Nixon's Testimony, Long Classified, Has Been Released...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15686409

The US National Archives has released the grand jury testimony of former President Richard Nixon, made after the Watergate scandal forced him to resign.

Jurors asked about almost 19 missing minutes of a key conversation between Nixon and his chief of staff.

The former president swore it was an accident that tapes had been erased, saying "I practically blew my stack."

The secret testimony was given in June 1975 and released by order of a US judge following a historian's request.

Stanley Kutler of the University of Wisconsin has written a number of books about Nixon.

More at link...

Video:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15687918

Typically these things are classified for a certain length of time. Some of the investigations into the Kennedy Assassination by the Warren Commission won't be declassified for another decade, for example.

...The former president swore it was an accident that tapes had been erased, saying "I practically blew my stack."...

And you believe that?

On November 8, 1973, Nixon’s secretary, Rose Mary Woods, testified "The buttons said on and off, forward and backward. I caught on to that fairly fast. I don't think I'm so stupid as to erase what's on a tape."

Later that month, she testified she had made "a terrible mistake" during transcription.

On October 1, 1973 while playing the tape on the Uher 5000, she answered a phone call. Reaching for the Uher 5000 stop button, she testified that she mistakenly hit the button next to it, the record button.

For the duration of the phone call, about 5 minutes, she kept her foot on the device's pedal, causing a five-minute portion of the tape to be re-recorded. She insisted that she was not responsible for the remaining 13 minutes of buzz.

Woods was asked to replicate the position she took to cause that accident: seated at a desk, reaching far back over her left shoulder for a telephone as her foot applies constant pressure to the pedal controlling the transcription machine.

Her extremely awkward posture during the demonstration, dubbed the "Rose Mary Stretch," resulted in many political commentators questioning the validity of the explanation...

Rose_Mary_Woods.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watergate_tapes#Cause_of_Gap

Typically these things are classified for a certain length of time. Some of the investigations into the Kennedy Assassination by the Warren Commission won't be declassified for another decade, for example.

My God, I thought we were paranoid about such things. It seems the US is just as bad.

My God, I thought we were paranoid about such things. It seems the US is just as bad.

So, when is the British govt. going to declassify the documents which show that the Zimmerman Telegram was a hoax to draw the US into WWI? Its long admitted that the Luisitaina was carrying munitions on board, and most of the other things it did, such as fly the US flag aboard ships to make ocean neutrality untenable from the German standpoint.

:D

So, when is the British govt. going to declassify the documents which show that the Zimmerman Telegram was a hoax to draw the US into WWI? Its long admitted that the Luisitaina was carrying munitions on board, and most of the other things it did, such as fly the US flag aboard ships to make ocean neutrality untenable from the German standpoint.

:D

Another conspiracy theory? What evidence do you have to justify saying it's a hoax?

Just speculation about how damned convenient a transmission it was for Britain, and how completely stupid it was for Germany. Of course, if authentic, it was authored by Germans, and therefore prone to stupidity.

Just speculation about how damned convenient a transmission it was for Britain, and how completely stupid it was for Germany. Of course, if authentic, it was authored by Germans, and therefore prone to stupidity.

It was the British invention of the tank that finally made the Germany trench-line crumble. The German cross-fire tactics, using machine guns, was of little use once tanks started rumbling across no-man's land. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. The arrival of US troops played very little part, being both ill equipped and lacking any experience. In 1918, the USA was a backwater country with little military might and less "imagination".

What did make a difference though was the effect that the arrival of US troops had on German morale. The result being to hasten the war's end without affecting the inevitability of German defeat. One of the most effective units was the segregated 369th infantry which was assigned by Pershing to the French 4th Army. Their valour earned them the respect of the French government at least, receiving the Croix de Guerre for their outstanding combat record. Needless to say, they got no such respectful acknowledgement from the US government.

Last edited:
Nixon should have died in jail.

I remember the very day he left office. I saw him on TV.

After that,,,,,,,,, Ford gave him a free pass, and then lost the next election.

Back