NY's next governor: David Paterson

Now here is the REALLY cool question. Spitzer was (is?) a superdelegate. Did that come from him being governor? I think it did. So NOW David Patterson would be the Super D. Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

that's pretty cool.

Hopefully, he can lay off the prostitutes. Hopefully, he doesn't roll like that. :)

A radio DJ here said yesterday, that Paterson won't have to pay $5,500/hr for his hookers. Being blind, he can take any old ugly one lying around, at bargain prices.

See, things are improving in New York already.

I dont think it works quite that way does it?

Mississippi has like 8 superdelegates, and I have no idea where they get that from because we only have 3 elected/statewide Democratic officials. Apparently it is more complicated than that, and they might give people SD spots ex-officio, which means Spitzer would still be an SD.

I believe they elected at the democratic national convention.

I think the selection may vary by state. In WI, they were selected at the State convention. As was the case with that Rae kid at Marquette. He ran to represent his area... (and beat out a state legislator and union leader in the process.)

I dont think it works quite that way does it?
From the Green Papers on 2008 Democratic party "Unpledged Delegates"

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/D-Alloc.phtml

Democratic Governors of the 50 states along with the following officeholders (assuming, of course, that they are Democrats):
the territorial Governor of American Samoa
the Mayor of the District of Columbia
the territorial Governor of Guam
the Governor of Puerto Rico
the territorial Governor of the Virgin Islands

So Spitzer, a Hilary delegate is out and Patterson, an unknown is in.

I think the selection may vary by state. In WI, they were selected at the State convention. As was the case with that Rae kid at Marquette. He ran to represent his area... (and beat out a state legislator and union leader in the process.)

Depends from state to state. However, there are some that are set in stone. These include:

2. The Democratic President and the Democratic Vice President of the United States, if applicable; and,

3. All Democratic members of the United States House of Representatives and all Democratic members of the United States Senate; and,

4. The Democratic Governor, if applicable; and,

5. All former Democratic Presidents, all former Democratic Vice Presidents, all
former Democratic Leaders of the U.S. Senate, all former Democratic Speakers of the U.S. House of Representatives and Democratic Minority Leaders, as applicable, and all former Chairs of the Democratic National Committee.

All democratic governors are Superdelegates. The following rule applies to Superdelegates that are delegates by virtue of the above quoted material:

Delegates elected under the provisions of Rules 9.A. and 9.B. shall not be entitled to name a replacement under Rule 18.D. nor shall the state be entitled to a replacement except in case of death.

So, Spitzer cannot name a replacement nor is the state entitled to a replacement so it seems that's just one less delegate. Whether the new governor becomes a superdelegate by virtue of being a Democratic governor remains unclear.

The problem is that the states have to name their Superdelegates by March 1, 2008:

Not later than March 1, 2008, the Secretary of the Democratic National Committee shall officially confirm to each State Democratic Chair the names of the following unpledged delegates who legally reside in their respective state and who shall be recognized as part of their state’s delegation unless any such member has publicly expressed support for the election of, or has endorsed, a presidential candidate of another political party

So, since Spitzer was already named and can't be replaced, it's just one less superdelegate.

Depends from state to state. However, there are some that are set in stone. These include:

All democratic governors are Superdelegates. The following rule applies to Superdelegates that are delegates by virtue of the above quoted material:

So, Spitzer cannot name a replacement nor is the state entitled to a replacement so it seems that's just one less delegate. Whether the new governor becomes a superdelegate by virtue of being a Democratic governor remains unclear.

Thanks for all of that. Very informative.

Back