Obama and YIMBYism

Baby steps forward are still steps forward.

Progressive ideas are popular, but it'll take multiple election cycles to get politicians confident enough to embrace them. Even AOC went a little light on the Gaza issue during her speech where previously she had called it a genocide on the house floor. She may be eyeballing a bigger position than her current one.

Baby steps forward are still steps forward.
Maybe I'm more bullish (or just unrealistically hopeful), but I'd argue Obama saying we need more housing and need to reduce the barriers that prevent us from building more housing is more than just baby steps.

Well until an actual policy is put into place that's what I'm calling it. I'd personally also like more anti-trust action against real estate investors buying all the houses to artificially raise demand/lower supply.

I prefer to let the free market work. But if we must build public housing we should do it on Martha's Vineyard first.
It's not about public housing, it's about building more market rate housing. And that's why I said it's not about Harris' plan (although Obama spoke about it) it's the principle about we need more supply and we need to reduce barriers to allowing the market to produce it. That Obama even referred to that says a lot about where the discussion on housing has gone.

Well until an actual policy is put into place that's what I'm calling it. I'd personally also like more anti-trust action against real estate investors buying all the houses to artificially raise demand/lower supply.
Most housing rules/regulations are made at the state and local level. It’s why we don’t hear national politicians talk much about housing.

So any federal plan is only going to do so much. It’s more the mindset of we have to add supply and Obama is expressing that here.

Back