No Free Speech In France

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Puts thing in perspective sometime.

Technically it's a suspended jail sentence but there is this thing called principle that still seems to get in the way..

"French far-right politician Jean-Marie Le Pen has been given a three-month suspended jail term for playing down the Nazi occupation of France."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7234978.stm

Because that wouldn't be free speech. Free speech doesn't just extend towards those saying popular things...in fact, it is most important to protect free speech when unpleasant things are being said.

Even in the US we don't have complete freedom of speech.

We're still better than say Italy, where praising a criminal is an actual crime in itself, or Austria, where denying the Holocaust is punishable by jail time, or as we see here: France, where expressing an unpopular opinion is illegal.

Does freedom of speech, without exception, exist anywhere outside of the United States?

I suggest one of our American contingent suggest that the assassination of that thing in the Whitehouse may not be a wholly unthinkable idea and see what the response is.

Go on...i'm only interested in the sense of a social experiment.

I suggest one of our American contingent suggest that the assassination of that thing in the Whitehouse may not be a wholly unthinkable idea and see what the response is.

Go on...i'm only interested in the sense of a social experiment.

Haha.

A better experiment would be to have you and one of our Americans say it at the same time, and see which one gets their doors kicked down by black-uniformed officers first.

Haha.

A better experiment would be to have you and one of our Americans say it at the same time, and see which one gets their doors kicked down by black-uniformed officers first.

OK i'm up for that.

I remember AnyOldIron made a similar suggestion once and he's still alive...maybe...

who dares me to actually report watermark to the dept. of homeland security to see if anything happens?

They're probably going to label me a terrorist and send me to gitmo "indefinitely".

I'll pretend they lost my Koran and sue the hell out of them, though.

No, they won't do anything to Watermark directly.

The FBI keeps a list of people who have ever threatened to do something like assassinate a politician and things of that nature...they have a whole file of people like that.

What will happen is that Watermark would be placed under surveillance on occasion and would likely be tailed or actually approached by agents anytime an important politician was in the same area as him.

Back