Obama gives Mexico state handgun registries

DamnYankee

Loyal to the end
By Bob Confer
Niagara Gazette
Two weeks ago, President Obama met with Mexico’s Felipe Calderon and Canada’s Stephen Harper in Mexico for a get-together of North America’s leaders. Since the inception of this annual meeting during the Bush presidency in 2005, many have rightly believed that the heads of state have used this powwow to sell-out the rights of their peoples in an effort to foster North American unity while forsaking national sovereignty.

This year’s meeting was no different.

Barack Obama, never the fan of our Second Amendment, said for the umpteenth time that the U.S. must assume responsibility for the weapons that have accounted for 4,000 murders so far this year in Mexico. He believes, as does Calderon, that the vicious Mexican drug cartels are outfitted solely with American guns and by controlling guns in the U.S. the federal government can control the violence in Mexico.

So committed is he to this far-fetched pursuit that, following the leaders summit, Obama directed Homeland Security’s Janet Napolitano to sign an agreement indicating the U.S. will work hand-in-hand with Mexican law enforcement to, among other things, track the guns, even going so far as to share information which includes state handgun registries.

This is a disturbing development. Sharing gun ownership information with a foreign entity is unprecedented, if not illegal. Data about who owns guns in the United States should be none of Mexico’s business. Quite frankly, it should be none of our government’s business either. The gun owner should be the only one who knows what he owns.

Our leaders have been so willing to deny our privacy because they have succumbed to false statistics. Popular ATF and media reports indicate that 90 percent of all guns used by Mexican cartels come from the United States. This number is only partially correct: In one study, 90 percent of all traceable guns (taken from a managed statistical sampling no less) lead to the U.S. Not all guns — especially long guns — are traceable. The only weapons that are truly traceable are handguns from states with pistol permits.

Most of the guns used by the cartels are not of American origin. This is a fact, not hearsay, according to a detailed analysis conducted by ATF agent William Newell. He found that just 17 percent of guns confiscated by the Mexican government are actually from the U.S. The remaining 83 percent of the cartels’ firearms come from Mexico’s southern neighbors as well as the Mexican government itself — many of them are assault weapons that came with the more than 15,000 one-time Mexican military men who have jumped ship to the higher-paying cartels.

Nevertheless, Obama and the gun-control lobby don’t see it that way and, when their statistics fail, they prefer to use fear-mongering anecdotal stories about Mexico’s violence spilling over into the streets of America. Take the guns off our streets and you’ll take them off Mexico’s streets, which, in turn, will keep them off our streets, they say. They believe that restricting the ability of an individual to buy guns is the best way to curb this violence. When President Obama was Senator Obama, he constantly trumpeted this cause (even without Mexico in the equation), calling for strict limitations on who can buy guns and ammunition and how much of both.

He and his followers fail to understand that you can never regulate lawbreakers. Gun control does not work. Mexico is proof positive of this. Among the North American countries, it has the strictest gun laws and, of course, it has the highest percentage of gun crimes because the gun-toting predators have the advantage over their straight-laced weaponless prey.

Gun control (against the law-abiding) is so rigid in Mexico that there is only one gun store in the entire country of some 109 million people and it is run by the Army. Only a few very lucky souls are licensed to own a gun, and they face limitations on how much ammo then can buy and where they can take their firearm. This has done absolutely nothing to curb violence: 14,000 Mexicans have been murdered since Calderon took office in 2006.

Taking all of this into consideration, we cannot allow ourselves to be duped by the Mexican myths that are used by the Left to foster support for gun control. Mexico’s gun problem is Mexico’s gun problem. Not ours.

We as the United States have a long history of being a freedom-loving people who believe in the natural right to self-defense. Our nation was created from that right. We cannot allow a neighboring nation to directly or indirectly strip that right from us.

Bob Confer is a Gasport resident and vice president of Confer Plastics Inc. in North Tonawanda. E-mail him at bobconfer@juno.com.

This is from the onion, right? Because anyone with gun law knowledge would know that there are only two ways to get gun registration information.

1) the half dozen states that actually require gun registration would have to surrender those lists to the feds, which would then be a violation of law because those lists are for law enforcement purposes only,

2) The federal form 4473 (used for NICS checks when buying a gun) are kept at the shop where a person bought the gun, unless the business closes then all forms go to ATF. All of those forms would have had to have been collected, by the ATF, and can only be used for law enforcement purposes, which would then make this a violation of federal law.

The DOJ would have to know this and if it actually happened, Obama handing over this information for purposes other than law enforcement, he just committed a felony.

I got it in an email, and it says the source is the Niagara Gazette. I don't know if The Onion picked it up or not.

So Obama would be committing a felony if he goes through it. I don't think that would concern him, since he'd just issue an Executive Order allowing himself to do it. *shrug*

This is from the onion, right? Because anyone with gun law knowledge would know that there are only two ways to get gun registration information.

