No We Can't

anatta

100% recycled karma
2008, Barack Obama campaigned on the theme of “Yes, We Can!” And while Barack Obama did not accomplish everything we and he wanted to, on many things he tried. When Rahm told him not to even try to reform healthcare because it was not practical, he tried anyway. The ACA is far from perfect. It left almost 30 million Americans behind. But it has helped millions and that’s good.

I’m not going to talk about Hillary’s misleading claims about Bernie, the ACA, and single payer. I want to talk about “No we can’t!”

Hillary talking about Barack Obama in February 2008:

“Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be. You are not going to wave a magic wand and have the special interests disappear!”

“No, We Can’t!”

Hillary in 2016 taking about Bernie Sanders:

I wish that we could elect a Democratic president who could wave a magic wand and say, ‘We shall do this, and we shall do that.’ That ain’t the real world we’re living in!

“No, We Can’t!”

Hillary learned from the debacle in 1994 when her health care plan lost.

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to breaking up big banks:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to a $15 an hour minimum wage:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to free college:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to changing the deep economic inequality:

“No, We Can’t!”

What can we do?

Tinker around the edges of the status quo.

Hillary won’t even try. Yes, many battles are difficult and we must be realistic. And some goals are longer term than others.

BUT THE ONLY WAY TO ALWAYS LOSE IS TO NEVER TRY AT ALL.

Notwithstanding her recent attempts to be as close to Barack Obama as she can, Hillary is no Barack Obama.

I’ll take “Yes, We can! Si, Se puede!”

Hillary Clinton said No We Can’t over and over but never said those exact words. But you all knew that.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1/18/1471309/-Hillary-No-We-Can-t

I keep hearing "no we can't " from Hillary on Bernie's ideas. Is it just me? Or is her candidacy one of a wet blanket
saying only she can fix it by incrementalism

Thursday night’s Democratic presidential debate began with a dispute over health care policy and ended with an argument about President Barack Obama’s legacy.

But in each of those moments, and at several points in between, Hillary Clinton and Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) were really arguing over something very basic.

Can the next president eliminate, or at least weaken substantially, the political obstacles that block a liberal agenda?

Sanders thinks the answer is yes. Clinton thinks the answer is no............( more at link)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/clinton-sanders-debate_us_56bd67d2e4b0b40245c60e1f

2008, Barack Obama campaigned on the theme of “Yes, We Can!” And while Barack Obama did not accomplish everything we and he wanted to, on many things he tried. When Rahm told him not to even try to reform healthcare because it was not practical, he tried anyway. The ACA is far from perfect. It left almost 30 million Americans behind. But it has helped millions and that’s good.

I’m not going to talk about Hillary’s misleading claims about Bernie, the ACA, and single payer. I want to talk about “No we can’t!”

Hillary talking about Barack Obama in February 2008:

“Maybe I’ve just lived a little long, but I have no illusions about how hard this is going to be. You are not going to wave a magic wand and have the special interests disappear!”

“No, We Can’t!”

Hillary in 2016 taking about Bernie Sanders:

I wish that we could elect a Democratic president who could wave a magic wand and say, ‘We shall do this, and we shall do that.’ That ain’t the real world we’re living in!

“No, We Can’t!”

Hillary learned from the debacle in 1994 when her health care plan lost.

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to breaking up big banks:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to a $15 an hour minimum wage:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to free college:

“No, We Can’t!”

When it comes to changing the deep economic inequality:

“No, We Can’t!”

What can we do?

Tinker around the edges of the status quo.

Hillary won’t even try. Yes, many battles are difficult and we must be realistic. And some goals are longer term than others.

BUT THE ONLY WAY TO ALWAYS LOSE IS TO NEVER TRY AT ALL.

Notwithstanding her recent attempts to be as close to Barack Obama as she can, Hillary is no Barack Obama.

I’ll take “Yes, We can! Si, Se puede!”

Hillary Clinton said No We Can’t over and over but never said those exact words. But you all knew that.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/1/18/1471309/-Hillary-No-We-Can-t

" But it has helped millions and that’s good".

