Norm Coleman Under Investigation by the FBI

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Norm Coleman Under Investigation

Yet another politician is being investigated on corruption charges. The latest FBI investigation involves Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, who's locked in a prolonged recount battle with Democrat Al Franken.

I've written extensively about the allegations, stemming from lawsuits in Texas and Delaware, that top Coleman donor Nasser Kazeminy improperly funneled tens of thousands of dollars to Coleman and/or his wife Laurie.

A few days before the election, a lawsuit filed in a Texas district court alleged that one of Coleman's biggest donors and closest friends, Nasser Kazeminy, had routed $75,000 to Coleman's wife, Laurie. The suit was filed against Kazeminy by Paul McKim, a self-described diehard Republican and CEO of Deep Marine Technologies, a deep sea energy exploration company in Houston in which Kazeminy is controlling shareholder.

A second lawsuit, filed by minority shareholders of DMT in Delaware a few days later, alleged that Kazeminy ordered the payments directly to Coleman. According to the lawsuit, Kazeminy told a confidential source: "We have to get some money to Senator Coleman" because the Senator "needs the money." When McKim and DMT's CFO objected, three payments of $25,000 were then sent to Coleman's wife at a Minneapolis-based insurance firm, the Hays Insurance Co, even though Hays did no work for DMT and is not a licensed insurance broker in Texas, according to the lawsuits. Laurie Coleman is best known as an actress who's lived in Los Angeles, not an insurance broker. "These fraudulent and grossly improper payments cost DMT at least $75,000 and brought absolutely no value to the company," the second lawsuit stated. "These payments expose the Company to serious potential criminal and civil liability."

McKim told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that Kazeminy ordered him to funnel $100,000 of DMT's money to Coleman via Hays. "He said that the senator's wife worked there and she could get the money to him," McKim told the paper. "I was kind of stunned. I was really shocked he would come out and say that so nonchalantly." McKim approved three payments of $25,000 but blocked the fourth payment and was later removed as CEO.

In a Blagojevich-esque moment, Kazeminy reportedly told Deep Marine's CFO that Coleman needed the money because "US Senators don't make shit." The allegations are eerily similar to those that doomed New Jersey Senator Bob Torricelli and Alaska Governor Ted Stevens, who landed in hot water for accepting gifts/cash from campaign donors.

According to the Pioneer Press, "Agents with the FBI have talked to or made efforts to talk to people in Texas familiar with the allegations, according to a source familiar with the situation."

The Coleman campaign says that neither Coleman nor his office has been contacted by the FBI.

That may soon change. Coleman could very well win the Senate seat but see his legal travails remain.
Norm Coleman Under Investigation

It really goes to show you what greed does to human beings. These are all guys who have what the average person would consider, really good paying jobs, with the best medical, dental, and life insurance benefits you're going to get.

But they want more.

It really goes to show you what greed does to human beings. These are all guys who have what the average person would consider, really good paying jobs, with the best medical, dental, and life insurance benefits you're going to get.

But they want more.

... says my fellow bank robber.

I remember this Colemans chap.

Wasn't he the idiot who was in charge of the Senate oil for food enquiry (or whatever it was called) when 'Gorgeous' George Galloway turned up and pissed on his chips?

To answer my own question - yes, yes he was.

Just a reminder.
[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IyyGoPerzWc"]YouTube - George Galloway at the US Senate Part 1[/ame]

What's the backstory on this guy charver?

Galloway was an old style firebrand Labour MP with a notable skill in oratory (he's since been expelled from Labour and formed his own political party and is currently the MP for a London constituency) who had a long record of opposing sanctions on Iraq. There's a notorious video of him meeting Saddam Hussein and hailing his "indefatigability".

Anyway, after the invasion of Iraq, certain documents just happened to be found, in the only surviving filing cabinet in Baghdad, which suggested that Galloway's charity (the Mariam appeal) had been involved in sanctions busting and profiting from the oil for food programme. The US Senate said they were real, Galloway insisted they were forgeries.

George always denied any involvement and nothing has ever been made to stick. Newspapers who suggested the type of thing that this Colemans bloke had been saying found themselves paying substantial libel damages and/or forced to issue full apologies.

He's also very famous over here for appearing on celebrity Big Brother and pretending to be a cat while dressed in a rather unflattering leotard (i'm not making this up as youtube will attest to).

I remember he started that party called Respect didn't he?

Your libel laws are absurd. And the business about the leotard is terrifying.

Back