomorrow, but I just got back from the bars and that is a post that warrants a sober response.

Oh I certainly agree I think he would be very opposed, like myself, to Iraq. I think he might be more receptive toward our efforts in Afghanistan, although they too should have ideally been phased out by now.

Froggie I'll pull some numbers to show you about healthcare costs vs. the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq tomorrow, but I just got back from the bars and that is a post that warrants a sober response.

I thank you for the reply, get some rest.

Back