Notable Democrats: Lester Maddox

You are not familiar with the south are you ? Rascism has little to do with political party in the south.

You are not familiar with the south are you ? Rascism has little to do with political party in the south.

Really. Let's see if some of these names ring a bell.

John Patterson
George Wallace
Al Gore, Sr.
J B Stoner
Bull Conner
Orval Faubus
William Fulbright

In 1958, George Wallace was defeated by John Patterson in Alabama's Democratic gubernatorial primary election, which at the time was the decisive election, the general election still almost always being a mere formality. This was a political crossroads for Wallace. john Patterson ran with the support of the Ku Klux Klan, an organization Wallace had spoken against, while Wallace was endorsed by the NAACP. After the election, aide Seymore Trammell recalled Wallace saying, "Seymore, you know why I lost that governor's race?... I was outniggered by John Patterson. And I'll tell you here and now, I will never be outniggered again." In the wake of his defeat, Wallace adopted hard-line segregationism, and used this stand to court the white vote in the next gubernatorial election.

He would have changed to whatever was popular at the time to get himself elected.

Wallace was extremely progressive when he first started out, but cared much more about the winning elections and keeping power than he did principles.

If he was alive today he would be a Republican.

It is not likely. Senator Robert Byrd, former member of the KKK, isn't a Republican, he is still a proud Democrat basking in the fine Democrat heritage. George Wallace would certainly be a Democrat. I guess you do not remember or have access to the voting record of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. 80% of Republicans voted for the act. 60% of the Democrats. No Democrats in the South voted for the passage of the 1964 civil rights act.

Are you saying that Democrats from the 60s act more like Republicans today. How far to the left have the Democrats moved since the 60s?

He would have changed to whatever was popular at the time to get himself elected.

Wallace was extremely progressive when he first started out, but cared much more about the winning elections and keeping power than he did principles.

Just like Democrats today.

What about the others on the list?

John Patterson
Al Gore, Sr.
J B Stoner
Bull Conner
Orval Faubus
William Fulbright

Do you really think that this bunch would be members of the Republican Party today?

Democrats always know what dead folks would do if they were still alive - after all, dead voters are a large constituency for the Jackass Party in many elections.

Democrats always know what dead folks would do if they were still alive - after all, dead voters are a large constituency for the Jackass Party in many elections.

What a great point!!! I never even considered the dead vote constituency and their influence on elections. Luckily, Desh is here to help keep the historical record accurate.

It is not likely. Senator Robert Byrd, former member of the KKK, isn't a Republican, he is still a proud Democrat basking in the fine Democrat heritage. George Wallace would certainly be a Democrat. I guess you do not remember or have access to the voting record of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. 80% of Republicans voted for the act. 60% of the Democrats. No Democrats in the South voted for the passage of the 1964 civil rights act.

Are you saying that Democrats from the 60s act more like Republicans today. How far to the left have the Democrats moved since the 60s?

You kinda skipped over that part on how in the 70's and 80's, that those same southern conservative democrats switched over to being conservative Republicans. You also gloss over that those same Republicans who supported the civil rights legislation were east coast establishment Republicans and not southern conservatives.

You kinda skipped over that part on how in the 70's and 80's, that those same southern conservative democrats switched over to being conservative Republicans. You also gloss over that those same Republicans who supported the civil rights legislation were east coast establishment Republicans and not southern conservatives.

How dare you bring facts into this?

Which Democrat Congressman became Republican? How many made the switch? Why the low count of Democrat votes for Civil Rights during the 60s? So you are saying that the "Rich" establishment Republicans are the ones responsible for the Civil Rights Act to be passed.

Back