NYT to Women: Get Back in the Kitchen!!

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livi...-really-equal-larger-waistline-192700982.html

Yahoo has a response to an article that appeared in the NYT, which lays the claim that women's waistlines are getting larger (well, this is America...) and that fewer hours spent doing their domestic chores are responsible. Well, that's not going to raise any eyebrows.

Darla should get a kick out of this one, and I'm expecting a great feud between her and SF in this thread, as well as a crapload of sexist jokes to follw. So, please don't everyone disappoint me at once!

:yurtandpoet:

Yep, that is my basic takeaway.

Regarding stairs, they have become one of the most daunting aspects of workplaces and shopping malls.

Okay, maybe Im barking up the wrong tree, but does anybody wish to discuss the objectivity of this? The fallacies? I fear I may have come across as something I'm not; not completely anyhow.

This, for instance, is a piece that is purposefully targeted at women, and in a way designed to grab unnesscessary attention (although what was the exact purpose of the research in the first place?). While it is possible to be objective on this, was this done as some political piece? I support society returning to more traditional roles, but hardly like those described in the (1956?) - Good Housekeeping mags.

Does this properly take into account things like fast food (which IIRC, was healthier back then or at least lacked the chemicals that inhibit clean digestion)? What about men? Men in the 1960s weren't 'fatter' because they often scurtted housework.

Considering the different role of television back then, and the more active lifestyles enjoyed by all (kids went outside, parents walked more, no internets or automated typing/word proscessors; Not to the public). Other sites mention the idea that the source kind of assumes causation instead of coorelation. . . To be fair they do say 'may', but with the media always reshaping the meaning of our admitedly living language I doubt many actually caught on to the difference.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's entirely modern circumstances. Besides, housework is exhausting, but it isn't a cardio workout. My girlfriend is a massage therapist, and a slave to her work. She is constantly doing physical labor on the job, but that doesn't provide her with cardio, so she needs to workout like those of us who work in an office setting behind a computer...

Also, it was discovered that even after the technological revolutions of the 20s-50s, women were not spending any less time doing housework than they had in the old days. In fact, they were often having to spend more time. The automated machinery and abundance of consumer goods might have made tasks less labour intensive and faster/more efficient, but society simply made expectations far greater on what was considered a well-maintained house. A house in the early 20th century could have some dust and dirt about it. By 1960, everything had to be squeaky clean and shiny.

Back