How so? How is someone getting something the rest of us have to earn and buy because those of us earning it/buying it are taxed to fund subsidies for the freeloaders a good thing?

Actually Anatta, I'd argue more politicians should say that. Basically every politician over promises. And we Americans love benefits but hate paying for them.

Actually Anatta, I'd argue more politicians should say that. Basically every politician over promises. And we Americans love benefits but hate paying for them.
I think you are missing the fact revolutions of ideas do happen in the USA.
we could pay for single pay by cost shifting from private insurance -which is growing more expensive even as HC costs are slowing down-
to using that as tax money to fund SP.

This isn't just the year of the outsider, it's a year when new voters re coming in and driving change. Obama was more about getting typical base Democrats out.
After 8 years there is an opportunity to do some big things, the only thing holding it back is the plutocrats, like they always do
and American skepticism about our abilities to re-invent our government

" But it has helped millions and that’s good".

How so? How is someone getting something the rest of us have to earn and buy because those of us earning it/buying it are taxed to fund subsidies for the freeloaders a good thing?
Why do you hate old people and children?

You idiots act like there are millions of able bodied Americans living high off the big on your tax dollars, you fools make me laugh.

Why do you hate old people and children?

You idiots act like there are millions of able bodied Americans living high off the big on your tax dollars, you fools make me laugh.

Where did I mention old people and children? I asked how something where those who earned/bought it being forced to earn/buy it for someone else is a good thing. I provide for MY children and if my parents, both in their late 70s, need something, I'll provide it for them. For some reason because I don't choose to support doing that for someone else's children or someone else's kids you think it means I hate them. Next thing you'll tell me is that I hate education because despite providing college to my kids you believe that it's my place to pay more in taxes to provide it to someone else's kid who won't provide it to their own kids.

Where did I mention old people and children? I asked how something where those who earned/bought it being forced to earn/buy it for someone else is a good thing. I provide for MY children and if my parents, both in their late 70s, need something, I'll provide it for them. For some reason because I don't choose to support doing that for someone else's children or someone else's kids you think it means I hate them. Next thing you'll tell me is that I hate education because despite providing college to my kids you believe that it's my place to pay more in taxes to provide it to someone else's kid who won't provide it to their own kids.

Our nation is only as great as our weakest link. Providing an education to all is what made this nation great.

If you knew what you were talking about as far as welfare, you would understand my comment.

Our nation is only as great as our weakest link. Providing an education to all is what made this nation great.

If you knew what you were talking about as far as welfare, you would understand my comment.

That's why I provide an education to MY children. It's not my responsibility to provide college to the kid of parents that won't provide it to their own. I practice the concept and expecting others to do the same for their kids involves me expecting of others what I've proven I already do. Sad thing is you consider me doing that wrong. I do what is expected of me with education, others don't, yet you think I'm wrong and others not doing it are OK.

I've heard the rants about welfare as it relates to children and old people. Doesn't change my statement. It's not my responsibility to support someone else's kids or someone else's parents. It's their job.

That's why I provide an education to MY children. It's not my responsibility to provide college to the kid of parents that won't provide it to their own. I practice the concept and expecting others to do the same for their kids involves me expecting of others what I've proven I already do. Sad thing is you consider me doing that wrong. I do what is expected of me with education, others don't, yet you think I'm wrong and others not doing it are OK.

I've heard the rants about welfare as it relates to children and old people. Doesn't change my statement. It's not my responsibility to support someone else's kids or someone else's parents. It's their job.
We are only as great as our weakest link and I feel proud as an American that we educate our populace and to remain great we must help the weakest link.

We are only as great as our weakest link and I feel proud as an American that we educate our populace and to remain great we must help the weakest link.

If you actually were proud, you'd do it on their behalf and not expect the government to forced it from others. I'm not as much concerned with how education is being funded in the manner it's funded through the 12th grade. It's done through local property taxes for the most part and that is in line with the 10th Amendment of the Constitution. NO ONE has a right beyond that. If you think they do, pay their tuition. It's not my place to do something a kid's own parents won't do.

If the weak links are constantly enabled to remain weak links, where is the incentive to get better?

Back