1) the half dozen states that actually require gun registration would have to surrender those lists to the feds, which would then be a violation of law because those lists are for law enforcement purposes only,

2) The federal form 4473 (used for NICS checks when buying a gun) are kept at the shop where a person bought the gun, unless the business closes then all forms go to ATF. All of those forms would have had to have been collected, by the ATF, and can only be used for law enforcement purposes, which would then make this a violation of federal law.

The DOJ would have to know this and if it actually happened, Obama handing over this information for purposes other than law enforcement, he just committed a felony.

Assuming the piece is accurate, how is using gun registry lists to track guns that are used in criminal acts not a law enforcement purpose?

I don't why you assume it isn't for a law enforcement purpose.

I got it in an email, and it says the source is the Niagara Gazette. I don't know if The Onion picked it up or not.

So Obama would be committing a felony if he goes through it. I don't think that would concern him, since he'd just issue an Executive Order allowing himself to do it. *shrug*

not sure of the legalities that an executive order can override a law that congress enacted back in the 90s. I believe that could be grounds for impeachment, not that it would ever happen, even with the pro gun dems in office right now.

Assuming the piece is accurate, how is using gun registry lists to track guns that are used in criminal acts not a law enforcement purpose?

I don't why you assume it isn't for a law enforcement purpose.

The law enforcement purposes it to perform a trace on ownership of the weapon if it's involved in a crime. Handing the list to a law enforcement agency that isn't of the US seems a huge stretch of the law.

You wouldn't be approving of this because you're anti gun, would you? or because it's being done by a democrat?

how does it infringe on anyones right to own a gun?
You're kidding, right?

This is like a righty insisting that the FBI files on protesters during the VN war didn't violate any part of a person's rights.

Ugh.. sick.

not sure of the legalities that an executive order can override a law that congress enacted back in the 90s. I believe that could be grounds for impeachment, not that it would ever happen, even with the pro gun dems in office right now.

Heh. Awesome.

I imagine that the President will just have his cronies at the DOJ OLC issue an opinion that states that since this involves diplomacy with foreign nations which is exclusively the sphere of the Executive Branch any law passed by Congress that purports to limit the Executive authority in dealing with foreign nations is an unconstitutional infringement and can be disregarded. Voila.

I just wonder if there is any precedent for such action. Hmmmm . . .

You're kidding, right?

This is like a righty insisting that the FBI files on protesters during the VN war didn't violate any part of a person's rights.

Ugh.. sick.

Is it like that? I suppose one could argue that the gun registry information is somewhat like that but whether it is shared with Mexican authorities doesn't seem to be like that at all.

The law enforcement purposes it to perform a trace on ownership of the weapon if it's involved in a crime. Handing the list to a law enforcement agency that isn't of the US seems a huge stretch of the law.

You wouldn't be approving of this because you're anti gun, would you? or because it's being done by a democrat?

I'm not an expert on gun laws and such, but I assume that there are various laws that would have been broken for a gun purchased and registered in the United States to end up being involved in a crime down in Mexico, no?

And if they're just handing over lists to the Mexican government I'd agree with you that it is unnecessary. If, however, the Mexican government confiscates guns and gives serial number information to the United States to cross-reference with guns registries I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Heh. Awesome.

I imagine that the President will just have his cronies at the DOJ OLC issue an opinion that states that since this involves diplomacy with foreign nations which is exclusively the sphere of the Executive Branch any law passed by Congress that purports to limit the Executive authority in dealing with foreign nations is an unconstitutional infringement and can be disregarded. Voila.

Translation: 'fuck the law, fuck the Constitution, fuck you'. Typical Lib. *shrug*

Its a law inforcement issue.

Have you noticed Americans are being endangered by the drug lord activities right here in the US.

I LOVE that Mexico has now made users a non police problem.

Its going to really help to concentrate their efforts on the real assholes.

Heh. Awesome.

in which case every liberal that screamed bloody murder over Bush signing statements, but approve of this action, would be exposed as hypocrites. Sure that wouldn't bother them much though.

Is it like that? I suppose one could argue that the gun registry information is somewhat like that but whether it is shared with Mexican authorities doesn't seem to be like that at all.
Right, "sharing" those files with even local governments would have given even worse conniption fits (actually should say "did" there was a huge local controversy here in Denver from it), let alone giving them to foreign nations.

I'm not an expert on gun laws and such, but I assume that there are various laws that would have been broken for a gun purchased and registered in the United States to end up being involved in a crime down in Mexico, no?
There is currently no law in the US that prohibits selling a rifle to anyone, other than a convicted felon and such. If a rifle is sold to someone who then takes it to mexico, the person that crossed the border would be violating mexican law, not US law.

And if they're just handing over lists to the Mexican government I'd agree with you that it is unnecessary. If, however, the Mexican government confiscates guns and gives serial number information to the United States to cross-reference with guns registries I wouldn't have a problem with it.
now that kind of trace wouldn't be a problem. completely legal.

Back