NY city council votes to extend city councils term limits.. NICE

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
I wish I could vote to extend my own job.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Mayor Michael Bloomberg's bid to run for a third term got the all-clear Thursday when the City Council voted to allow term limits to be extended from 8 to 12 years.

Emotional and often outspoken council members voted 29-22 in favor of the extension that now allows officeholders three consecutive four-year terms. About two-thirds of the City Council is currently in their second term.

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/bloomberg.third.term.2.847239.html

I wish I could vote to extend my own job.

NEW YORK (CBS) ― Mayor Michael Bloomberg's bid to run for a third term got the all-clear Thursday when the City Council voted to allow term limits to be extended from 8 to 12 years.

Emotional and often outspoken council members voted 29-22 in favor of the extension that now allows officeholders three consecutive four-year terms. About two-thirds of the City Council is currently in their second term.

http://wcbstv.com/breakingnewsalerts/bloomberg.third.term.2.847239.html

But would you then put your job up for a vote?

I think term limits are stupid. If you don't think someone should run for more than two terms, just don't vote for them. There's no reason an excellent lawmaker should only be limited to eight years even though his constituents love him.

And Chap, only the voters will decide whether or not he's "extending his job".

Alright then vote against your incumbent senators. There's no reason you have to enforce this undemocratic provision on me.

Its undemocratic that we cant vote to have term limits. Id at a minimum like to see what people felt about it.

Its undemocratic that we cant vote to have term limits. Id at a minimum like to see what people felt about it.

I don't really like direct democracy, for the same reason the founders didn't. Reading a description on the ballot isn't adequate debate time to decide on something, and some truly atrocious legislation has been produced out of California's initiative system. Term limits sound better on a ballot than whenever actually thought out. Again, if you want term limits you are always free as a person to impose them yourself instead of imposing them on other people. But it's simply a poor criterion for voting on someone.

Term Limits have always existed. They are called losing your seat because voters don't like you anymore. Daschle anyone? Elizabeth Dole this year...Anyone?

Back